Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Droverunner

Bravia KDL-42W705 - Netflix only works if TV is factory reset each time.

Bought TV new in Jan '15 and everything about it has been great until a couple of weeks ago. Now Netflix will randomly stop working and only comes back with a full TV factory reset. Sometimes it will work throughout a day then need a reset to work the following day. Sometimes you only need to come out of Netflix for a moment and it will not work if you go back in minutes later.

It will always come back for a full TV factory reset but that's an absolute pain.

The TV is networked to our BT Home Hub via wi-fi and Youtube etc still works OK so I assume the wi-fi is OK.

We have a Youview PVR connected to the TV via the same home hub and Netflix works fine on this playing to the TV via HDMI... but that's not the point as it's a feature of the TV we want to work without additional equipment.

The TV has the latest firmware.

My problem seems different to most Netflix issues on this site as the usual complaint is it just doesn't work at all. Any thoughts appreciated.

72 REPLIES 72
Droverunner

I'm guessing swapping or refunding a TV depends on where you purchased. We bought from John Lewis who give a full 5-yr warranty and are also known for taking customer complaints seriously. I'm speaking to them later to see if they can put pressure on Sony and if no success swap it for another brand. Shame as everything else about it is perfect. Ours is 10mths old.

mickfootie
Explorer

I have been asking a few questions and it would seem that Sony are actually having an issue with their updates which is possibly causing the issues people are having with the Netflix app.

Droverunner

Just had a mail from Sony that contains this advice...

In an attempt to resolve this matter, please note that it will be very helpful if you apply the steps below:

·    Go to “Home”.

·    Select “Settings”.

·    Select “Network”.

·    Select “Remote start”.

·    Switch to Off

Then, you may unplug the TV power cord for one minute and re-plug it again. If that did not resolve the issue, please note that you may apply the below steps:

·    Go to “Home”.

·    Select “Settings”.

·    Select “System Preferences”.

·    Select “Date & Time”.

·    Select “Automatic Date & time”

·    Switch to Off

Then, you may unplug the TV power cord for one minute and re-plug it again. Please advise which step resolved the issue.

The problem with this is twofold... neither made any difference and I do not see turning menu setting to a specific state as a legitimate solution anyway.

Bit fed up with this now.

Cicero46

Well, the Sony technical team should have received my detailed report on Tuesday morning and I was told to expect a response in about two business days (i.e. about now). But I haven't received an email yet. They certainly seem to be working on it and I guess their request to @Droverunner is an attempt to confirm their initial findings. They won't expect us to apply these workarounds for ever, but will issue a firmware update when they are confident that they understand the problem - and believe in the solution.

i can't do this test before tomorrow morning, but will do it then, on both my TVs.

mickfootie
Explorer

It does seem that, as i was told, the firmware updates are the issues. The majority of people i have spoke with have had this problem since they did an update in November. Coincidence? No!

Cicero46

A problem with the firmware update was my initial suspicion, given the fault on both of my Sony TVs happened just after the update. I was also influenced by a similar fault on my similar LG TV at the same time. They may have released a Netflix update in firmware updates in the same timeframe (or it may have been a coincidence). I fixed the LG problem by executing a Reload Netflix option, which on LG is available alongside the Reset Netflix option displayed when you get the error diagnostics and network test (the green ticks). I guess there is a difference in the firmware architecture which enables LG to give you this useful option.

Cicero46

I also looked at the firmware upgrade release notes "Improve the general performance of the TV - v2.704" and it relates to the 705B and 705C as well as several other models.

Droverunner

Well this is getting beyond annoying.

Phoned Sony just now. I have a case number so they should know what's been tried before. Told them neither "fix" in their e.mail helped so I had to hold while they "escalated to technical". The girl was pleased to tell me they had the answer if I could go in front of my TV and... at this point I said read me the steps you are going to ask me to do.

Well you can guess... turn it off... hold the power button down... turn it on... sign out of Netflix... sign in again and it will be OK.

I had to explain I'd done that so many times myself, also they'd asked me to do that last week right at the start and knew it didn't help.

So she started saying it wasn't a problem with my TV at which point I politely said bye and phoned the John Lewis tech helpline.

They phoned Sony quoting my case number while I held. Sony first told them it must be my wi-fi to which JL were able to say I'd plugged it in with an ethernet cable. Then they said it must be some Nertflix/ISP issue to which JL replied we were receiving Netflix perfectly on a Youview box. Only at this point did Sony start mumbling about a software issue and another firmware update due next month.

John Lewis have given Sony 48hrs to give me an honest and meaningful reply or JL will have to swap the TV.

I have to say I've been around Sony gear for around 45yrs and always regarded it as a reliable premium product but this experience has damaged my trust in the brand. To have their tech helpline treat me like a fool constantly taking me round the "turn it off-turn it on again" loop all the while denying there is an issue is disgraceful.

Cicero46

@Droverunner's experience is beyond incompetence on the pattern of Sony. One of my TVs was from John Lewis about 3 months ago; the second was from AVIVA, the insurance company about a month ago. They asked if the Sony would be an acceptable alternative for the damaged TV they were replacing. Based on the first one, up to that point, I was happy with that. I don't know where they sourced it from, but I would need to deal through AVIVA anyway.

I have just sent a follow up email to the one with all the technical info I sent on Monday evening in response to their detailed questions, asking if they've had any feedback from the technical team and asking for an update after three business days. No point phoning them or I'll have to go through the inevitable support script yet again. Anyway, I'm not at home!

Cicero46

Here's an update from me. Friday midday, I received a polite response to Thursday's email following up the escalation of my case to the technical team: "In regards to the issue you are facing, we apologize for any unintended delay and will get back to you as soon as possible". I guess this means they are still trying to address the problem. I had asked whether they needed any more information from me and there was no indication that they did.

Meanwhile, problem still exists on both TVs. I did try the two solutions offered to @Droverunner last week and neither of them seemed to quite match the menu options available on the 705C.