Join now - be part of our community!

Download Windows disk and drivers disk?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
NickC_UK
Visitor

Download Windows disk and drivers disk?

Is there anywhere I can download the drivers disk and windows media for a Sony VAIO all-in-one machine.  My hard disk has died and I need to reinstall windows but the machine did not come with any install CDs.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NickC_UK2
New

New HDD installed, recovery from cds worked fine.

This was just a bog standard current model (SATA III) disk drive.  No idea what rubbish Sony Support were talking about with these hidden files.

If you are able to pass a message back up the chain perhaps you could ask that Sony Support staff stop talking nonsense:smileyhappy:, remember their original comment:

Please be informed that in case you have changed the hard drive, due to copy rights and compatibility, Sony recovery discs will not be recognized by the hard drive.

Many thanks for your help Rich.

Nick

Message was edited by: NickC_UK2

Message was edited by: NickC_UK2

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Inappropriate language removed by Moderator

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi NickC_UK,

Sony, in common with most computer manufactures, don't supply install CD's and you should have created these youself.

You can download drivers and utilities from the support site but most of the preinstalled software is not available for download nor is the OS.

Your options are to purchase a retail copy of Windows and then download and install the drivers and utilities from this site or purchase a set of recovery disks from Support which will provide an 'as delivered' system.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NickC_UK2
New

So how do I purchase a set of recovery disks?  I have tried sending message via the Sony support page but no one ever replies to them.  Is there a proper email address I can contact to arrange purchase of this install media.

Thanks,

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Assuming your machine is out of warranty you will need to call Support on the OOW number - from the UK the number is 0905 0310006.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

NickC_UK2 wrote:

Problem is they say that the recovery disk will only install on a new drive if that drive has been replaced by a Sony Repair Center, apperently because they need to write some hidden files onto the drive before the recovery disk will install!  Is this true or are they telling me a pile of rubbish.

Can anyone tell me what files need to be written to the new disk to allow the recovery disk to install?

As far as I am aware that is not the case and the disks should work on a new drive installed by you without recourse to so called hidden files. That is unless things have recently changed...

Do you by any chance have the name of the agent that gave you this information as this needs to be escalated?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NickC_UK2
New

Can't call that number, our telecoms provider blocks all Extremely-High charge numbers....  found some alternative numbers and have now spoken to Sony.

Problem is they say that the recovery disk will only install on a new drive if that drive has been replaced by a Sony Repair Center, apperently because they need to write some hidden files onto the drive before the recovery disk will install!  Is this true or are they telling me a pile of rubbish.

Can anyone tell me what files need to be written to the new disk to allow the recovery disk to install?

NickC_UK2
New

Thanks Rich, I will order the install media then and hope that it works then.

Unfortunately I didn't get a name, just know it was a male with an american accent at some department called Sony VAIO-Link.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nick,

If you can wait a short while I will try to get a definitive answer on this - it has been escalated but may take a couple of days...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
NickC_UK2
New

That would be great, thanks Rich.

NickC_UK2
New

Will still wait for your answer Rich but in the meantime I have had a reply from Sony technical:

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your recent email.

I appreciate your enquiry about obtaining recovery discs for your VAIO computer.

Please be informed that in case you have changed the hard drive, due to copy rights and compatibility, Sony recovery discs will not be recognized by the hard drive.

If the diagnostics is very genuine and professional so you are sure that the hard drive has malfunctioned, I would like to invite you to have the VAIO repaired at our repair centre.

The recovery discs are available for your information and will cost £46.79.

In case you have decided the repair, please read the following procedures:

We have an excellent network of repair centers which are able to repair the out of warranty VAIOs and you can use the link below to find the nearest one for you:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Alternatively if you would like your VAIO collected I can arrange for our repair center to contact you to discuss costs.

What does 'due to copy rights and compatibility' mean?

Nick