Join now - be part of our community!

Help.....STATIC OR DYNAMIC?

sammiimmas
Visitor

Help.....STATIC OR DYNAMIC?

VGN-SZ2HP/B

When I connect the laptop to a wireless router through an ethernet connection I'm getting the following response:

Internet connection static(fixed) IP detected

Anybody tell me the difference between a static IP and a dynamic IP?

Also is it compatible with my laptop or is something wrong?

Sammi

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Sammi

Static IP means that the IP is always the same when you log on, for example 99.99.99.99

Dynamic means that every time you log on you are given a different IP, for example on day you could have that above, another day 194.000.000.000

sammiimmas
Visitor

Sooo does that mean I should be worried?
Or is that just normal?

Sammi:smileysad:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sammi,

Have a look at This Definition

There are Pros and Cons of both. A static address allows other computers to find your Vaio on the internet. However, this can be a disadvantage if a hacker has your details - it makes it easier to find your Vaio again !!

It may just be your Local Area Network that has a static IP and this is quite normal. It may just be connection between your router and your Vaio that is static.

Try Start -> Run -> CMD -> IPCONFIG /ALL

You should see a Local Area Ethernet connection to your router (often something like 192.168.0.1)

You should also see your internet connection (PPP or WAN). Try disconnecting from the internet and re-connecting, to see if you have the same IP address.

:thinking:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

...edited, may I shouldn't cook coffee during posting.

Like Blencogo said, may your local network is using a static IP.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LOL Seb reminds me of that scene where Arnold Schwarzenegger said "you shoudln't bake while drunk" in Raw Deal.

Static IPs are not that good for Internet use, but as it's quite expensive for an ISP to offer you one just don't bother with it