Join now - be part of our community!

Nvidia geforce 8400m gt issue

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
aldciarr
Visitor

Nvidia geforce 8400m gt issue

Hi All,

I hope that you can help. I have a 3 year old Vaio Model PCG-3A1M running vista. The display adaptor, a Nvidia geforce 8400m gt keeps failing causing green vertical lines to cover the screen and a "Rundll32 has stopped working" msg to appear.

Any ideas how to resolve this? I think I read somewhere a while ago that this was a known issue,

Thanks in advance for any help,

Al

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, that is one of the models with the known nVidia issue.

Go to the support page for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FZ38M&l=en_GB

Click on 'Support' and look in the section for 'Hot News'.  Select 'Distorted Video ......' and you can read the statement from Sony.

If your issue is caused by the known problem, Sony will repair your Vaio provided it is less than 4 years old.

Good Luck.

:wink:

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jonroper3,

Yours is not one of the models that Sony has acknowledged as being affected by the NVIDIA chip problem.

As your machine is out of warranty you will need to call 0905 0310006 (0.35 £/min)

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Al,

Can you please check your Vaio model - you are quoting an invalid model type.  It will probably give the correct model - starting VGN - on the surround to the screen.

Modelname.png

aldciarr
Visitor

Sorry I found the number above on the back, the model is VGN-FZ38M

aldciarr
Visitor

Now I have used the correct model number I think I have found the answer: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=VGNFZ290&news_id=349

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, that is one of the models with the known nVidia issue.

Go to the support page for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/specifications/index.aspx?m=VGN-FZ38M&l=en_GB

Click on 'Support' and look in the section for 'Hot News'.  Select 'Distorted Video ......' and you can read the statement from Sony.

If your issue is caused by the known problem, Sony will repair your Vaio provided it is less than 4 years old.

Good Luck.

aldciarr
Visitor

Blencogo you are a star. I wish I had posted here early last year when the problem first started. I just decided to purchase a Dell because I was so disapointed in Sony and could not live without my business computer while John Lewis fixed the issue. Once I got the new computer I left the Sony in a corner until last night when I tought I would post here.

This is a great forum, I will post the outcome to let others know how sony responded,

Thanks again,

Al

aldciarr
Visitor

Update.

I contacted Sony who confirmed that they know of the issue. DHL was sent to pick up my laptop and Sony replaced the main board and updated BIOS. I had the computer back in 5 days so I am very happy with the way Sony has dealt with this and thanks again for your help.

Al

jonroper3
Visitor

I have an identical issue to this with a VGN-AR51E VIAO with at GeForce 8400M GT

However I live in the UK and can't find any information on the UK support site.

Could you give me the equivalent link for the Sony UK service centre to resolve it.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jonroper3,

Yours is not one of the models that Sony has acknowledged as being affected by the NVIDIA chip problem.

As your machine is out of warranty you will need to call 0905 0310006 (0.35 £/min)

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jonroper3
Visitor

35p per minute, how generous!