Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K215M Hard Reset

JohnGL4
Visitor

PCG-K215M Hard Reset

Hi after suffering total loss of laptop ie no power laptop sent back to Sony under warranty I was told all it needed was a HARD RESET how do i do this in future where is the the button to reset also told it was because i installed extra memory taking it over 512 limit something about a power surge due to extra memory i read on VAIO site PCG-K215M can handle 1012 meg I used specific for the model 512 meg and original 256 would this have caused the problem?

Thank you
John

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Infinion RAM! That is interesting

Infinion RAM in the GR series also!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Infinion RAM in the GR series also!

Mine is Samsung

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I think the reason is that you can't buy laptop RAM from Samsung which has a higher speed as 266MHz.

I have the feeling that you pay for Sony RAM which you aren't get. As I wrote a message to the e-support, because my RAM is very slow for DDR266, and have sad that the RAM is from Samsung, the e-support has ask me after this "Is this the original RAM?".

ROFLMFAO
(Sorry that I'm totally out of topic)

kee-lo_

ROFLMFAO Seb, it's funny how you challenge VL, I love it...... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

JohnGL4
Visitor

Cannot find 2mm hole or any other hole apart from screw holes round edge have even taken stickers off laptop only 6 months old would they have changed recently memory in machine and running nicely
Infineon 256meg PC2100
Micron Tech 512meg PC2700

FieldValue
Memory Module Properties
Module NameMicron Tech. 8VDDT6464HDG-335C1
Serial Number770CACF6h
Manufacture DateWeek 23 / 2004
Module Size512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module TypeUnbuffered
Memory TypeDDR SDRAM
Memory SpeedPC2700 (166 MHz)
Module Width64 bit
Module VoltageSSTL 2.5
Error Detection MethodNone
Refresh RateReduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

kee-lo_

I would never mix the type of RAM modules

seb21__
Visitor

The hole on the botton of my VAIO is lateral the sticker, where you can read the Model and Seriel number.

I have to agree with Kee-Lo. The manufacturer is not so important. But the type must be the same (my opinion)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Infineon 256meg PC2100
Micron Tech 512meg PC2700

As Kee-Lo suggests, this is probably the cause. I theory it should be ok, but in practice it can cause problems.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
JohnGL4
Visitor

I agree
I told supplier laptop make and model and that is what they supplied need to get anther 512meg but it runs nice and never a problem until it wouldn't work after normal shutdown. But it does seem i will have to look deeper for reset button if it happens again, because there is no hole just wondering if it is only accessible from inside the machine

seb21__
Visitor

But it does seem i will have to look deeper for reset button if it happens again, because there is no hole just wondering if it is only accessible from inside the machine

That would be my first laptop without any reset button. There must be a hole.