Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

loathsome
Visitor

Sony Vaio and Windows Vista. EVERYTHING you need in this thread! Hotkeys fix, official patch from MS. Whine fix, make your VAIO run silent!

Hi all.

I've recently set up my VAIO notebook to fully, 100%, support Windows Vista. Took me some time, but it was certainly worth it :cool:

Okay, here's what you need:

- Drivers. Go to the VAIO Vista Upgrade web site to download these. What you'd want to grab from that page:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service
These are the most required ones. You MUST download and install these.
-----
Further, the following aren't necessary, but very useful:
~ Alps Pointing-device for VAIO (for your touchpad to work properly)
~ FlashMedia (if you're using the media readers/writers)
~ MemoryStick Icon Registry patch (nothing important, just a nice icon for the MemoryStick to show up in Computer, like this: :tongue:

Also, if your VAIO notebook has built hardware such as a camera, bluetooth etc., grab the proper drivers for them as well.

Graphics driver are NOT necessary, as all versions of Vista supports the Intel GMA-chipset. I would neither recommend installing the VAIO Power Management, as Vista also has this built in.
-----
Hotkeys
Probably one of the biggest "losses" in Vista. I see lots of post asking how to get the hotkeys to work. Here's the SOLUTION with an official patch from Microsoft:

You MUST install the following:
~ Setting Utility Series
~ Shared Library
~ Utilities
~ VAIO Event Service

After installing, reboot your notebook. Then grab the Sony Notebook Control Device update from Microsoft at this link:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/7816_2_a5db7ce11f55024ce049b...
(sniffed by me, loathsome) edit, added; I've attached a mirror of the Sony NCD. Look at the bottom.

After you've downloaded, open up Device Manager and install them for "Unknown device". Your hotkeys should work immediately. If not, try rebooting.

Whine fix
Some users, included myself, notice a small, high pitched noise coming from the notebook. This is extremely annoying if you're in a silent enviroment. I've come up with a solution to this. Download RMClock, and under "Management" enable "Run HLT command when OS is idle". Restart the program and the sound is gone - for ever. You can also make it start with Windows, so you'll never have to bother with it again. This WILL shorten your batterylife, but only with 3-7%, according to my tests.

That's all, enjoy Windows Vista! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me,
loathsome+

208 REPLIES 208
GazzaBloom
Visitor

Ok

I have managed to install Setting Utility Series & Vaio Event Service. When I install Sony Shared Library, it never seems to install, I have tried disabling UAC & booting into safe mode and installing to no avail.

The install process just seems to "cut off" after the small "Copying..." box appears at the top right?

When I install Sony Utilities DLL (Which I assume is "Utilities") the computer complains that the incorrect battery is installed or not connected? I know that the correct battery is installed because its the one that came with the notebook!

Is there anyway I can get this stuff working?

Thanks

Stewart

I have the same problem with the Vista updates for my VGN-A217S. The installers on several of the new apps seem to fail and not complete the install. I've found a fix but even though the apps now appear to install correctly I still can't get the hotkeys or DVD tray button to work.

Fix to install problem:

Download all of the apps (I prefix them with a number so it's easy to assemble them in the correct order for install) Then use WINRAR to "unpack" each one to a new folder. These new folders will have several files including and install.exe.

Run the install from the new folders.

This seems to fix the install problems but as I've said even after that I still cannot get my A217S working fully under Vista. I can see the Sony Utilities cog wheel icon in Control Panel and it opens up the program to allow adjustment of hotkeys etc but nothing is affected by the settings I make. Also, in power management I see a tab for Vaio Power Management but clicking the tab gives an error saying something about a .dll missing.

Perhaps this points to the Vaio .dll utils not having installed correctly. I'm going to try again this weekend when I get some more time.

If anyone gets a VGN-A series machine fully working under Vista I would be grateful for confirmation and advice.

Thanks

Gazza

profile.country.de_DE.title
gunvaldfar
Visitor

I have the same problem - every installation has finished in the right way, but the hotkeys (and DVD key) does not work. And if you close the laptop display and then reactivate the notebook, the notebook is slower than before - it seems that the vgn-a217s bios is not fully compatible with vista.
This may cause the error of the power management and the malfunction of the hotkeys.

If I find a solution I will post it, but I think we have to wait until Sony makes a bios update 😞

mk71

ktough
Visitor

just installed the update it is older than the computer. the one I was running is better. Straight off Sony's updates.

Matty261990
Visitor

Hey,
This is some of the best information on Club Vaio regarding Vista Upgrades.

crizl
Visitor

hello,

I have a Sony Vaio FS415M and Recently I installed Vista Home Premium and now every time i close my laptop, the screen turns off and doesn't turn on after i open it. I have downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my graphics but still the same. Everything else, like hotkeys and memory stick works 100% so this is the only trouble I can't fix.

Help is welcome :smileygrin:

yildiz2006
Visitor

Hello all..
I installed the Vista on my VGN-FE31B 10 days ago and till now it works almost perfect, i still have some little problems:
1- SOMTIMES when i close the lid and re-open it i get a black screen that wont gp untill i restart
2- The hotkeys (volume especially) sometimes crash, the screen volume logo disappears and windows tells me that i have problems with my "Vaio event service"
3- I still have the problem in my device manager i get "other devices>>>unknown device"

Thnx in advance for all ur help, and excuse my english.

I have Sony vaio FE31M and I have same problem. :cry: I'm still struggling to solve thes problems. Would you help me?

htra148
Visitor

Hi there

I have followed the posts, but have not seen FE41E yet. I have logged on to the Windows Vista Upgrade link but did not find FE4 in the table. I have also done the upgrades for FE41 in the Support section. However, I still experience a problem with playing media online. The site that I am trying to play is www.vtc.vn.com. The media played OK in the first week after the purchase but then stops playing since then. I bought this laptop 2 mths ago. I did send back to Sony to fix but the problem still persists. I thought I have found the solution after seeing this thread. I wonder whether anyone with FE41E having the same problem with me and could help me with.

I wonder if I am not happy with the fact that media does not work properly I could return to Sony. Any advice.

Many thanks

slawekd1978
Visitor

Thank you so much, loathsome !!! It did work for my FE41M !!! Many, many thanks!!!!

Guido :smileygrin:

?????

htra148
Visitor

Thanks.

I could not find the updates for FE41 on the link Windows Vista Update. Could you kindly point out where you got the updates from.

Many thanks

astudler
Visitor

Do you like to install the latest ATI Radeon Vista Drivers?

Check this thread here:

http://club.vaio.sony.ch/clubvaio/CH/de/forum/viewthread?thread=42318