Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FW11M ATI graphics card update

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mzaidi630
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FW11M ATI graphics card update

This is super annoying but I try installing the latest version of the driver for my ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3470 graphics card and I keep getting an error that the update is not compatible.  This is the driver I try to download http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-32.aspx and it fails. I would really grateful if someone could resolve this solution or provide an answer to why it doesn't work. THANKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony, in common with most laptop manufacturers, choose to provide any graphics driver upgrades themselves.  This is presumably to ensure 100% compatibility with their hardware.  Consequently, you cannot install a graphics driver upgrade unless it is supplied by Sony.

Unfortunately, due to the resources needed to test a new driver, manufacturers like Sony do not provide updates very often.  If you are having a problem with the current Sony driver then you should make Vaio Support aware.

However, there are ways round this.  At your opwn risk try Google for 'Mobility Modder'.

:wink:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony, in common with most laptop manufacturers, choose to provide any graphics driver upgrades themselves.  This is presumably to ensure 100% compatibility with their hardware.  Consequently, you cannot install a graphics driver upgrade unless it is supplied by Sony.

Unfortunately, due to the resources needed to test a new driver, manufacturers like Sony do not provide updates very often.  If you are having a problem with the current Sony driver then you should make Vaio Support aware.

However, there are ways round this.  At your opwn risk try Google for 'Mobility Modder'.

:wink:

mzaidi630
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks a lot. I had actually come across that reasoning a few times during my research yet wasn't entirely sure it was true due to the multitude of different answers. However by getting a reply on a Sony forum, I am completely assured. That is a shame and I might have a look at that website but I don't think it is very urgent I update my driver now then.

Super thanks again,

Mustufa.

geositta
Visitor

I also have issues with my screen on my VGN-FW11M laptop.

I upgraded my system from the horrible Vista to Windows 8. Now I have a flashing screen problem (flahing lines on screen parts that are refreshed). I checked at the Control panel and I see the following:

- it does not recognise a Base System device (location: PCI bus 10, device 3, function 2). The drivers for this device is not installed (code 28). Device PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0592&SUBSYS_9035104D&REV_12\4&2115c92e&0&1AF0 was configured. Driver Name: null

- it has an Unknown device (location: on Intel(R) ICH9M LPC Interface Controller-2919)

Harware IDs: ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV5001, ACPI\SNY5001, *SNY5001

Device ACPI\SNY5001\4&3aac68f8&0 was configured, Driver Name:null, Class GUID: {0...0}

The graphics card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)

with Bios Information: BK-ATI VER01.0.087.000.001.029092.

However the Monitor Type is a Generic PnP Monitor and I cannot change the screen refresh rate from 59Hertz.

Can anyone help?