Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio upgraded from XP to Windows 7 - driver problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
brburke
Visitor

Vaio upgraded from XP to Windows 7 - driver problem

I upgraded my Vaio VGN-SZ1XP from XP to Windows 7 some time ago.  I was aware there would be one small hardware issue that wasn't a problem for me but now, I am getting a warning, (sometime after the upgrade), that: "

Sony Programmable I/O Control Device (SPIC) is missing a driver.

We've installed the Windows 7 Home Basic - Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 - and cannot find any drivers listed for this model of Vaio on Windows 7 that I should download or update.

Advice guys?

Should I just dismiss this warning message and carry on with life?  Or is there a driver download I need to get and update it?  If so, where from?

Thanks.

Tags (5)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

OK let's look at these in order: -

a) Under XP your Vaio used IPv4 as the Internet Protocol to enable the transfer of data in small packets to be routed across networks and the internet.  I'm sure you know what an IP address is!  IPv4 uses 32-bit addressing which limits the number of possible IP addresses to around 4,295 million (2^32) and these are likely to be exhausted by the end of 2011.  So with the release of Vista IPv6 was incorporated into all operating systems.  This uses 128-bit addressing and allows for lots more possible addresses (more than I can calculate at 2^128).  IPv6 appears in Device Manager as Teredo Tunneling ...etc.

Either you can simply disable it and just use IPv4 by right clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing disable - or you can right-click on it and choose 'Update Driver' and ask the system to search your computer for a suitable driver.

b) You need to install the Bluetooth Driver from the Vista download page for your model here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-SZ1XP_C&os=7

c)  You need to install the Memory Card Read/Write Driver.  I would try the one under the Original Drivers Tab.

:wink:

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony do not support your model with specific Windows 7 drivers.  However, they did support Vista and most Vista drivers will work OK for Windows 7.

Look in Device Manager and see which, if any, drivers are missing - they will be shown with a Yellow error warning !.  See what driver is not installed as SPIC is a much newer driver.

You can download the Vista drivers from the support pages for your SZ1XP here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-SZ1XP_C&os=7

On a brief inspection, there is no SPIC driver so you may have to find a suitable driver from another Vaio model.  Tell us what Device Manager says and we will try to find a driver - I suspect we will need to find a SonyPI driver from a SZ-Series model released with Vista - I see there is one in the downloads for the SZ4-Series.

:smileyconfused:.

brburke
Visitor

This is so helpful, thank you.

There are warning triangles against:

a) Teredo Tunneling Speduo-Interface under Network Adaptors (I don't know what this is)

b) Bluetooth Peripheral Device

c) Mass Storage Controller

Thank you in anticipation.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

OK let's look at these in order: -

a) Under XP your Vaio used IPv4 as the Internet Protocol to enable the transfer of data in small packets to be routed across networks and the internet.  I'm sure you know what an IP address is!  IPv4 uses 32-bit addressing which limits the number of possible IP addresses to around 4,295 million (2^32) and these are likely to be exhausted by the end of 2011.  So with the release of Vista IPv6 was incorporated into all operating systems.  This uses 128-bit addressing and allows for lots more possible addresses (more than I can calculate at 2^128).  IPv6 appears in Device Manager as Teredo Tunneling ...etc.

Either you can simply disable it and just use IPv4 by right clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing disable - or you can right-click on it and choose 'Update Driver' and ask the system to search your computer for a suitable driver.

b) You need to install the Bluetooth Driver from the Vista download page for your model here: -

c)  You need to install the Memory Card Read/Write Driver.  I would try the one under the Original Drivers Tab.

:wink:

brburke
Visitor

A belated thank you for your detailed reply which I have only just seen as I've been away from the computer.  I'll check out all your instructions and let you know how I get on.  Much appreciated.

media player

lyd enheds driver

systemlyde driver

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi andersenlisbeth66,

In order to try and help we will need to know which Vaio model you have and the operating system that you are currently running.

If the original operating system was XP I doubt that Sony will be providing audio drivers for Windows 7 but there is a possibility that Vista may be supported and these divers may work for Win 7.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat