Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

VaioPMNS
Visitor

VGN-FW51JF/H - Combo Blu-ray drive doesn't burn CD-R media above 4x

Hi,
I’m a newbie VAIO user having bought a VGN-FW51JF/H, which has a Blu-ray combo drive.
Only in the last few days have I decided to try out a simple CD-R burning and was quite shocked to notice the drive can only write at 4x, when the specs claim it goes up to 16x for CD-R!
The built-in drive is a Pioneer BD-ROM BDC-TD01 (firmware 1.01) and I tried three different software burners to no avail,(including Nero )all listing 4x as the top speed. Also tried 3 or 4 brands of CD-R…Sony, Memorex, Verbatim and nothing! Not only is the drive picky on the speed (taking 20 mins), but even pickier with the media…some burn well, others don’t (Memorex failed right at beginning, but Sony media pulled through).
I installed all the available updates from the support page, but apparently there is no firmware update, for the drive, to correct these serious issues. I still haven’t tried the normal DVD burning, but inserted one and at least the speed was displayed as expected, 8X, so I assume it’s only behaving like this for CD-R media.
In a store, also made a small test on another PC, exactly the same model, and once again the reported speed was 4x, so this is not exclusive to the one I bought.
Does anybody else have this issue ?
Is there a firmware for this drive ? I tried everything and couldn’t find anything…
I have one day to decide if I should keep the PC or not, as there are no guarentees Sony will acknowledge this bug and release a firmware to correct it L
Thanks in advance

78 REPLIES 78
yoshitweaky
Visitor

Just had a reply from sony support

Dear Mr. Everson,

Thank you for your email with regards to your Vaio.

To resolve this issue please download the following update.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Updates/EP00002...

Should you have any further questions or queries, please feel free to
reply to this email or contact us on these numbers below:

VAIO in warranty: 0870 240 2408
VAIO out of warranty: 09050 310 006

Our lines are open 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday

Regards,
John
Sony VAIO-Link Team

unfortunatly this is the update I tried before
this was my reply
I already tried that. this update does not apply to my laptop with the PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD01drive.

The update is not for this model of drive. The executable refuses to update, error says that it is incorrect for the drive in question.
This probably means there is another drive for this VGN-FW51JF/H.

can you please confirm this issue remains open

kaepten-koma
Visitor

Hi kaepten-koma, are you sure it was DVD-R and not +R? Because mine doesn’t even recognize DVD-R media, only DVD+R. I didn’t try burning, only reading (it was a TDK) and nada!
I agree and can live with the DVD+R speed not being the best…but support for CD and DVD-R media is basic stuff for today’s standards…and we’re talking about expensive machines…

I am sure. It was a standard Verbatim DVD-R.

Dear Mr. Everson,  Thank you for your email with regards to your Vaio.  To resolve this issue please download the following update.  http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Updates/EP00002...  Should you have any further questions or queries, please feel free to reply to this email or contact us on these numbers below:  VAIO in warranty: 0870 240 2408 VAIO out of warranty: 09050 310 006  Our lines are open 8 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday  Regards, John Sony VAIO-Link Team

I got a similar reply today. It was in German though :slight_smile:

yoshitweaky
Visitor

just to keep you all updates, I had this back from Sony today

Click on Start, type Run in the start search field, then type Regedit.exe and click ok 
Navigate to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet then Control and Class
Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
In the right panel, right-click Upper Filters, and then click Delete.
Click yes when prompted to delete the registry value.
In the right panel, right-click Lower Filters, and then click Delete.
Click yes when prompted to delete the registry value.
Quit Registry Editor. To do this, click Exit on the File menu.
Restart the computer.
Test.
What program are you using to burn the cd's?

I tried the steps outlined above but it didn't fix the issue. I have replied to sony awaiting further instructions

VaioPMNS
Visitor

I got a similar reply today. It was in German though :slight_smile:

Yep, i also received a similar reply...but in Portuguese:P

Is it so hard for them to understand that this PC has two different drives, and that the update on the page is for the MATSHITA drive !? Shouldn't they know this already !?

I also replied that the update on the page was not for our PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD01, they're treating this drive as if it didn't exist... someone of Sony must know of this change in drives!

yoshitweaky, i also tried the registry 'fix' but it didn't fix anything...

Sony, we need a FIRMWARE update for the PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-TD01, just as simple as that!

On monday i'm calling them again!

yoshitweaky
Visitor

The saga continues
this email today:-

Dear Mr Everson

Thank you for your reply

Could you please let us know what kind of CDs are you trying to record?
Please note that is not possible to record audio CDs at more than 4x speed.
What happens if you try data CDs?
Do you have any problem recording data DVDs?

What kind of CDs are you using?

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Any one else know that you can't burn audio above 4x speed?
Also removing those registry keys has stopped itunes from being able to write CDs (at any speed)

I also tried the CD writing software shipped with the laptop Roxio Easy DC creator 10. It doesn't even detect the CD drive.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I tried the steps outlined above but it didn't fix the issue. I have replied to sony awaiting further instructions

Hi yoshitweaky,

as you've recently deleted the upper and lower filters from the registry, you may need to re-install Roxio Easy CD creator..

You should be able to do this via the Vaio recovery centre.

yoshitweaky
Visitor

Thalamus,
your right, i tried that and it can see the cd rom drive again.
Mind you I still can't write above 4x speed but I'll wait for that one.

do you have any more insode info on this issue?

Many thanks
Lee

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thalamus,
your right, i tried that and it can see the cd rom drive again.

:cool: You're welcome Lee.. :slight_smile:

do you have any more insode info on this issue?

No not as yet, if I do I'll let you know. In the meantime the best I can suggest is to keep checking the your Vaio model's update site..

VaioPMNS
Visitor

Happy new year everyone!

Please note that is not possible to record audio CDs at more than 4x speed.

They're kidding...right !?

Any one else know that you can't burn audio above 4x speed?

No, they're wrong...this is not just about audio cd's, it's CD-R media in general, period.
Their claim is an absurdity, it doesn't matter what type of data you try to burn, the recorder should perform as almost every recorder in the market. There are no specifics, if a recorder says it burns CD-R at 16x, if the media allows it, then it HAS to write at the 16x whether it's audio or data. They should know this... a recorder only burning audio at 4x, what is this!?!?

I was contacted two days ago by Sony Vaio Link, asking me if the problem was solved (supposedly by the update that doesn’t apply to our case, at the page)
Once again, I told them the problem persisted and that only a firmware could solve it. They basically said that if there’s a problem, and Sony Belgium are aware, then a firmware update would show up on the page eventually, but they couldn’t say how long would take….
I also asked them to insist on these issues with Sony Belgium. After all these contacts, I hope that at least the matter of the drives/updates became clear, and the PIONEER drive acknowledged...

yoshitweaky
Visitor

Got this from sony a few days ago

Dear Sir/Madam
Thank you for contacting Sony VAIO Link.
Regarding your optical drive issue please run the diagnostics on the drive:
1. Turn on your vaio and repeatedly tap F10.
2. You will see a screen stating Windows Is Loading Files.
3. Then a screen with edit boot options will appear, tap the enter once on this screen.
4. The recovery tools will launch.
5. Once the tools are loaded you should see a Hardware Diagnostics option. select it.
6. Click Start
7. First of all you can do quick test (this name however is misleading as it can sometimes take 2/3 hours in total) which will check each component of the computer (CPU,RAM etc)
8. If there are any errors then write down exactly what they say
It sounds as though given the troubleshooting already done this could be a hardware issue with the computer to confirm this you will need to do a full recovery of the computer:
BACKUP DATA BEFORE DOING THESE STEPS
To do a full recovery please follow the instructions below.
1. When the unit is turned off , press the power button, then tap the F10 key.
2. On the screen you should see the message 'Loading Files'.
3. If you see the message 'Edit boot options.....' , press enter.
4. The next message you should see is 'Recovery tools are being launched'
5. You should now be in the recovery console.
6. The option you should choose is 'Complete Recovery'
7. If you are asked to do a hardware diagnostics test or a system restore you can skip this step.
8. The rest of the recovery startup process is just to confirm that you understand exactly what you are doing and it also asks you are you sure?
9. When the recovery starts you do not need to be with the unit.
10. The recovery may take up to 90 minutes to complete.
11. When completed you will just have to create your account and enter a password.
If this does not resolve the issue we must repair your computer please read the following:
Please note that the repair trun around time is 5 working days depending on the part availability and payments.
The courier will collect the VAIO from your address.
Please follow these instructions in the presence of the DHL courier. This is required by DHL to ensure the secure nature of the transported product.
- Open the box and take out the plastic bag and 2 DHL Air Way Bill (AWB) labels. If the courier arrives without a box then do NOT give your unit to the courier.”
- Hand only your Vaio laptop (without any accessories) to the DHL courier who will place the VAIO in the box provided by DHL. If the VAIO has a power issue, then the ac adapter and battery need to be included also.
- Once the courier has placed your Vaio laptop in the box provided by DHL, the courier has to insert this box in the sealable security bag, making sure to fully seal the bag once the box has been inserted. As the return address labels are printed onto the secured transport bag, these should not be removed or obstructed.
Payment will be involved only if there is no problem found or if the VAIO is physically damaged. In this case should you wish to send back the VAIO unrepaired there is a flat fee aprox 148.14 gbp incl vat.
Please back up your personal data before shipping the Vaio to the repair center as Sony do not take any responsibility for their lose.
All replacement parts became property of Sony.
If you provide us with a mobile phone number, then you will receive an SMS once the unit arrives at the repair centre and on the day it ships from the repair centre.
Should you accept above repair terms and conditions please reply with the following:
- Name and surname to whom should we address the box
- The collection pickup and delivery address
- Windows login name and password
- BIOS password
- Two best contact numbers
- Email address only if you are able to access it from another computer
Important!! Once the repair is setup you will receive a confirmation email with a repair case id and date of the collection. Please note that courier will collect the VAIO in hours 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. There is no availability to collect the VAIO on weekends.
If you encounter anymore issues please respond directly to this email or alternatively you can call the following corresponding numbers.

I ran the 'quick' hardware tests and as they said it too about 5 hours but only scanned the momory and the hard disk. It didn't even touch the CD drive.

I don't much like the idea of reloading my entire laptop as it has only just been built up to my software requirements/email etc.

I also don't like the idea that any hardware they woudl put in if it was to be returned would be property of Sony. This is my property, I paid for it and it doesn't work .

Starting to get a little peeved. I will have to wait for an update as I dont want to restore my entire laptop just to prove that its a formware/driver issue.