Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot update firmware on WF-1000X wireless earphones

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jowilso7943

Cannot update firmware on WF-1000X wireless earphones

I’ve tried to update the software on the WF-1000X wireless earphones using the Sony iOS app. Each time I’ve tried (four times so far) the bar gets to about 50% and then displays the message ‘The software transfer failed’. Has anyone been able to successfully update these earphones? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @jowilso7943

Sony are investigating this, but in the meantime could you try the following to see if they help?

Disconnect other Bluetooth devices (e.g. Apple watch) and try installing the update again.

Close every other app and try installing the update again.

(Make sure the WF-1000X is close enough to your smartphone when installing the update and make sure to keep any other Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connected devices away from the WF-1000X and your smartphone during the installation)

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Finally got mine updated.

Maybe this can help others, so here are the process:

1. Make sure nothing else is connected to bluetooth (moved my watch far away from my phone, so it disconnected).
  2. Unpair/forget headphone in bluetooth menu.
  3. Reset headphones (turn them of outside case, and then hold both buttons for some time, untill reset).
  4. Make sure the Sony Headphones App, is not running (kill it in app-swither)
  5. Turn on headphones.
  6. Pair using the Headphones app (it will ask to pair when initiating the update: accept).
  7. Update headphones

I was very surprised that it somehow worked this time...

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Same problem here...
Goes to 50%, then "The software transfer failed"

Both ear-pieces fully charged.

profile.country.NO.title
tamber
New

It seems that the unit reaches a timeout or something, because after the fail  the left plug is turned off. 

profile.country.BE.title
milahou
New

Same here. Trying to upgrade the firmware of the WF-1000x connected to an iPhone with iOS 11.1.2

Both the phone and the earphones are fully charged.

The procedure is rather slow (as indicated in the help info) but progresses up to 50% and then abruptly stops.

Multiple tries give the exact same result: up to 50% then crash

Ravens89
New

You are lucky you get to 50%, still can’t update via iPhone X. Both fully charged, good internet connection.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @jowilso7943

Sony are investigating this, but in the meantime could you try the following to see if they help?

Disconnect other Bluetooth devices (e.g. Apple watch) and try installing the update again.

Close every other app and try installing the update again.

(Make sure the WF-1000X is close enough to your smartphone when installing the update and make sure to keep any other Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connected devices away from the WF-1000X and your smartphone during the installation)

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

profile.country.NO.title
tamber
New

I have 2 wf-1000x in the list on my phone. Is this normal? I got a tips from Sony Support to reset the units and try again. I had a lot of problems pairing after this, but now the update is running again and is past the 50% point. I also disconnected the other BT devices as suggested here. 

profile.country.GB.title
graaskov84

Finally got mine updated.

Maybe this can help others, so here are the process:

1. Make sure nothing else is connected to bluetooth (moved my watch far away from my phone, so it disconnected).
  2. Unpair/forget headphone in bluetooth menu.
  3. Reset headphones (turn them of outside case, and then hold both buttons for some time, untill reset).
  4. Make sure the Sony Headphones App, is not running (kill it in app-swither)
  5. Turn on headphones.
  6. Pair using the Headphones app (it will ask to pair when initiating the update: accept).
  7. Update headphones

I was very surprised that it somehow worked this time...

profile.country.GB.title
haraldsl
New

Thanks a lot!

I followed your points, and it worked!

Still: Sony should be able to do better than this!

Great sound, *****ty software. I'm consodering returning the set as I have 30 days free return option.

Thankd again!

profile.country.GB.title
haraldsl
New

He, he. Just a footnote since my last note was sensored. If anyone was in doubt ****** meant *-*-*-*-*-*. If this is censored as well, I'm settling for "terrible".

Edited - Tut-tut naughty-naughty :grin:

I edited your spelling of censored too :grin: