Join now - be part of our community!

Charging Bluetooth Wireless Haedphones

SOLVED
bob222

Charging Bluetooth Wireless Haedphones

Hi All.

I have just bought these headphones, model MDR-ZX330BT. The instruction leaflet states charge using USB port on computer. Is ther any reason for not using a USB phone charger giving output of 5.3v 2.0A or the USB port on my Bravia TV. Replies with advice would be good

Thanks. Bob222

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I did receive a response to this from Sony last week.  Appologies for not posting back sooner.

Basically, in a nutshell:

"when using 3rd party adaptors Sony cannot guarantee further proper functionality and safety. "

Sony has only had these headphones certified for charging on a PC/Laptop, hence they would be liable if they say different. 

Cheers

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have Sony Waterproof Walkman (NW-WS414) and I charge it via any means, whether its a laptop, TV or mains charger (USB) - works fine.

I dont see any reason why you cannot do the same, even though the manual doesnt say so.

Cheers

bob222

Hi Thanks for your reply. I thought it odd that Sony did not give more charging options. I will give it a go with my mains usb phone charger, more convenient.Bob222.

Sent from Samsung tablet
profile.country.GB.title
petermonger
Explorer

I bought these headphones while travelling (noise cancelling means flying, etc!) so I don't have access to a computer, especially one for the duration for charging. The manual is very specific, even down to suitable operating systems, and reference to charging not been completed properly. Is this purely an electrical safety issue or is there some form of communication between the headphone and computer systems? I playing safe using a portable mobile charger to keep the battery sufficiently charged for the time being. These headphones are excellent but expensive and I do not want to compromise them or shorten the battery life going against Sony's guidance. Please can someone from Sony provide additional information and advice on charging methods for when a suitable computer is not available.

profile.country.GB.title
petermonger
Explorer

Sorry, I should have stated in my posted reply that my headphones are  MDR-1000X.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have sent a message to Sony seeking further information about this.  Will post back when I get an answer.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

I think Sony doesn't suggest you to charge via a wall adaptor for the simple reason that Sony Europe doesn't sell those anymore...and for a safety purpose they can't suggest to use an other one, in case a customer buy a crappy one from china and it causes an accident 😃

Anonymous
Not applicable

Posting this tweet for completeness of thread and feedback to Sony:

Headphones - Charging.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
petermonger
Explorer

I have received a not very helpful response from Sony customer services.They just repeated the published advice that the only recommended method is to recharge using a PC and that I would be able to buy replacement parts. I responded by asking for more information so at least I can assess the risk to select the least undesirable method of charging when traveling without a PC. So if anyone one from the technical side of Sony actually reads these posts please respond. I would have thought that it would not only be good public relations but commercially expedient. I have been using Sony products for forty years and never come across such a major flaw.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I did receive a response to this from Sony last week.  Appologies for not posting back sooner.

Basically, in a nutshell:

"when using 3rd party adaptors Sony cannot guarantee further proper functionality and safety. "

Sony has only had these headphones certified for charging on a PC/Laptop, hence they would be liable if they say different. 

Cheers