Join now - be part of our community!

WF-1000X right earbud problems

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

WF-1000X right earbud problems

I have a pair of the new wireless in-ear WF-1000X. There is an intermittent problem with sound in the right earbud cutting out. It seems to be random; sometimes it happens for a second or so a few times in quick succession, sometimes only once in the entire day. This isn’t Bluetooth skipping as the connection between my phone and the left earbud is fine - it’s the relaying of the sound from the left earbud to the right that’s the problem.

It can happen in busy urban areas as well as out in open countryside so I don’t think the cause is extrernal interference. 

I have read several reviews, both in the press (What Hi-fi among others) and on the Amazon UK site, that describe the same issue.

I have tried all the things mentioned in the manual. I have reset the earphones to factory settings, I have switched from the AAC codec to SBC, but nothing has worked. 

Is the WF-1000X likely to get a software update in the future that might fix, or at least, reduce the number of audio drop-outs, or can anyone suggest anything I’ve not tried? There is one instance of a reviewer on Amazon who said his first pair had this problem but his replacement pair were perfect, so maybe it’s a defect in only some of them?

I’d be interested in hearing the experiences of any other owners.

56 REPLIES 56
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @jaymbee and welcome to the community,

Have you tried switching the setting of the Sound Quality Mode from “Priority on sound quality” to “Priority on stable connection” within the “Sony|Headphones Connect” app?  This might help.

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

Hi cass

Yes, I tried that as I said in my initial post

Jonathan

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi :slight_smile:

I'd definately go with trying a different pair.

(Were they bought from Sony? If so give support a call about a replacement.

If not I'd go and exchange them at the retailer.)

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

Hi there

I bought them from Amazon so I could return them for a replacement (once they get more in stock!). However, almost every review I’ve read, both press and consumer, (including reviews on Amazon) mentions this problem. I suspect I’ll just end up getting a pair with the same problem,

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again

Exchange or refund is always a tricky choice.

As its a new product I'm wondering whether various batches may be playing up?

Do you have a Sony store near you or any retailer that may have them on display

for you to compare yours with / possibly test?

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

I do have a Sony Centre near me. the problem is that the problem is so intermittent and unpredictable that I could spend a couple of hours in the shop and the problem wouldn’t present itself but then 1 minute after that it could occur!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

You could perhaps discuss it with the staff there,

at least to see if others have reported / resolved the problem with them.

Failing that then phone Sony Support for their views / comments.

Again it just depends on how much you really want them.

profile.country.GB.title
jaymbee
Explorer

I’ve opted for a replacement from Amazon because I really like the WF-1000x in many respects. Yesterday, however, I had a major failure. Walking through a busy shopping centre (outdoors) the right earbud did its usual drop out for a second or so. But then it drop out for a few seconds. When the audio audio came back it was doing this weird, fluttering oscillation. I turned the earphones off and when I turned them back on, there was no sound at all from the right earphone. I had to return to the office and place them back in the charging case to reset them so sound was restored to both earphones. Not a great experience.

profile.country.GB.title
davlorde

Yes, I've started getting this problem - the earphones were fine for a week - I used them daily, several times a day and had only two or three right-earphone drop-outs while listening the whole time. 

But now, 9 days after receiving them, the right earphone cuts out frequently, many times a minute, in exactly the same listening conditions as before (at home, and in the park). I've tried all the suggestions in the manual, including factory reset and setting the sound quality control in favour of good connection, but it makes no difference at all. 

Listening to music with this going on is impossible, and it's too distracting even for talk shows. Very disappointing.

I've contacted Sony for repair or replacement under warranty.