Join now - be part of our community!

ROOTED AND ICS INSTALLED

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
longtreeroad
Visitor

ROOTED AND ICS INSTALLED

[Please be aware that rooting is not allowed on Sony products and will invalidate the warranty]

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Message edited due to rooting.

Tags (5)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

-Cass-

Once a customer has purchased a Sony product they can do what they wish with it as long as it is legal.

Editing out mention of rooting is, in my opionion, unacceptable unless instructions on how to achieve this is mentioned.

The post should have been left ‘as is’ and the proviso added that “rooting will invalidate your warranty”.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
longtreeroad
Visitor

why edit the message? I never gave instructions on how to do it? I know it invalidates the warranty but only if sony know its been done.

Why are so quick to edit messages that you dont like, but never answer simple questions?

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

See how long this lasts.

So how did the 'do it youself' approach go.

It amazes me that someone sat at home can produce updates but Sony don't appear to be able to!!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

-Cass-

Once a customer has purchased a Sony product they can do what they wish with it as long as it is legal.

Editing out mention of rooting is, in my opionion, unacceptable unless instructions on how to achieve this is mentioned.

The post should have been left ‘as is’ and the proviso added that “rooting will invalidate your warranty”.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bason2010
New

lol

hevster
New

Loving the behaviour from Sony on these forums. 

Any questions from customers about future updates to the tablet (controlling PS3 remotely???) or the status of the ICS update are met with stony silence.   But dare to post about using the product in a way Sony don't like and they are quick to act. 

And to correct whoever posted from Sony, to put it is 'not allowable' is rubbish, it simply invalidates the warranty - I'll do what the hell I like with mine since I paid for it, thanks very much. Too many tech companies have this bizarre view of ownership these days, in my opinion.  And frankly given the Sony lack of support/concern over this tablet I'm pretty much of the opinion it wouldn't matter if the warranty was invalidated anyway. 

Anyway, are Sony really surprised people are doing their own thing with these tablets when a forum full of customers who have bought their products are completely ignored?  Given the lack of any information/feedback/signs of life I personally thought Sony had pretty much abandoned this product in the UK.  That said it isn't just the UK.  After a recent trip to Japan and the Sony store in Tokyo I left feeling like it was pretty much a dead product there too. 

Are customer service and retention concepts Sony have ever heard of?

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Agree totally with hevster, we bought the tablet and can do what we want

So gave up waiting and rooted my tablet. Really easy to do and now have ICS. Works great

welshrubberduck
Visitor

ah come on guys, haven't you figured it out yet? its Sony's game and we are not playing along, and because of our outrageous  cheek in asking questions, they have gone into a sulk and taken their ball (aka ICS) with them...... before you know it all rooted tablets will self destruct in 10...9...8...7......... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

profile.country.GB.title
Chayton69
Explorer

would be interesting to have a show of hands from forum users as to

1) How many tablet owners/forum users have carried out this "not allowed" activity because they feel short-changed by Sony on the ICS update schedule?

2) How many would like to but have not as they either feel that are not technology-savvy enlugh to do it without bricking their tablet or because they are worried about Sony's scaremonger approach/view on this activity?

3) How many feel that Sony are completely justified?

4) How many really are not bothered?

Would make for some of the best market research on the tablet that Sony could wish for!

Chayton.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Chayton69 wrote:

would be interesting to have a show of hands from forum users as to

1) How many tablet owners/forum users have carried out this "not allowed" activity because they feel short-changed by Sony on the ICS update schedule?

2) How many would like to but have not as they either feel that are not technology-savvy enlugh to do it without bricking their tablet or because they are worried about Sony's scaremonger approach/view on this activity?

3) How many feel that Sony are completely justified?

4) How many really are not bothered?

Would make for some of the best market research on the tablet that Sony could wish for!

Chayton.

I would like to point out that the editing of the original post in this thread was made by a moderator and was based on a misguided interpretation of forum rules. The moderators although contracted by Sony to keep this ‘self help user forum’ a friendly and trouble free area are not Sony employees.

Personally I fall into the ‘not bothered’ category as I have, for my needs, a fully functional Tablet. As with all upgrades, I would rather not be a guinea pig and am prepared to wait until such time as I’m confident that most teething problems have been resolved.

However, I think that lack of communication on the part of Sony on the timing of this upgrade plus overenthusiastic moderation has stirred up a storm in a teacup.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat