Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

Hi! 

Bought a 32gb Xperia Tablet S last Monday and am happy with it.   I have this issue at the moment and would appreciate any advice.

If I do not use the tablet for a time, it goes into a 'standby mode' and I can touch the power switch to wake it up.  I then slide the unlock icon to make all active again.  :slight_smile:

However, after a period of non-use, my tablet switches off completely and I have to reboot and can see the SONY screen and then XPERIA screen, before it boots and is ready to use.  :thinking:

Occasionally this reboot happens within 5 minutes of being in sleep mode.:smileycry:

In Settings -> Display,  I have set the Power save mode as checked,  and Sleep is after 2 minutes.  Also in Settings, Developers options, stay awake is checked but I know this relates to when the tablet is being charged

Please can you advise me if there is any settings that I need to change or if I have been unlucky and have a faulty tablet and will need to return it to the Sony Store!

I was told that the tablet has an 'Eco Mode'  but that does not make sense because powering off means no mail check etc etc!

Ofiaich

88 REPLIES 88
profile.country.en_GB.title
djruff
Visitor

Complain to Sony,threaten them with a bit of EU consumer law and they'll fix it, Mine was returned with a new ID so I suspect a new motherboard.

As for WiFi swithing on and off this is a product wide issue for Sony, their Xperia phones have the same problem.

Poblem is Sony don't relate persistant problems damaging future sales - lessons to be learnt from RIM and Blackberry.

profile.country.en_GB.title
djruff
Visitor

Complain to Sony,threaten them with a bit of EU consumer law and they'll fix it, Mine was returned with a new ID so I suspect a new motherboard.

As for WiFi swithing on and off this is a product wide issue for Sony, their Xperia phones have the same problem.

Poblem is Sony don't relate persistant problems damaging future sales - lessons to be learnt from RIM and Blackberry.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Zerokewl

My tablet shutdown this time again internet went down with it partialy.

will have faster internet connection by the end off this month hopefully issues are gone.

But i dont think this tablet should shut down when it lose internet connection.

EDIT: just shutdown after i exited video while still having wifi.

Guess its a browser issue.

Guess apps should be allowed to timeout faster so they don't cause tablet to shutdown.

Message was edited by: Zerokewl

Zerokewl

Bump still having issues.

Even opening the standard camera app can cause my tablet to shutdown lol give jellybean so these issues are fixed.

android 4.0.3 sux i would even be more happy with 4.0.4 sony seriously did poor launch off this tablet putting aside the splash proofing issues.

Seems i got record today like 10 shutdowns today most off them happend while android play music app was stuck in a updating loop untill i uninstalled and then ran update again.

I'm running 5G for stability cous their no other wifi's interfearing.

While 2.4g is like pile off networks stacked on each other or overlaping each other on other channels.

Zerokewl

http://www.netquake.net/2012/09/review-of-sony-xperia-tablet-s-good-design-but-some-software-problem...

Look sony at this review

Here let me quote 1 part off this review.

The biggest problem of the Sony Xperia Tablet S tablet are the software bugs that can make pretty bad impression.
Such bugs are random shutdown of the web browser, the fact that the wi-fi connection doesn't get activated sometimes ( and you have to restart the tablet ), the fact that it doesn't recover from sleep mode the first time you press the button and other similar problems.

The good news is that Sony is working on fixing these problems.

Now lets see review date 30 sept now its 2 febuari

thats uhm thats about 4 month's with these issues not being fixed.
I'm mad i'm verry mad sony you rather release jellybean for your other products then first fixing your broken product.

I'm expecting a update verry soon else this tablet will go back to store for refund cous i known sony rma can't fix this neither can the store.

My store policy is if cant be fixed i get a refund.

This will also be the last tablet if bought from sony if don't get update soon.

profile.country.de_DE.title
stna1981
Visitor

Meanwhile, some blogs also got aware of this issue:

http://mobilegeeks.de/schwerer-software-bug-sony-xperia-tablet-s-fahrt-selbststandig-runter/
http://www.flat.de/news/tablets/2442-sony-xperia-tablet-s-leidet-unter-willkuerliche-shutdowns.html

I also contacted Sony about this, but no clear info from their side. That's pathetic. It's a severe bug which makes the tablet in parts unusuable. For me, it happens not only when playing videos, but also when listening to web radio, using camera, browser or mail.

Has anyone some update on this or Jelly Bean. If this issue is not fixed soon, Sony will have seen the last money from me...

Zerokewl

Looks like sony is having rough times ahead off them.

This kindy reviews news off tablet being broken and crashing like this i doubt anyone will buy this tablet untill its fixed.

I hope it get fixed verry soon if not i just make my own review soon make mention off this bug if it ain't fixed.

I did't pay 400E for piece of garbage that keeps shutting down.

i even bought a sony docking stand last month for 100E

So honestly hope it gets fixed for real so i can do a good review off this tablet.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

fee.666 wrote:

Hi tuantung7c7,

My powering off problem has been resolved but NOT by Sony. Please see Thufirtwo post on Ist November.

I have called Sony many times and they do not even call back when they say they will.

Hi fee.666,

can you give me an update please on wether someone from Sony has been in contact & if so what action was proposed..

This has been going on for ages..:smileyshocked:

I am going to try & see if I can get any info on what developments Sony Japan have made, if I get a reply I'll update this thread..

In the meantime there was a post offering a workaround which mau help..:smileyhappy:

ThufirTwo wrote:

In the meantime I 've found a workaround with an app called "advanced wifi lock" - there is a free version also. It stops the wifi from disconnecting in standby and so far I had no reboots.

Hope this helps...

Regards - ThufirTwo

Zerokewl

That work arround don't really work at all

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

I received an email from Sony Edinburgh office and have called 3 times but couldn't talk with the Sony representative. He called me whilst I was driving...

I called again this morning! No luck. so now waiting for him to call me again..

edit Had a good 50 minute talk with the Edinburgh office... and will await further advice...

Should hear what to do today.. await Jelly Bean or return Tablet..

fee.666

Message was edited by: fee.666