Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

@Risc0n - Thanks

You are right, the GoogleCast was a Google fix, not Sony's.  Simply because it was a world wide issue.  Other issues are regional, due to the fact that each region is responsible for its own firmware in accordance to their market.

Updates:

As you may have figured out, Sony does not work quickly unless its a criticle and easy fix.  Also, unless they can replicate the problems in thier own labs, its far harder to find a solution if they cannot replicate.  Which brings me to the next 2 issues.  Sony has requested more information from you guys - the community in regards to 2 issues - lip sync and blank screen, which ill type up tonight (hopefully) - as im not exactly sure on what questions need to be asked yet.

In regards to other issues - its all pending investigation. 

Great, I know I and others have shown videos detailing the issues with 3D and IR blaster so hopefully these will be easy to reproduce. I am able and wiling to supply any additional evidence.

Also you can add me as confirmed black screen issue. This happens happens mainly when waking up from sleep, therefore it has to be a HDMI handshake issue. I am running a pure sony setup with Sony 1050 amp / 55X850C using bravia sync. Only way to fix is to force reboot the TV with the amp still on.

Brotherton2830
Explorer

I am also having the black screen with audio. Also the tv freezes when switching back from an hdmi source. Worse if the tv button is not used.

tv is kdx498305C with the latest firmware and app updates. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Risc0n for the additional information, and yes, I am sure that your vids will help in the issues you are experiencing.

To all: If you are or have experienced the Blank screen with sound issue, can you please respond in the following thread, as Sony are seeking more information

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-blank-screen-issue/m-p/2043703

john.pringle

I am also suffering from blank screen with audio the update has not fixed it Since the weekend I've had to power cycle about six times hope Sony can fix this because apart from this I am happy with my x8509. Also my other remote has stopped working after the update can anyone help. Thanks John

Sent from my iPad
Sdroid

Sony should do something about the discoloration on the edges on the 65x850xc.
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Anonymous I'm quite happy to try and reproduce issues I have reported including the black screen issue. Pending the questions here is an update of some of my reports.

1. GoogleCast resolved by Googles update
  2. Intermittent screen format message not seen since the first full factory reset following the update
  3. Black screen with sound was seen only once after a lot of remote activity and channel switching, the response of the system got slow and then I experienced the black screen on Freeview channels so I think not related to HDMI handshaking. 

NEW: not serious unless seen by others or repeats. After viewing video media from USB and having the built in video player lock up (possibly corrupt file) I switched back to Freeview by Home button then selecting TV, standard definition TV channels were pale, flat looking with strange heavy halos around objects, switched to a HD channel which was OK, the back to SD and it was distorted again. Sorry no pictures at this time. A power cycle by holding the standby button put all to rights. 

My TV a KDL-43W805C used with SKY+HD box and Apple TV. WiFi connected to Superfast fibre broadband. Located in Central England, UK. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
Fenbops
Explorer

Hey all,

I have had the Sony Bravia KDL 43W809C for about a month now and can honestly say it's the worst TV I have had in years. I mainly use my TV for gaming, but this TV is plagued by flickering/shimmering and ghosting that I didn't get on my last TV (LG). It seems like the screen is too slow for what's actually happening on it. It also likes to turn itself on now and again for no reason. 

Blurays look great and I don't mind the sound out of it, it's pretty good. 

Very disappointed in this TV, thought it would be a step up from my last one, and having heard good things about Bravias I was expecting so much more. 

frankie1g

I just was called.by sony in Belgium to talk.about the issues I posted on the forum anyone else been phoned 

Sent from my Samsung device
frankie1g

Was phoned by.sony in Belgium today regarding my post on this forum has anyone else been phoned?

Indy121

So, I've randomly stumbled across this thread when looking for reviews of the kd49X8305cbu. 

I was was due to go and buy this to over the weekend but am seriously reconsidering after reading some of these posts. 

What at is everyone's recommendation? Stay away? Or are things getting better and it's worth it? 

In all honesty I will probably be watching sky on the tv and maybe a little ps4. Not using the apps etc.