Join now - be part of our community!

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

Hi all

Please feel free to put in any requests for future updates and features you would like to see added. Of course we can't promise that we can deliver on all of them as there may be technical/commercial/resource limitations, as to why they aren't possible, but everything will be considered.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Re-enable sticky tag

281 REPLIES 281
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello All,

I see this forum have loud customer's voices in RED same as they are ready to shoot the gun against Sony products:smileywink:, most of them (including me) really suffering from playing movies files which are incompatible with Sony devices+ unable playing movies subtitle too.

All of that problems due to the improper files decoding by Sony firmwares. (i guess so)

Almost Daily, i see at least one customer or two posts complaint about that issues on Sony UK forums.

This is in addition to other websites too. Some others start talk in the streets and showrooms. or they keep silent better :cool:

I am worry one day this problem becomes a Sony Sales restriction point, because the other competitors already countermeasured that problem faster than Sony by modifying their firmwares.

Sony excellent picture quality or its performance are not enough to attract customers. Nowadays products features are more effective to take the money out of the pockets such like DLNA compatibilty, USB playback and others.

I hope Sony Engineers do the best to countermeasure this problem with a quicker steps before Sony lost the market share.

Just for your information, today i just finished download a 37GB movie file (m2ts format) to find it is not working with my KDL-46CX50  !! neither by DLNA connection nor by USB stick....this is why i have bad mood :laughing:

Message was edited by: KDL-CX520

Message was edited by: KDL-CX520

ds1234
Visitor

i don't believe Sony actually intend to resolve the issues with regards to the usb playback, and certainly not for past models:

it's curious that supposedly far inferior non-branded tvs manage to play any type of divx/xvid/etc but the Sony struggles constantly.

I posted details above (twice; with no specific response) with regards to non-zero BitsPerSample errors in the mp3 codec that the sony struggles with.

(the quick and relatively easy workaround is to use Virtualdub to re-save the avi using 'direct stream' audio and video (no re-encode is necessary) as it resets the wBitsPerSample value to zero).

ds1234
Visitor

i don't believe Sony actually intend to resolve the issues with regards to the usb playback, and certainly not for past models:

it's curious that supposedly far inferior non-branded tvs manage to play any type of divx/xvid/etc but the Sony struggles constantly.

I posted details above (twice; with no specific response) with regards to non-zero BitsPerSample errors in the mp3 codec that the sony struggles with.

(the quick and relatively easy workaround is to use Virtualdub to re-save the avi using 'direct stream' audio and video (no re-encode is necessary) as it resets the wBitsPerSample value to zero).

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello ds1234,

Thank you for the information about  non-zero BitsPerSample , this newly interested information for me, What about fixing m2ts or mkv files ? can it be done using Virtualdub Without re-encoding too?

Sorry to ask, i know it is out of the main topic, but just for my information

Actually I see that Sony care their customer's demands, an evidence for that is this Topic which created by Catmambo, that mean they care our point of view.

We have to thanks Catmembo for giving us this chance to share our demands here, and i am sure our voices reachs the concerned departments in Sony Headoffice through reports.

The problem is located with Sony Co. itself, which have slow response to fix that problem(s),  even the problems with RED voices which are common between all customers

1- Either they re-schedual the field fix to some months later (depends on how many customers complaints and priority)..

2- Or postpone the problems countermeasure until the new model introduction

3- Another possible cause for delay that the concerned Sony department don't know how to fix it (resolve that problem) due to lack of technical information.

Let us wait and see if any new news will released soon.

Have nice days

ds1234
Visitor

hi

unfortunately the issue with the xvid/divx/avi files appears to be one of Sony's system being extremely picky regarding the encoding standards, whereas the other files would need codec support altogether

i know Catmambo is trying to provide customer service ... but there don't actually appear to be many results from this service to be honest.  I'm not saying they aren't trying but i suspect the priority is technical support and upgrading of new models and future models rather than older tv ... what Sony appear to forget is that most of us will upgrade tvs in the future and less likely to upgrade to another Sony set given the numerous smaller issues with their tvs.

just my two pence though.

(you can easily correct me if i'm proven to be wrong with any fixes for any of the issues on this thread for any tv models older than a year old by the end of 2011 ... i really wouldn't hold my breath)

profile.country.el_GR.title
argiannel
Visitor

Hello,

I have a KDL-EX720 32" and I would like it to support .mkv fles in the next firmware update version.

Thanks

Argiris

profile.country.fr_FR.title
moimael
Visitor

I own a KDL-32CX520, it's a fantastic product, except the non support of mkv ! (but that was already asked)

Else an ipv6 support would be great, my local network is entirely ipv6 except the tv ....

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

I have a workaround for playing mkv files on my KDL-37EX720.

Just tried it again with "The green Hornet" 3D 1080p half SBS now for almost 30 min with OK performance- very little jitter.

I use windows media player to activate the movie on my Win7 PC and using DLNA through a wireless connection to stream to my TV.

The mkv to "Sony player acceptable format" conversion is done on the PC real time, which requires some PC power though.

At first I had problems with my wireless connection which made the stream jitter and cause sudden disconnects. Keep your room cleaned for metal boxes and don't move around with anything- ha-ha.:smileylaugh:

The major disadvantages with this concept is that the remote pause/play/stop/fast forward buttons doesn't work. You have to use the PC for these functions.

I guess it will work with all formats supported by windows media player.

Another topic:

I would like a time shift function added to the USB HDD service, i.e pause and continue on the active selected TV channel. I also supports the adding time before and after recording selected through EPG, since the all manual solution is tedious.:smileysad:

ericpode
Visitor

Request: "Picture off" shortcut needs adding to Options for the CX52 series.

In another thread I asked why there was no "Picture Off" setting available from the Options menu on my CX523 television. Apparently on some Sony TVs you can access it via

Options > Power Saving > Picture Off

but this still has not yet been added to the firmware for the CX52 series.

Can this please be added to the CX52 series firmware.

The reasons are described below:

I often have my CX523 TV switched on while working in an adjacent  room, so that I can just hear the sound while I'm working. To save  electricity I like to have the backlight off when I'm out of the room.  The presence sensor eventually switches the backlight off, but the whole thing also goes into standby about 30 minutes later - so that's no good really.

What  I really want is for the TV to stay on indefinately, and be able to  manually switch the backlight off and on whenever I choose - the  "Picture Off" option seems to do just that.

But to switch the backlight off I have to:

1. Press the HOME key
  2. Press the RIGHT arrow key 4 times
  3. Navigate to "System Settings" and press the OK key
  4. Navigate to the "Eco" menu
  5. Press OK on the "Power Saving" option
  6. Arrow down to the "Picture Off" setting
  7. Press the OK key

Going  through all of this just to switch the screen off is a pain!

WallyZebon
Visitor

I have a 2011 CX520

I would like to see better functionality in the Music media player.  Currently, you have to stop listening to the track that is playing before you can browse other folders.  In Windows Media player (Windows 7), you can play a track and then browse for other tracks whilst still listening to music. You are also able to create a playlist whilst the music is playing.  The Sony media player is quite poor in this respect.

I would also like to add my voice to the MKV codec debate.

Many thanks