Join now - be part of our community!

Android 5.1.1: Broken encryption of exFAT SD cards

SOLVED
avolkov
Visitor

Android 5.1.1: Broken encryption of exFAT SD cards

Hello,

After upgrading of my phone to the 5.1.1 I've tried to (re)encrypt my phone and card, but without any success: card become unreadable and all data on it  disappeared. Card's reformatting doesn't helpful since card became unencrypted and any following reencryption lead to the same result: unreadable card. If someone have solution for this regression (except downgrade) please tell me.

Thank you
Andrey

Upd: As I've answered below, internal phone's memory has been encrypted successfully, problem only with SD. Also before wrote this post I've tried to do next things:
  - factory reset couple times
  - reinstall firmware by Companion
  - install AOSP
And probably Cyanogen has not problems with encryption, but I need for the worked camera.

14 REPLIES 14
Rickard
Master

I'm sorry to hear that.

What SD card do you have (brand/size)?

You mentioned this only happens when card is formatted with exFAT. Does this mean that you've tested the same card formatted with FAT32 and then it works?

Were you able to encrypt the card (while formatted with exFAT) on AOSP?

avolkov
Visitor

Hi Rickard,

Yes I've checked with other card, and may confirm that:
 - "standard" (up to 32 Gb)  SDxx card is encrypted without issues. I've checked it with SanDisk  4GB SDHC card

- SanDisk Ultra 64 GB SDXC is encrypted, but Sony's driver in the 5.1.1 could not read it after. This card work fine with previous

Android 5.0. So, I'm afraid you may congratulate the QA.

I installed AOSP just to be sure that file system is really clean, since I've a problems with audio firmware update in time of previous upgrade.

Btw I've created error ticket #1-22299737556, but received usual "check the power cord/RTFM" reply

Rickard
Master

Would it be possible for you to test this card using a PC, a card reader and a test software like h2testw with write+verify test to make sure the 64GB card you have is still fully working?

Rickard
Master

We have now tested this with a Sandisk Ultra 64GB SDXC formatted with exFAT but we can't replicate this on the latest firmware so please test your card with the software i mentioned. Damaged blocks on the SD card could cause something like this.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@avolkov

Were you able to solve your issue?