Join now - be part of our community!

kdl-40v3000 bravia dark lines/shadows.

profile.country.en_GB.title
nishmalek
Visitor

kdl-40v3000 bravia dark lines/shadows.

i have exactly the same problem as the other people who have written about this tv model on the forum and there seems to be manty many more out thereon forums reporting the same problem that sony will not acknowledge.

there are dark lines running down my screen and a dark shadow line about an inch think on the right hand side of my screen, this was more noticable when watching football. my tv is not under warrranty anymore but is only 2 and a 1/2 years old. it seems that sony have created their screens to only last this long as lots of people have the same complaint.

i have just rang sony and i have been told that "there is no known problems with this model" that is rubbish as clearly there are a few of us just on this forum with the same pronblem. So we are paying about £1000 for a tv that will only last 2.5 years. i am disgusted with the lack of help and support from the sony call centre staff who basically said i need to get it fixed myself and i need to book it in with a service engineer. I suspect this is a problem with the panel or with the screen where a replace ment would cost you more than getting a new set. it would cost me £45 just for someone to come out and tell me that without even having it repaired. as a dedicated sony buyer over the years i cannot believe that my most expensive buy has only lasted 2.5 years.

WHY IS SONY NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM??

258 REPLIES 258
clivezx
Visitor

Hi all,

I have the same issue with my 3 year old Bravia KDL-40v3000, a dark shadow has appeared in the centre of the screen, about a foot long and 4 inches wide, which is very annoying to say the least.  I went to speak to the manager of Currys where I bought it from, and was basically told there was nothing they could do, and I had to send it off myself to be inspected, risking  getting damaged in transit. He said LCD screens only had a life of about 100 000hrs, which equates to 11 years if on all day, which it is'nt. ( I don't think he had quite worked it out) I have written to sony and after reading these posts, I don't hold out much hope for a solution. If I dont get a satisfactory reply, I am registering my complaint with Watchdog and I hope most of you do the same, as there is clearly a problem even though sony won't admit it. I can't afford to replace my TV every three years.

terrac
Visitor

I have mailed the guys that StartTheCar suggested I contact on 29th June.    Received NOTHING so far in return.  No response at all, not even an acknowlegement of the email.

I have also contacted BBC's Watchdog and registered a complaint on there.  Not sure if it will acheive anything but if enough of us do it then they may take a look for us.

Register you complaint here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

Contacted my retailer under Sale of goods act..  Their reply indicates a "take us to court then" attitude.    Why cant everyone be like costco?!!?!?

anyone have any good news??

Bud666
Visitor

I have had a case open (110626-000000) since the 26th of June but responses have dried up so now going to register the complaint with Watchdog also. Come on Sony - sort it out!

BadlyDrawn
Visitor

I'm yet another victim who has purchased a TV with an inherently defective panel as evidenced on here and other threads.

It would be incredibly useful if a Sony representative could answer some of the legitimate questions that people have posted on here rather than reiterate an 'escalation procedure' which has proved more frustrating than the inherent defect itself.

As a starter, I'd like to know;

The reason that x and w series sets which had faulty panels are identified as known issues but the v series are not. What was the known defect with these TV's and why is it not probable that the identical faults in the v series are caused by the same defect?

Given Sony's insistence that these identical faults may be as a result of different defects, can they (or any posters on here) advise whether any affected sets have been caused by anything other than a faulty panel?

Why won't Sony offer the assurance that if the fault is as a result of a defective panel they will refund the cost of the engineers inspection, regardless of the resolution? (e.g. part funded repair/replacement/no further action etc.).

And most significantly, how do we escalate this issue, which is being so frequently reported on here into a 'known issue' to Sony as it is most certainly a known issue to those who are affected.

Until someone is courteous enough to respond to these questions, Sony will convey the impression that they are attempting to dissuade customers from reporting their defect by insisting on a process, which requires loyal customers to part with even more of their hard earned money without any likelihood of a satisfactory resolution.

terrac
Visitor

here here...

I too wish that Sony would have the decency to answer these questions.

profile.country.en_IE.title
ciarancasey
Visitor

Just an update on my situation:

- had the same problems as everyone else - out of warranty, etc., etc.

- brought TV to an approved repairer in April - €75 - needs new panel - cost €578

- as there was no panels available, Sony offered to replace TV with a ex403(?) for the cost of repair - I refused

- emailed StartTheCar and he got back to me after a few weeks and directed me to CIC

- Contacted them a few times by email without response

- Evemtually they got back to me and offered to pay a percentage of the repair / replacement cost

- this turned out to be 50%

- As they couldn't replace the panel, they offered a ex524 instead for the same price - €578. They paid half so the cost to me was €289 (minus the €75 I paid already)

It took a long time but I was happy enough and I like the new TV. I would expect to get all my money back if Sony announce this is as a known issue but for now it is nice to have a working TV again.

Best of luck to anyone else with the same problems

Pinball
Visitor

The day Sony acknowledge the manufacturing defect with the KDL-V4000 is the day i eat my hat.

As it wasted stated earlier in this thread , the V series was the cheaper of the 3 series thus it is highly likely that more was sold of the V series and would be far more costly for Sony to admit a manufacturing defect with this model.

hughied
Visitor

I have finally got a resolution to my dispute regarding my faulty Bravia KDL-40V300 but only after several phone calls to Sony's call centre abroad (which wasn't a great experience) and Sony's CIC (Customer Information Centre) which is UK based. They handle disputes with UK customers I believe.

Firstly, as a replacement LCD panel is out of stock at the moment, I was given the option of receiving an new Bravia KDL-40CX523 LCD Television but, only If pay half of the estimated repair cost which was supplied by their local approved repair centre.

I refused this initial offer as the TV offered is a entry level model and my model was considered mid range at the time of purchase so I was then given other 3 options:

• Decline this offer and wait until a replacement LCD panel is back in stock so that my KDL-40V3000 can be repaired

• Decline this offer, send my TV set back to Sony's local repair centre so that a fault report can be prepared and sent to Sony's Guarantee and Warrantee department for a decision.

• Accept a new Bravia KDL-40EX523 LED Television but I would still have to pay half the estimated repair cost - minus the £60 charge for the quote which I paid for up front.

I accepted the 3rd offer because the EX523 is a side lit LED television where as the CX523 originally offered has a LCD panel plus the KDL-40EX523 is a much better set than my KDL-V3000 and even though I feel my TV set should have been replaced free of charge, I have accepted this offer as a comprised because I will be receiving a new higher spec LED Television.

Good luck to all you Sony customers experiencing problems with your TVs but be patient and be prepared to jump through a few hoops (phone calls, letters, emails etc....) in order to get a result you are happy with!

Message was edited by: hughied

Message was edited by: hughied

davarob
New

hughied ,i too have accepted a ex523 tv to replace my v3000,i  also pay half the repair costs ,nothing has been mentioned about deducting the £40  i paid for repair quote,ive been dealing with sony cic in the uk,but it takes so long for anything to happen,it was three weeks ago i  agreed to take this tv,still not received anything,think i will have to phone them again to find out whats happening

damolee
Visitor

Can add me to the list. KDL 40V3000

TV purchased 23rd Feb 2008, got the vertical shadow appeared down the left side of the panel.

Dealing with Sony's service centre has been nothing short of horrendous. The TV is out of warranty, but surely a TV that cost nearly a grand should last more than 3 years? Disgraceful.

Not only have they lost my personal details to hackers on the PSN this year, this crops up and they are handling it terribly.

I'm done with Sony and i'll smite their name asmuch as possible. I prevent 10 or 20 people from buying a Sony set, then i'm good. If they do the same, then even better. Being a very persuasive person has it's perks, unfortunately trying to communicate with the call centre when they hardly speak English, that doesn't help.

I will picket the local damn Sony centre on a Saturday if I have to, the more money I cost them the better.

Final word. Your TVs are rubbish, aswell as your PSN service, and your rubbish Xperia Play phones. Oh , I see a pattern emerging here.

Message was edited by: damolee

Message was edited by: damolee

Message was edited by: blaireau_photo

Edited by Moderator