Join now - be part of our community!

kdl-40v3000 bravia dark lines/shadows.

profile.country.en_GB.title
nishmalek
Visitor

kdl-40v3000 bravia dark lines/shadows.

i have exactly the same problem as the other people who have written about this tv model on the forum and there seems to be manty many more out thereon forums reporting the same problem that sony will not acknowledge.

there are dark lines running down my screen and a dark shadow line about an inch think on the right hand side of my screen, this was more noticable when watching football. my tv is not under warrranty anymore but is only 2 and a 1/2 years old. it seems that sony have created their screens to only last this long as lots of people have the same complaint.

i have just rang sony and i have been told that "there is no known problems with this model" that is rubbish as clearly there are a few of us just on this forum with the same pronblem. So we are paying about £1000 for a tv that will only last 2.5 years. i am disgusted with the lack of help and support from the sony call centre staff who basically said i need to get it fixed myself and i need to book it in with a service engineer. I suspect this is a problem with the panel or with the screen where a replace ment would cost you more than getting a new set. it would cost me £45 just for someone to come out and tell me that without even having it repaired. as a dedicated sony buyer over the years i cannot believe that my most expensive buy has only lasted 2.5 years.

WHY IS SONY NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM??

258 REPLIES 258
davarob
New

im going to phone consumer direct tomorrow,sony were supposed to phone me back 8 days ago,not heard a thing from them,i have pm'd 'start the car' twice since i first wrote to sony  about my faulty kdl40 v3000 which is nearly 3 years old and needs its 3rd lcd panel,he hasnt even  bothered to reply to me,not impressed at all with sony

kingnezzer
Visitor

Im still awaiting a reply to a letter that i sent 2 weeks ago, i think that Sony are really stalling now and hoping the problem will just go away. 

Johnno2824
Visitor

Hi Just to let you know that they (Sony Europe) have accepted there is a problem with some similar TVs see this link https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/thread/124314?tstart=0 and I have had mine (KDL-46X3000) repaired free of charge under this scheme - I think you just have to keep reminding Sony there is a problem and eventually there will be some action. Ian J.

davarob
New

ive sent another letter to sony saying that im refusing their offer of half the repair costs,i phoned them on friday and was told to send letter,i also contacted consumer direct who passed my details on to trading standards,i dont even know if this panel is still available,the guy from sony customer information centre was going to find out and let me know ,not heard anything from him,what great customer service.

kipwad61
Visitor

Have just recently experieced the dark patches on my 3 year old V3000. I had hoped it was something to do with the digital swithover, but alas after finding this thead it,s obvious to all who understand basic logic and commonsense that the problem is the panel.  Whats really sad is that Sony,s attitude of not accepting their responsibilities will long be remembered whatever the final outcome.  Bad day for Sony and many of their longtime and loyal customers. 

mr_scott
Visitor

Hello,

I have the same model kdl-40v3000 , and started getting these mentioned dark shadows , after trying to ignore them for months , the shadow are simply getting wider and longer !

its now becoming very annoying and extremely noticeable , the dark shadows started appearing after the tv was not long out of its warranty, ( its now 2 1/2 yrs old )

and today was looking around for any answers on the internet and by chance found this site with people with similar problems with their Tv's.

has anyone been able to resolve the problem shadows on their Tv yet ?

what part / parts is required to fix it. ?

i will even attempt to fix the tv myself with parts its needing , can only improve the picture as i cant make it much worse !

or is it a case of throwing away a 2yr + Tv,  another 1000 quid wasted !

i should have learned after my last Sony Tv , an expensive Sony projection tv which cost me  £ 2200 ! ...that waste a peice of junk too ... and gave it away after couple of yrs !

its knocked my confidence in Sony as ive always thought of their products to be mid quality.

but now seems after reading alot of replies , im starting to change my views !

is anyone wanting to buy my other expensive Sony products ... my Sony Alpha DLSR , Sony Cinema Amp , Sony Blu Ray player , kids tvs in bedrooms , 2 Psp's, playstation 3's  , etc etc .... list goes on ..

but for now can this Tv be fixed or do i throw away another Sony £ 1000 quid tv ? after 2 yrs !

any help or info much appreciated .

Mr Scott.

hughied
Visitor

Hi there,

I have noticed a dark line/shadow down the right hand side of the screen on my KDL-40v300 LCD TV today.

I purchased mine from ebuyer on 14th April 2008 so I've had mine just over 3 years now and have been very happy with mine up till now but I'm very concerned with the reports I've been reading here and else where.

I would expect a Sony TV to give effortless performance especially as I've previously owned a CRT Sony TV for over 20 years. I purchased a Sony surround sound system at the same time when I purchased my LCD TV so I hope that I get a positive response from Sony when I report this fault tomorrow.

I will keep you infromed

wookie1975
Visitor

I have the same problem with my KDL40V3000.  Had it for just over three years and when turned on the left half of the screen is shadowed and green vertical lines.  Orignally lasted a minute or so but now keeps coming and going for 5 minute spells.  Frustrated like all other postees that a Sony tv only last three years and that will cost over £400 to  fix. Will raise with Sony and see how it goes.  Sounds like a manufacture problem Sony!

hughied
Visitor

[My update on reporting my shadow/lines problem to Sony]

I called Sony to report the fault with my TV and explained that I've got a shadow on the right had side of the screen and that during live HD broadcasts I'm getting faint vertical lines which are less noticeable during normal broadcast viewing. I also explained that didn't think I should pay for a repair on a TV that’s just 3 years old. The call centre operative said that he would escalate my complaint and gave me a case number.

He then called me back 5 minutes later and said that he had spoken to his supervisor and because my TV is a flat panel LCD V series model which has a known fault which has been published in the media, it will be repaired free of charge and that someone from my local approved Sony Repair Centre will contact me to arrange collection of my TV for repair. I thought, "That's a Result" and called my local Sony repair centre directly but they said that they have received my case number from Sony but were still waiting for confirmation from Sony confirming that the repair would be free, so I called Sony back and this time spoke to a different call centre operative and she said that she was going to check again with her superiors and that if I hadn't heard anything after 48 hours I should call them back again to see what's happening.

I called my local Sony service centre 2 days later to see if they'd received confirmation of my free repair and they said they still only had my case number on record saying that the set has a fault but no mention of a free repair, So I called Sony again only this time I was told that I will have to get a quote from my local Sony repair centre and once they've received it, they will then see if Sony will offer me a good well gesture repair which is different to what I was originally told.

I then had to call my local Sony repair centre yet again and was told that I can either pay £25 to bring my TV directly to the service centre for checking (which means un-mounting my TV from it's stand and disconnecting the various devices) or pay £60 for a engineer call out to check it at my home and supply me with a quote for repair. I'm not very happy that I will be out of pocket while Sony decide if they will repair my set when it's only 3 years old.

I hope that my notes will help other owners who are experiencing similar problems with there TV's. I suggest that we all need to challenge Sony as there seems to be many owners (reports of problems on various other forums) that seem to be having similar problems after just 2 or 3 years of ownership.

I will keep you informed of my progress and if other owners can post if they get their sets sorted out in a fair and prompt manner it will be very much appreciate.

Many thanks

davarob
New

just recieved a phonecall from sony cic,what the guy said was that there is not any known fault with this model of tv,i mentioned this forum and the amount of people that have this fault,his reply was that even though we all have the same symptoms ,ie: shadow lines,it might not be the same thing causing these shadow lines,he also told me the panel was not available at the moment but i had to contact my repair centre to see if they could get replacement panel,when i phoned repair centre they couldnt understand why they could be able to get replacement panel as the only place they can get panels is from sony!