Join now - be part of our community!

75XG9505 - motion problems

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

75XG9505 - motion problems

After tests and professional calibration at 75XG9505:
- the movement settings are incredibly poorly made, with major deviations and malfunctions (example: smoothness .... If you set the option to maximum you do not get soap opera effect but rather a distortion or a halo around people - clearness does nothing but to darken the image);
- In application Netflix, in some films (not all), the movement is horible  with a fine stutter, which appears in certain sequences ... the Internet speed is excellent, without interruptions;
- movement provided by an external UHD bluray, with the same stutter problems;
- In the Kodi application, which runs video footage from an external hdd, the viewing is almost perfect, smooth - no problems. Strange, is not it?;
- the stutter effect also appears in the normal TV application but with a reduced frequency - It becomes even more strange;
- Blooming is not present aggressively and does not constitute a problem for watching video in most cases;
- colors and details, after calibration, very pleasant and natural, brightness, black level and contrast, good;
- a strange thing ... The calibrator wanted to set the color details separately in the submenu "Adv. Color temperature" but they were registered and active on all signal types or applications !!! So bye-bye, until possible corrections in software updates, separate HDR / SDR calibration;
- the uniformity of the screen is good, without vertical banding and with minimal DSE - the experience of use is not disturbed at all;
- although it does not have vertical banding, a similar, fine effect can be observed in the fast panning movements at football matches - a phenomenon recorded exclusively in images containing the whole field;
- the tennis ball leaves a noticeable trace even if the smoothness setting is at maximum;
- there are no problems with eArc, the sound being accurately reproduced through the receiver;
- good, but not excellent viewing angle - if the light is reflected in the panel, the X-wide filter layers can be observed regardless of the viewing angle;
- In a bright room, you can observe very well the degree of reflection in dark scenes;
- the delay in changing the TV channels is similar to Panasonic so I don't think it is a problem at all;
- the sound from internal speakers is sufficiently loud and clear. 
Resetting or restore at factory level will never bring any improvement - the result is still the same. The internet is not a problem regarding the fact that the issue is present also on an external bluray - also the speed an strenght are excellent. The problem or problems are possibly caused by the new x1 ultimate chip or the poorly made software.
So the experience with this TV is not a pleasant one, given the extremely high degree of software or hardware errors and my recommendation, until the problems are solved (which I hope will solve the strange ones that do not honor Sony in any way, with a good reputation about movement), is not to buy.

Tags (1)
38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

As you say sony is the best in motion  handling so there is something you are missing on setting it.

Kodi footage are probably 25 or 50 hz while it seems you are having stuttering on 24p movies, am I right?

For movies you should set motion to true cinema (or completely off) and film mode to high.

Unless you do not like the cinema effect and you want to smooth out the normal 24p effect.

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

There is no setting solution for this problem. We (me and the professional calibrator) tried all motion settings with all combinations (there are few options here so it was not a difficult task). The problem is still there.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Ok so all the other calibrator such as theo HDTV are wrong.   
profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

”For movies you should set motion to true cinema (or completely off) and film mode to high.

Unless you do not like the cinema effect and you want to smooth out the normal 24p effect.”
Maybe you are talking about another model. On 75xg9505 there is ”motion flow” with options: custom, auto, off.....and ”Film mode” with options: auto, off. All combinations are failing to solve the problem. Do you own this model? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I own an a1 that is slightly different. You should set motion to off and film to auto in any case.
profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

Done. Still got the problem. The motion is not at all smooth.

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041348-2019-sony-xbr-x950g-owners-thread...

It seems that i am not the only one with this problem. The engineers done something wrong with X1 Ultimate....software or hardware. Now, i am waiting for an update to see if the problem is solved or masked.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

well, motion sucks on any sample and hold technology displays. So..... on everything that's available today.

And as you, I also hate this and that put's me off of any really expensive TVs because it's always there, visible. Even if you are not looking for it.

But as someone who just switched from motionflow on W75C to x-motion clarity on XG95, have to say that XG does a better job after some fiddling with settings which are different than those for motionflow. The whole thing is actually different. To me it's even better than on AG9. Perfect? No chance. Noticeable? Hell yes. But there's nothing better out there.

I had Samsung 55Q90R side by side as the alternative because I really like the normal stand and I thought that 8x more dimming zones will make a huge difference........ But it does not, blooming on XG95 is no worse than it is on samsung and not noticeable unless with some HDR content in pitch black cave but motion on SONY is better, so much that I went and modified my current stand to fit those ridiculously wide feet until I make one I want to fit everything that I want.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Do not know what to say. I have an x1 extreme. It seems to me too few complains for such a problem.