Join now - be part of our community!

75XG9505 - motion problems

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

75XG9505 - motion problems

After tests and professional calibration at 75XG9505:
- the movement settings are incredibly poorly made, with major deviations and malfunctions (example: smoothness .... If you set the option to maximum you do not get soap opera effect but rather a distortion or a halo around people - clearness does nothing but to darken the image);
- In application Netflix, in some films (not all), the movement is horible  with a fine stutter, which appears in certain sequences ... the Internet speed is excellent, without interruptions;
- movement provided by an external UHD bluray, with the same stutter problems;
- In the Kodi application, which runs video footage from an external hdd, the viewing is almost perfect, smooth - no problems. Strange, is not it?;
- the stutter effect also appears in the normal TV application but with a reduced frequency - It becomes even more strange;
- Blooming is not present aggressively and does not constitute a problem for watching video in most cases;
- colors and details, after calibration, very pleasant and natural, brightness, black level and contrast, good;
- a strange thing ... The calibrator wanted to set the color details separately in the submenu "Adv. Color temperature" but they were registered and active on all signal types or applications !!! So bye-bye, until possible corrections in software updates, separate HDR / SDR calibration;
- the uniformity of the screen is good, without vertical banding and with minimal DSE - the experience of use is not disturbed at all;
- although it does not have vertical banding, a similar, fine effect can be observed in the fast panning movements at football matches - a phenomenon recorded exclusively in images containing the whole field;
- the tennis ball leaves a noticeable trace even if the smoothness setting is at maximum;
- there are no problems with eArc, the sound being accurately reproduced through the receiver;
- good, but not excellent viewing angle - if the light is reflected in the panel, the X-wide filter layers can be observed regardless of the viewing angle;
- In a bright room, you can observe very well the degree of reflection in dark scenes;
- the delay in changing the TV channels is similar to Panasonic so I don't think it is a problem at all;
- the sound from internal speakers is sufficiently loud and clear. 
Resetting or restore at factory level will never bring any improvement - the result is still the same. The internet is not a problem regarding the fact that the issue is present also on an external bluray - also the speed an strenght are excellent. The problem or problems are possibly caused by the new x1 ultimate chip or the poorly made software.
So the experience with this TV is not a pleasant one, given the extremely high degree of software or hardware errors and my recommendation, until the problems are solved (which I hope will solve the strange ones that do not honor Sony in any way, with a good reputation about movement), is not to buy.

Tags (1)
38 REPLIES 38
profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Picture mode: DV Bright
Brightness: Brightness-max, Contrast-max, Gamma-0, BL-50, BA-off, ACE-off, ALD-medium, XDR-high
Colour-expert1 calibrated by professional calibrator with live colour-off
Clarity: Sharpness-50, RC-manual with resolution-20, RNR-off, DNR-off, SG-low
Motion: Motionflow: custom, Smoothness: 2, Clearness: 1, Film mode: auto.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

like I said, this really is the worst possible example. That haloing/blue glow is actually there, captured on camera, you can see how it's more present on rear two pillars since they are more in shade.

The motion itself....... I just took out of the box old w75c with motionflow XR 800Hz and tried all possible combinations on both sets. In some setting combinations which are totally unusable outside those 5s rotation movement w75C maybe look better. But on both sets frame skipping is present if you crank up the settings.

For settings that I normally used on w75c and that was motionflow set as true cinema and film mode on high vs settings on XG95 which are motionflow custom 1,1 and film mode auto, XG95 produce better result. 

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

@kinggo01 Thank you for your time and interest in solving my problem. I already contact Sony in my country and i will wait for the update. After the update i will test the tv again and share the result with this community. 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

that whole scene is what, 10s long. That's 240 camera frames. And TV needs 5x that for 10s. When 80% of digital information is artificial then you really can't expect perfect result. And the more you are cranking up smoothness the more artificial frames you are introducing. So artifacts around all those fast moving edges are best guess of image processor trying to recreate something that wasn't there in the first place. Or you have just simply doubled frames but then after some number of them you get that skipping because you were looking one frame for too long.

That why black frames are better because then you don't notice them. Just like you don't notice that half of the lines on interlaced material is missing.

Try making a GIF from some slow scene, maybe just people talking. Keep the original duration but try with multiple frame numbers. From double to 5x as much. And then for fun, add some black ones.

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

Below you can find another complaint, identical to mine, which expresses exactly the same point of view. This model from Sony, a big disappointment.

Rhodes800 from avsforum.com: ”Interesting thing about this tv is that when i tested it in the store with youtube DSE hockey test video, (which serves as the motion test as well) i was very happy with the result. The moving hockey player stayed clear all the time and the movement seemed ok for that minute. So i decided to buy it. And first couple of hours at home it seemed ok as well. But after 5 or 6 hours of watching sports and playing open world games, i was starting to notice it's frame skipping and hiccups. The more i was paying attention to frames, the more obvious it was that the tv's processor simply doesn't know when to interpolate properly. No matter the setting i chose. My dissapointment with this tv's motion is really big. Mostly because i was expecting too much, i was fooled by all the professional reviewers and other people who are blindly praising this tv for it's motion. And also because this tv is aside from bad motion, really good tv, if not great. Clean panel, no dse, good contrast, deep blacks, no black crush and not too bad of a blooming. It's a shame really. Sony going from motion flow 960 to some crappy x motion clarity without any number that would specify it's refresh rate multiplie, is really a weird decision. And also the fact that x950g is the tv with the least amount of motion settings available among all other models and brands. Panasonic, LG and Samsung all have separate deblur and dejudder sliders from 1 to 10, BFI setting and extra movie mode. (like cinemotion in older sony tvs)
What does the new x950g have? Only 2 pathetic custom sliders going only up to 3 and new degraded cinemotion, available only in off and auto mode. I mean how stupid is this move from Sony? It's like they don't even give a **** no more. Their tvs used to be the top notch at motion. I have plenty of friends who still own 900d and e series and they all say it's motion is flawless. It all went to **** with subpar x900f and now with x950g, which is a good tv overall, but with dissapointing motion handling and it's degraded settings.”

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

Well, after this update of Android 9, nothing has changed about improving the motion - the issues are still there, visible. When it comes to updating in general, other than the sound, I don't see anything immediately that makes a difference - the system is moving just as well. I will continue to write complaints to Sony about my problem - the conclusion is simple: Sony fails to provide a clean, good (not perfect) motion experience. Recommendations such as "try to reset the set at the factory level" are pathetic attempts to solve such problems. I'm curious and I'll make time to go to a store to see with my own eyes the same test materials on other Sony TVs - I'll include oled. For the rest of the colleagues who have the same TV and do not see this problems the explanation is simple: either they have not done professional tests and calibrations or simply their visual ability is less accurate. But to say, based on these general experiences and reviews made by paid calibrators that Sony has the best movement performance, envied by the rest of the manufacturers is simply marketing, and also a lie - it's not real.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

....or we just don't care about bad motion when SOE is cranked up since SOE is awful by itself and no motion can fix that.

I've seen Gemini Man in 60FPS which is still lower than your desired settings and the whole movie looks like some very long commercial.

Don't get me wrong, motion on XG95 is bad, just like on any other TV out there. But it is the best of the bad ones I tested before buying. One other issue is that people who are making content do not consider limitations of the technology it will be reproduce on not even a little. I get it why they don't care when it comes to movies but filming that scene in stranger things is plain stupid. Just like those demo materials avoid all the possible shortcomings.

profile.country.RO.title
diaconusm
Explorer

@kinggo01 ...it is clear that you have a huge problem with SOE........well, i dont - so we both agree that we are different as consumers.  ”Motion is bad just like on any other tv out there”.....to make such a statement.....hmmmm. First of all.....those tv sets that you said you have tested were professionally calibrated or you just speed tested them with some video materials in a local store in your country?
I have seen different tv sets (led and oled), from different producers, post calibrated, running same test materials and the conclusion is simple: X1 Ultimate needs badly an urgent firmware update. At least that is what i hope to be the solution for my problem and also i hope that the certified ISF calibrator is going to be wrong - he said that the problem might be on X1 Ultimate itself, as an hardware limitation.

I also agree with your point of view about the filmmakers or the video content. The Stranger Things problem is just an example ... I see a similar effect on a large selection of videos, so it's very disturbing.
To be very clear: I do not agree with the people who blindly claim a producer. Our common interest, as buyers, is to receive a compliant product that delivers acceptable results. Or, we are not just looking at beautiful, static materials and in no case just UHD material. This model also has motion problems in live HD broadcasts, with gross artifacts around football players - horrible experience compared to the old Panasonic DX700e TV. In no case do I expect to receive the perfect TV but I did not expect to have such a disappointing experience. Simply, this TV model does not deserve the money given on it but much, much less. It is my opinion, I support it, and it is the end of the comments posted here - it is obvious that you have neither how nor can you help me.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

calibration won't really help you with motion anyway.

By seeing, yes most of them were in stores. But since we can agree that SONY, Philips, Panasonic are still slightly better in picture processing than duo from Korea...... Among them were also some TCL, Hisense and new SHARP with android TV but did not consider them anyway.

I did have at home for a week Samsung Q90R, Panasonic GZ950 and XG95, all 55". And still think that XG95 is best when it comes to motion. But TBH, not that it would really make a reason to get it. It was more of a combo of that, plus flexibility of Android platform (and frustrations that go along with it) and that I was able to get if for quite a lot less than SRP which was not possible for GZ950. For that one I would need some 400€ more plus Shiled or something because it's smart platform really is anything but.

Philips high end LCDs are not available here so have no idea how would they look like.