Join now - be part of our community!

Amazon Video - Juddering Issues

faheemrazzaq
Explorer

Amazon Video - Juddering Issues

I have upgraded my 55xd9305 yesterday and it proved to be a bad move. Since then a lot of judder specially on 4K stuff from Amazon and YouTube. It settles if left alone for couple of minutes. Clicking a buttong on remote such as volume or action will again introduce judder. I also noticed that while watching some 4K HDR on Amazon last night, the sound was out of sync with video as well. I hope a fix comes soon.

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@faheemrazzaq wrote:

I have upgraded my 55xd9305 yesterday and it proved to be a bad move. Since then a lot of judder specially on 4K stuff from Amazon and YouTube. It settles if left alone for couple of minutes. Clicking a buttong on remote such as volume or action will again introduce judder. I also noticed that while watching some 4K HDR on Amazon last night, the sound was out of sync with video as well. I hope a fix comes soon.

This is not the same kind of judder that this thread is talking about. You should make a seperate thread. I can confirm I have seen this issue, particulary in Amazon prime.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Both

I have separated these two posts from the Sky juddering thread as this is a different issue.  I too can also confirm juddering in the following instances:

• At the start of playback of video content - lasts a minute or two
  • At volume change - up or down
  • When bringing up playback controls and information

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
MarkF42
Explorer

Yes I can confrim the same issue. For Amazon Prime only (no issues with Sky Q) At start judders for a 0-15 seconds, and when volume changing judders for 0-5 seconds for every press of the button. But after 5 seconds all seems OK and is settles down.  Weird.

profile.country.GB.title
allencresswell

Hi MarkF42.

I have had the same thing since I bought the TV and initiated my Amazon Prime subscription again. The sad thing is that if I watch Amazon  through my BD Home Cinema on the TV I get no issues at all! It's only if I try to watch directly from the TV app that the stuttering playback happens. I don't even think it is just a 4k issues as it seems to happen no matter what I try to watch on Amazon. Can't comment on Netflix cos I cancelled that to resubscribe to Amazon Prime but when I did have netflix it played without issue!

Makes you wonder how it can be sorted when both the TV and the BD Home cinema are LAN hardwired to the same router.

Having said that, it is now the least of the TV issues! Since the recent Android software upgrade the TV poweres down and restarts on a regular basis.

I understand from previous replies on the forum that SONY cannot be held responsible for third party software issues on their SMART TV's but I think that's a cop out by a Company that should know better!

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I used to notice the same with my 49XD8099 (from late 2016, so "ATV2" with MT5891). Then after the March firmware update for these tvs I thought the issue disappeared. But last night I watched a movie again in Amazon and changing volume it was a mess.

So I checked with "top" from the Termux app what was the CPU usage and indeed, being idle, the CPU was always 20-40% busy doing I don't know what. Other times I could see system processes from Sony (like DLNA or dtt, when I don't even use the digital terrestrial television) eating the CPU. This morning I checked the CPU usage again and it was quite idle (95% or so). So I tested an Amazon video and although the volume bar took ages to show, I didn't get any real major stuttering.

Any other video service (Netflix, Italian TIMvision, YouTube, Plex, etc) I use doesn't cause any of this issue any more. But they did before the last firmware update.

I don't know. It seems to me it's a mixed issue of the Amazon video app being far from optimised and some processes in Android TV getting stuck and thus eating most precious resources.

profile.country.GB.title
allencresswell

An intersting reply that goes some way to shed a little light on what appears to be a regular user issue.

I still maintain that Sony should address this issue directly and sort it out with a software update to rectify this and other matters rather than (as it seems to me) to be investigated and tested by owners.  All I really wanted is a reliable and trustworthy modern TV! With the issues that I have had with this one since I bought it all that it means is that for my next TV it will NOT be a SONY. The frightening thing is that the Amazon service works perfectly on my SONY BD Home Cinema system. If it works on that, then why does it struggle on the TV??

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@allencresswell wrote:

The frightening thing is that the Amazon service works perfectly on my SONY BD Home Cinema system. If it works on that, then why does it struggle on the TV??

I can give you the sarcastic (and sadly true) answer to this: because your BD Home Cinema doesn't run a memory hog OS which is plagued by the fragmentation, in this case with a Linux kernel and the source code of some OS parts made for a cheap SoC with very weak CPU cores, produced and maintained by a company (Mediatek) that isn't actually famous for the quality of their SW.

Also, to keep being honest, I am not a fan of the Amazon video app. It's slow even in the PS4. But at least it doesn't stutter. And with the PS4 controller it's less neurotic to use.

As I keep saying they should all learn from Plex and/or Netflix about how to make a great video streaming app. YouTube/Google included. I am not a fan of the YouTube video player either. But at least that one is fast.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I can give you the sarcastic (and sadly true) answer to this: because your BD Home Cinema doesn't run a memory hog OS which is plagued by the fragmentation, in this case with a Linux kernel and the source code of some OS parts made for a cheap SoC with very weak CPU cores, produced and maintained by a company (Mediatek) that isn't actually famous for the quality of their SW.

Very true! Nothing premium about Sony TV with respect to application processor and software.

As I keep saying they should all learn from Plex and/or Netflix about how to make a great video streaming app. YouTube/Google included. I am not a fan of the YouTube video player either. But at least that one is fast.

The Netflix experience indeed is great. And you find it on the app store which means that it respects the open app believe that we got so much used to on mobile platforms. Amazon is only on select devices/platforms, so those that pay the fee...

The only good thing about Amazon for end users is that it is quite cheap which is pretty much what it is worth though.