Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I know this is going to sound like a newbie question here... But have you tested this with all devices disconnected from the TV (assuming you have connected devices that is).  Ruling out possibilities until only 1 possible answer remains.

You might be right. A few days ago I connected a HDD (USB powered WD My Passport) which has been registered for recordings to do some tests. That's pretty much when the standby problems started. One time the panel even wouldn't turn on anymore, only the indicator LED at the very bottom went white, nothing else happened. I had to power cycle the TV...

But your not the only one complain of restarts/rebooted @Risc0n is too.

Do they also happen in standby? When the TV is running I hardly have any reboots anymore.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can test then tonight with the USB HDD disconnected, then its another USB issue I guess.

@Risc0n- Does your random restarts happen when the TV is switched ON, or is it OFF (i.e overnight) - also do you have any USB drives/devices connected?  If so, can you remove them and see what happens?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I will keep an eye on it. A similar thread is on the German forums, see here. Common denominator is again the recording HDD.

If the TV is in developer mode and you connect via adb shell, it is also possible to check the uptime.

shell@SVP-DTV15:/ $ uptime
up time: 16:13:18, idle time: 11:14:58, sleep time: 08:42:39

According to that, the TV reboot at 2 in the night.

It is also good to check sleep time. You will recognize that the TV stays awake for way too long.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I still had those standby reboots every night. I assume that it happens when SoC/Android wake up (which happens several times over the night) to do some "maintenance work". It happens at very specific times (around midnight).

So I disconnected the recording HDD yesterday, but it still happened this night (no other USB device connected).

As already mentioned, I always switch off the TV from within Kodi. So probably Kodi triggers something at wakeup that makes somebody unhappy, probably some A/V driver. So next test is to quit Kodi in the evening and switch off the TV from the HOME screen.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Try setting Update GUIDE in Stby to OFF

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update this thread from my experience.

TV = KD-55XD8577

I have finally seen this TV reboot itself with my own eyes.  I was watching from a HDMI source and boom, reboot.  Interestingly audio was still being outputted via HDMI to STR-DH820 AV Receiver whilst it was rebooting (but device was connected to AV Receiver) - HDMI-CEC did not kick in an turn device off whilst TV was rebooting.

However - as I am not the one that turns the TV on in the morning - family member that does states that this happens quite a bit on first switch on in the morning.  Gets a TV signal for a few seconds and then reboots itself.  But family member claims that this has been going on before the marshmallow update......  Why dont they tell me these things !!

No USB Devices are connected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Linking to a post by 'Alex' on the YouView forums: HERE

YouView - Random Reboot under Marshmallow.jpg

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Anonymous

I don't know if you have seen my post about CPU behaviour.

Watching through Android Studio - Device monitor someone can see a strange CPU behaviour.

I posted images after a reboot. One minute after reboot I know this normal but more than 5 minutes(I think it was 8-10), this is not normal.

Sometimes there is high CPU usage from an app e.g. Kodi that takes ages to become low when exiting this app. Specifically Kodi once happened to "release" CPU usage, which was more than 60%, after 15 minutes. Rest System CPU usage was about 30%.

Next Kodi executions had no CPU usage at all and app was not visible as consuming CPU power. I don't believe this was an Android Studio issue since logging was OK by that moment.

Seems that CPU handling some times is not working properly.

This could cause many issues like Reboot or Home Screen stuck or other apps malfunctioning.

Memory usage by  that time was normal and less than 50% for my KD55X8508C's 1.5GB RAM.

Maybe Nougat will solve this issue but as I have seen in a post there are issues too.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

In case of my nightly reboots, I can now exclude the influence of 3rd party apps. So neither USB nor apps are responsible.

MiCal1967 schrieb:

Try setting Update GUIDE in Stby to OFF

Can you elaborate?

My current settings are Update guide in standby=on and Auto Service Update=off. Für DVB-C, this results in the Guido not being updated anymore for some reason. I will try to disable guide auto update as well..

Maybe Nougat will solve this issue but as I have seen in a post there are issues too.

Update Android is not enough. Sony/MediaTek have to get their deployed Linux kernel and drivers under control. That's the crucial part.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Yes

I noticed that my external USB 3.0 HDD never went to power off state as long as Settings - Channel setup - Digital setup - Guide set-up - Update Guide in standby was set to ON.

This means that TV never goes to "deep standby"

Auto Service Update in Technical Set-up is set to On.

I can't know about other set, but my KD55X8508C and external HDD are OK until now. At least on this issue because I have most issues that you also report on your bug report tracker.

And yes. The right thing is to fix DRIVERS and CPU usage-apps handling.