Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working anymore after Android update

SOLVED
profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Netflix not working anymore after Android update

After Android was been updated to 6.1004, the app Netflix is not loading contents anymore.

The Netflix version 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 is stopping at 25% when loading everything.

If I remove the updated and return to the origina 3.13 version, it works without problems.

I've already:

1) unplugged the tv

2) resetted the tv to the factory settings

3) deleted every temporary data from the app

4) ask to Netflix support service to help me

5) I can use Netflix app on my smartphone together with Chromecast connexted to the tv, succesfully.

Please, give me a solution or I need (everytime) to remove the update to run Netflix app.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

OH YEAH!

Now, with a 200mbps internet connection (in downstream) and a new modem, the last version of the app (4.0.4) is working fine.

I'm lucky because the upgrade from 100 to 200 is free... and the modem change too.

But... still remaining the question: what is changed between 3.3.2 and 4.0.4 ???

Paolo

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Interesting issue that you have - I cannot recall if others reported this exact issue, but there was an issue a couple of weeks back with people getting these two error messages:

- Could not lauch Netflix, please try to restart (-111)

- Netflix encountered an issue, retrying in ....  code: ui-800-3 (100017)

Im assuming this is not the case?

As you have already tried many things - can you try setting the DNS server as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on the TV.  You will need to give the TV a fixed (or static) IP address as well.  Although I cannot find specific instructions - this thread HERE may help you.

Cheers

I had this problem before update and still got it after the update. Error -100.

if I use hotspot from my iPhone though it works.. my 2nd tv that's not sony and distance from router is bigger works.

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Just to complete the data.

The tv is a KD49XD8305.

Youtube application is working very fine, like TimVision (another streaming application like Netflix).

The new OS (android 6.1004) was been downloaded directly on the TV by the autoupdate system of the TV, I mean I haven't downloaded it by myself and put it on a USB key.

No, the errors shown by the app are different than you are describing. The main error is "cannot contact Netflix" or similar but the previous version (3.31 and not 3.13) works fine without any error.

I'm just losing the new content evaluation system by Netflix.

The TV have already a reserved DHCP address. The tv is wired to the internet router and after the first dhcp address assignation, I've reserved that IP to the tv mac address: so it's static.

I'll try to setup manually the dns addresses.

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

The Google DNS address (8.8.4.4) is already passed by the DHCP :slight_smile: I didn't remember.

In the meanwhile, the Sony support service have suggested to me to test another internet connection, using, for example, a smartphone hotspot.

At the first I felt bad because I didn't understand why check another connection when all others internet applications working fine. At the second, just to play, I've made this test and... the last version (4.0.4), WORKS!

So, I really don't understand why the app is not working with the same connection that works perfectly with everything and with the previous version of Netflix app.

What Sony is doing on the app to make it not working in the same environment.

Is there anyone else can explain this behavior?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Try another IP from your router, i.e. delete the reserved DHCP IP.

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Done.

Changed reservation and used another free IP of the range without reservation: always the same result.

If there was a fight, 3.31 vs 4.04 result should be 10 to 0 :slight_smile:

Everytime the only way to see Netflix is uninstalling the update and use the old app (v.3.3.1.).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

So Netflix version 4.04 fails to work on your home network router and ISP.  But Version 3.31 works fine.

If connecting a mobilephone and using it as a hotspot, then 4.04 works OK.

This indicates to me that its either a router issue or ISP issue.  Two questions:

• What Model Router do you have?
  • Which ISP are you with?

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

But... if it's a router issue, why everything are still working fine?
Only one app start having problem when updated.
Every Netflix app on any other devices I have (iPhone, iPad, Xbox, Chromecast), don't stuck with the same router.
Why do you think the root cause is the router?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ok - at current there is an issue with the older BT Homehub 3 routers - replacing the router to HH4 or HH5 fixed the solution.  Although I dont think ive seen this on Android TV - but thought best not rule it out.  See :

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/bravia-kdl-42w705-netflix-only-works-if-tv-is-factory-rese...

In regards to ISP, sometimes turning OFF Parental controls (and something else which I have forgotten) if your ISP is also BT will work.  Hence the question about what your ISP is. 

A few months ago, I spoke to someone within Sony who said that many of these types of problems are eventually traced back to a routing issue between your ISP and Netflix and possibility of a router issue too.

At this stage, I have seen very little complaints about Netflix - considering that Sony has rolled-out the Marshmallow firmware to everyone now - if the problem was more serious, I would expect this forum to be flooded with complaints.

Also handy is to monitor your ISPs Support forums, incase others complain of the same issue. 

Reason why it works on iPhones and other devices is because its probably a different version of the app and also a potential to route traffic through different places.

Just just trying to think outside the box and gather more information thats all.

Cheers