Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working anymore after Android update

SOLVED
profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Netflix not working anymore after Android update

After Android was been updated to 6.1004, the app Netflix is not loading contents anymore.

The Netflix version 4.0.2 and 4.0.4 is stopping at 25% when loading everything.

If I remove the updated and return to the origina 3.13 version, it works without problems.

I've already:

1) unplugged the tv

2) resetted the tv to the factory settings

3) deleted every temporary data from the app

4) ask to Netflix support service to help me

5) I can use Netflix app on my smartphone together with Chromecast connexted to the tv, succesfully.

Please, give me a solution or I need (everytime) to remove the update to run Netflix app.

Thanks.

46 REPLIES 46
DaBiscuit
Explorer

You're lucky, since the update I cannot watch or use ANY app that requires internet.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Paolo06Sony Good, I'm glad in a way or another it made it working. As why the app doesn't always stream.. no clue at all. Or maybe, now that I think about it... maybe it's an issue with your account? You could try messing a bit with the account settings in the Netflix web page. Maybe something is stuck in settings in the server and changing few options back and forth it may fix it (I mean, it's just an idea).

BTW did you need to disable/uninstall the Netflix app in the tv to cast the stream from the phone?

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Just to know.
Now, with the Nougat os, the "basic" version of the app is 3.3.2 build 1530 and it works.
The 4.0.4 is still not working.

I'm sure now it isn't a ISP issue but an app issue.

How can I stop the automatic update of the app?

Paolo
profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Just to know.
Now, with the Nougat os, the "basic" version of the app is 3.3.2 build 1530 and it works.
The 4.0.4 is still not working.

I'm sure now it isn't a ISP issue but an app issue.

How can I stop the automatic update of the app?

Paolo
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I don't believe you can stop the automatic update of a single app, but you can stop the automatic updates for all apps. Just go in Google Play/Options in your television, it's there somewhere. After that you'll have to check once in a while in the store and update the apps you like manually. I am not sure if that makes it stop working in your phone(s) using the same Google ID as well, though. But in case a solution is to make a new Google account and use that in your television.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Alternative App Store which might help you install specific app versions: 

https://m.aptoide.com/installer-aptoide-tv

To be honest I do not fully trust it as a source. 

When in doubt resort to: https://www.virustotal.com or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virustotal

Also, remember you may need to manually uninstall an app before installing a different version due to signature conflicts.

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Every test with Netflix support team is already done (delete, change and so on...).

Yes, the cast from the smartphone to the tv works only when the TV app is downgraded to the version provided by the OS (3.3.2).

I can use the same source (smartphone, always with the last app) with Chromecast connected to the tv succesfully.

Should be useful to know what are the changes between 3.3.2 and 4.0.4 to identify what is the reason of the block.

Paolo

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I thought the issue was solved days ago. At least I checked few Netflix reviews in Google Play and some people talked about it "working again". I thought it was an issue similar to your.

Otherwise, if you're fine playing it via Google Cast using the mobile phone, did you try disabling the Netflix app completely? In that way you won;t have to worry about any update. Then, when a new app version is out, you can enable it again, download the update and test if it works.

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Hello,
maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Using GOOGLECAST I can view Netflix but, Googlecast is bypassing the tv app.

When I try to cast from smartphone, to the TV (because it's a cast capable
tv), it opens the local tv app and stop again.

In the last days, cause the automatic update, I've already tried the 4.0.4
unsuccesfuly 😞
It's always the same version, no update on the Sony App Market :slight_smile:

Paolo
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. :yahoo:

So let's use the correct terms: Google Cast is the protocol. The one used by Android TV and Chromecast. The latter is the small device we connect to the tv via HDMI.

So, if I understood correctly, you're saying that using Chromecast it works (as it should, since you are operating with a different device via HDMI), while casting directly to the tv via Google Cast it opens the Netflix client? Because when I did some testing in the past, that is what happened indeed to me when casting straight to the television (thus via Google Cast. No extra devices). Only that at the time, the Netflix client after launching was getting stuck at the login instead of automatically signing in.

What I didn't test that time, and I can't test it at all now because without subscription the app doesn't allow to do anything but to renew the subscriptiom, is to disable the app (so that Android TV should threat it as if it was uninstalled) and then to try casting via Google Cast, chosing the television. If it works as it should, since the app isn't available the Netflix Google Cast player should get loaded (the same you get in Chromecast) and the streming should start, as if the tv was a Chromecast device.

I use the conditional because it seems that app doesn't like much to be either bypassed or ignored. For example if I stream TIM Vision to the television via Google Cast, the tv loads and opens a different player, the same we get in Chromecast. Which is then controllable only by the phone.