Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
jkennedy78
Explorer

A sad day. I read up about sony not having iPlayer on ANY of their 2021 models. Which, as a life long sony fan was a let down. Especially as the 2020's are said to not have it as well (can someone confirm, bbc site says they do not). 

So, sad day, it was when I was upgrading the TVs in my house I opted for LG oleds and not sony. Shame on you sony for this let down. I wonder how many of your loyal customers will flock to LG as a result of your ineptness? 

Using cast from phone to TV is not an all one in solution TVs should be these days. Might as well be saying; plug an amazon fire stick in the back and go from there, at least you don't have to switch remotes. But have the inconvenience of using two operating systems when one should be enough.

profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

I have the 2019 model 43" TV Sony Bravia KD43XG8196 and the holy trinity of the BBC player,  ALL4,  ITV player, have been working fine until last week!  They were on the home page under " Sony Selected Apps" but now all icons are dead, meaning the TV locks -up trying to launch any of the three ( I have to back out to get the TV to respond again).

But I read somewhere on here that YouView+ has links to the same Apps and they work fine.

Just in case your TV has Youview+......... Go to the YouView Guide and press the " BLUE " button" for " PLAYERS "  and you can access BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5 and Pop Fun.

I have been through all this " your router is using an IP outside the UK crap" and " reset this and that " but there is nothing wrong just the SONY interface is the problem along with loads of other problems.

TT1818
New

Hello all,

I am looking to purchase this model and have an update from Sony customer relations 29/11/2021 ......

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

I am writing from our Consumer Relations Office, our highest service level for Customer complaints and disputes, regarding the Email you kindly sent us a few days ago. First of all, we would like to thank you for contacting us to share your concerns regarding this product.

We understand that you request information regarding the current catch-up app situation in our 2021 models. Unfortunately, we must confirm that the following apps are not currently available in our 2021 models:

BBC iPlayer (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer)

ITV Player (https://www.itv.com/)

All4 (https://www.channel4.com/)

My5 (https://www.my5.tv/)

YouView (https://www.youview.com/)

Nevertheless, we must highlight that this is just a temporary situation. The specific model you are asking for and all the rest of our 2021 models are technically capable of running these features as soon as they are released.

We can also confirm that these apps will become available before the end of the year. Unfortunately, it is not possible to inform a specific date for this, but please note that it will happen during this last month of the year.

In the meantime, you can cast the content of these apps to the Television from your mobile phone or any other external device as an alternative, using the Chromecast function or the specific external device you will be using.

We hope this information assists with your query and clarifies your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this message with your doubts.

Best regards,

SONY CONSUMER RELATIONS
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

profile.country.GB.title
jcameron22

Thank you for posting this TT…

Firstly, these are strong words and I will be opening a new query with Sony myself. This seems to be a assurance from Sony that these apps will be functional on their platform by the last day of this year. If this is true then why haven’t they made an announcement? Why haven’t I been personally contacted? My attempts to get an answer from them were met with the line ‘these apps are expected by the end of the year’. They refused to confirm whether this was due to licensing or software so their statement that their devices are technically capable seems a progression from their previous position. I would still urge caution however. Is this an actual statement from Sony or could it be a customer service agent speaking out of line. We cannot be sure. Anyone reading this, please, like me, open your your own enquiry and quote this message. See it Sony will confirm what has been said in this message. 

profile.country.GB.title
Classiccarman
Explorer

They are not downloadable on the Sony Bravia Android TV range. I tried the other day on Google Play but it won't allow installation. It isn't a big problem for me as they are built in apps on our Virgin TV cable box but if you you rely on Freeview or FreeSat it is a big deal. Maybe if Sony are pressured enough from us they might relent and allow installation of the said apps.

profile.country.GB.title
fatboyz62

I have come to the conclusion that Sony dont care. They should have sorted this by now. I wonder if the 2022 range will have the apps ?

profile.country.GB.title
lukeymo
Explorer

Just to update on this...

We purchased a 2021 model Sony Bravia TV (KD50X81JU) earlier this year and were disappointed/annoyed to see that none of the standard UK TV catch-up apps were included (iPlayer, ITV hub, 4od & My5)... It was then that i discovered this support thread, and have been keeping an eye on it!

Encouraged by the post above, I contacted the official Sony support line (Which, if anyone wants to do the same, is:  +44 (0) 2073652810) and they told me that they are expecting there to be a firmware update released at some point this month (December 2021), which will include all of the missing players mentioned above.

Fingers crossed Sony keep good on this word.

profile.country.GB.title
Ruff4ge
Explorer

What I'm hoping for (and I doubt happens), is not only the catchup services but proper Freeview integration, so the EPG gets an update and allows for direct access to the catchup services.  This is how it is on my Humax Aura running Google TV and it's a really nice GUI, with tiles in the Google TV home screen etc.

profile.country.GB.title
Sparkyboykeith
Explorer

I bought Sony Brava 55" OLED TV at beginning of this week, and been struggling for last few days to load basic catch up apps, eg BBC iPlayer, ITV catch-up etc, etc.  Sony chat were no help whatsoever.  Then discovered this thread running since April this year!  I've performed latest software updates and only app in this range that I could get was My5, no sign of others being available for download.  Next step is to arrange return to store for a full refund as product as sold, is not fit for purpose.

profile.country.GB.title
Mister_G_
Explorer

Not sure if this is good or not, but the PS5 has just had an update to allow iPlayer, or iPlayer has just had an update to allow PS5, anyhoo hoping that Sony has sorted the licensing issue and we get an early Xmas present...