Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
Classiccarman
Explorer

We use these apps that are built in to our Virgin cable TV box but if you rely on these apps to go with Freeview it is a big  issue here in the UK. You keep getting 'ads' on BBC and ITV  telling you to watch the whole series on catchup which is impossible at the moment.

Apparently Sony are launching a software update to add these apps to the Bravia Smart  TV range before Christmas so you should be able to download this through your broadband connection to the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

@Riggie5454  I have the identical KD43XG8096 model to yours (from 2019) and my apps are still working and isn't related to this 2021 issue, I wonder if you need to reboot the TV (press and hold power to restart TV) or unplug it... or worst case, do a factory reset to make it like new and tune in your channels and hopefully reset the apps.

profile.country.GB.title
Hummmmmmy

@spannerzone this is a problem that affects Sony’s 2021 models running Google TV. 

Unfortunately the solutions you’ve suggested are not appropriate to this issue. 

If you read the other comments, you’ll notice it appears to be related to licensing agreement. 

Those of us with models that are affected are hoping that this will be resolved with a future firmware update and we are following this thread for any news of this appearing. 

profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

@Hummmmmmy - I was replying (or at least trying to) reply to someone earlier in this thread saying they had issues with their 2019 model. I failed to notice that hitting reply to a comment doesn't quote the comment I was replying to! The quote feature didn't work for some reason, I thought it used to but maybe I'm wrong. Apologies for the confusion....I've edited my original post to tag that person and hopefully make it clearer. Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Moanygit
Explorer

Bought a KD50X81J at the weekend. Dismayed to realise no UK streaming apps are installed or installable.

Found this thread and I'm not too reassured to realise that this has been going on for a year now. 

I have had this (now familiar) response from Sony, with no definite timeline.

"Thank you for contacting Sony support.

With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-50X81J, we would like to highlight the catchup streaming apps like BBC iPlayer, iTV hub, All4 and My5 currently are not available on our BRAVIA TVs. Applications are expected to be available during 2021.

Also, kindly note that your TV is ready for these applications, so there is no fault with the TV. Sony is waiting on an agreement with these providers to be able to make the applications available to you. We hope to make this available as soon as possible."

profile.country.GB.title
SurreyEagle
Explorer

Hi everyone- Very glad to have discovered this forum as I’ve just purchased a Bravia XR65A80JU, and whilst I had heard of this problem with IPlayer etc, I do have one question: Sky Q will be my source of programming once TV is installed, and IPlayer, ITV hub etc are all part of my Sky Q package- so can’t I just watch them via Sky on my Sony tv? 
Apologies if this has already been asked/answered - thanks! 

profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

@SurreyEagle - yes you can watch using your Sky Q box, that is a totally seperate device and the Sony TV is just acting as a screen and speakers for your Sky Q box which would be supplying the iplayer etc.

profile.country.GB.title
bobsapp
Explorer

Hi, I also bought the A90J and was pretty shocked that the common TV apps are simply not available. However, I'd like to share with you where I am, in terms of a workaround, until the momentous occasion when the apps will be available. I will keep it short, but can dive into any topic if required.

Installation

• Install a file explorer on your TV, such as "AN Explorer" from the Google Play store
  • Download the relevant applications (iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My 5) from a reputable APK mirror site (yes, I know this is debatable, but most of the big named APK Mirror sites are not out to scam you)
  • Put them on a USB stick, and put the stick into the TV, and open your file explorer app
  • Navigate to each of the .apk files you downloaded and open it. You will need to permit 'unknown sources' on the first occasion for your file explorer app (you are permitting your file explorer to install '3rd party' apk files). 
  • iPlayer, ITV and My 5 will appear as apps in your app drawer. All 4 doesn't even show.

Operation

• In general, iPlayer works OK and is ready for use. ITV Hub and My 5 don't work. Channel 4 appears in portrait mode only
  • Install the same apps (except iPlayer - it's not necessary as it works on the TV) on your phone /tablet. Browse to your desired program. 
  • Press 'Cast' and you should be able to view the content on your TV.

Yea, for such a priced TV, this is pathetic, but better than having nothing.

Hope this helps someone.

profile.country.GB.title
copyrightimage

Sony have promised us that these apps will be available for our TVs within the next 23 days as there are only 23 days left in 2021.

It would be nice if they could release the update in time for Christmas. If the third party negotiations have failed then I think it would be good if Sony were to tell us so we can all prepare to return our sets.

The whole point of me buying a smart tv with iPlayer (Sony claim this is the case for my TV) is to have one remote to deal with, Im not interested in workarounds or attaching other devices/remotes.

Come on Sony, the longer you delay the greater the anger will be.

profile.country.GB.title
GenericUserName

It seems my reply vanished. It definitely posted as I got the badge for it. I'll chalk it up to being a bug. Either that or I just don't know how to forum here. 

I'm none too pleased. The retailer I bought off specifically listed iplayer, ITV hub and all 4 as being part and parcel of the TV. The only caveat was that I had to be in the UK, which I'm fairly certain that I am.

I don't watch live TV as I don't have a TV licence. I'll stream TV after its been broadcast (except from iplayer) the lack of this would mean I would need to purchase a TV licence and turn my TV into a recorder. Or that I would need separate equipment that offers these services, that separate equipment such as a roku stick/box. would take up an HDMI port on my TV, or my AVR. Losing an HDMI port on my AVR is hardly the end of the world but its an extra remote control.

I'll speak with the retailer about this. For such a high end TV it isn't acceptable and definitely breaches a number of advertising standards here.

There are other issues too, like complicated laptop wireless screen sharing or the fact that if I plug in a mouse said mouse doesn't work (I'll see the cursor but can't click on anything) when using Netflix.

There's 22 days left until 2022. Hopefully I can sort things out with my retailer or Sony release a surprise update. However I'm not holding my breath, usually when there's <1 month to a major update it's announced. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.