Join now - be part of our community!

Something wrong with my new DSC HX350?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Sony-Cybershot-User
Explorer

Something wrong with my new DSC HX350?

Hello, I just bought a new DSC HX350.  It's great, but I think I might have a problem with it.  When I click the shutter button, quite often I hear 3 clicks, instead of 1, and when I hear 3 clicks, there is a lengthy pause while the message "Processing..." is displayed on the screen.  What is happening please?  It's like it's taking 3 pictures, rather than just 1.  There doesn't seem to be a reason for this, because I simply press the shutter button in the same way, in other words, the same pressure applied to the shutter button, every time.

Thanks a lot for any comments! :slight_smile:

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Sony-Cybershot-User,

@Sony-Cybershot-User@  wrote:

When I hear 3 clicks, and then check my SD card, only 1 photo is saved/stored.  So, I wonder if the 3 clicks sound is associated with the "noise reduction" process?  Seems odd though. 

you are right, it has to do with the noise reduction. The camera takes multiple images and processes it into one image. @darkframe pointed me to the solution.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000508980.html?search=superior

Helpguide:

The product may shoot multiple images and create a composite image, etc., 

As someone who shoots in manual mode most of the time I was not aware of that function. :sweat_smile:

- Nic

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

HI there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

Can you let me know if you are getting any other messages other than 'Processing'?

Can you also make sure that the battery has been charged for several hours before inserting it in the camera.

Also ensure the lens is correctly attached, and the subject is focused. 

Let me know how you get on. 

Cheers,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Sony-Cybershot-User
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your message,

The camera is definitely fully charged, the subject is definitely in focus, and the lens attached - I've only just bought it, it's brand new.  The message is just "Processing...".  I looked up this warning message in the detailed manual (not the simple printed manual that came in the box), and it mentions something about noise reduction.  Can you please confirm that if the camera makes 3 clicks, rather than the very usual 1, and that it says Processing, that this is doing a noise reduction action, rather than some other action?

Thanks a lot!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

you either set the mode-dial to "Panorama sweep" or set the drive mode to "Continious Shooting".

Read more about the drive mode here: https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000518226.html

Read more about the mode-dial here: https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000518198.html

- Nic

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Sony-Cybershot-User,

I'd say that Nic is partially right. You've obviously activated the so-called bracketing using mode "BRK C". You'll find more information about this here.

Moving the dial to Sweep Panorama won't help though. You'll need to change the drive mode to e.g. Single or Continuous Shooting.

In bracketing mode C your camera takes 3 shots using 3 different exposure values each time (one image correct, one too light and one too dark). That's why you're hearing 3 "clicks" and that's why it says "processing" for some seconds. It just takes a bit until all 3 images are stored to your SD card. However, this enables you to produce a "real" HDR image.

This mode is useful especially in difficult light situations like light bright sky + dark foreground. The "correct" image will be a compromise but may be you can't see any clouds because it's too light for this purpose while at the same time still being too dark for objects in the darker areas. The midtones however will be okay. The lighter image taken in the series of three will reveal what's in the dark areas while the image being too dark shows the clouds. Combining those three images will help you in seeing the clouds and objects in the darker areas at the same time. However, this still needs some experience and a programme which can handle this process.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
Sony-Cybershot-User
Explorer

Thanks for all the very interesting suggestions!

The bracket mode sounds very plausible, however!, this is what happens when I get this problem:

I use the camera, and hear 1 click, for say taking about 6 separate photos.  Then, without doing anything to the camera's settings etc, I use the camera again, just a few moments later, and when I do, I hear 3 clicks.  I then use the camera again, just a few moments later, without changing anything with the camera's settings, and the camera goes back to making "1 click sound photos" again.

In other words, while I am using the camera, and not changing any of its settings for the whole time that I am using the camera, it behaves intermittently, occasionally taking 3 photos, rather than 1, for no apparent reason.

I have yet to "reset" the camera.  I think I will try that next.....

I bought it new from Amazon.  Do I have 30 days in which to return it, if the camera keeps behaving oddly?  Thanks alot.

profile.country.GB.title
Sony-Cybershot-User
Explorer

An additional thought -- I have the camera in "Superior Mode", not "Intelligent Mode".

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @darkframe,

Why would switching to sweep panorama solve the issue? :thinking: 

EDIT: My wording in my last comment lead to a misunderstanding - I talked to @darkframe and now we sorted it out :grin:

I said the camera probably shoots multiple images, since it is set to sweep panorama by accident, or that the drive mode is set to contious shooting (again by accident).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Sony-Cybershot-User
Explorer

I've just discovered something.  When I hear 3 clicks, and then check my SD card, only 1 photo is saved/stored.  So, I wonder if the 3 clicks sound is associated with the "noise reduction" process?  Seems odd though. 

Can someone please set their HX350 to Superior mode, and attempt to take some photos that are say 1) poor indoors lighting, and/or 2) perhaps take a photo of something that might make the camera not focus on it properly?

Do you hear 3 clicks, and see the "Processing..." warning message, but then discover that only 1 photo has actually been stored to your memory card?

Thanks a lot!!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

@Sony-Cybershot-User@  wrote:

When I hear 3 clicks, and then check my SD card, only 1 photo is saved/stored.  So, I wonder if the 3 clicks sound is associated with the "noise reduction" process?  Seems odd though. 

you are right, it has to do with the noise reduction. The camera takes multiple images and processes it into one image. @darkframe pointed me to the solution.

https://helpguide.sony.net/dsc/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000508980.html?search=superior

Helpguide:

The product may shoot multiple images and create a composite image, etc., 

As someone who shoots in manual mode most of the time I was not aware of that function. :sweat_smile:

- Nic