Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
collintuk
Explorer

Unfortuantely I didnt see these threads til this morning after going out yesterday and buying a new product...ggrrrr which I have now opened but not used but Im assuming curry's will now not take my new product back?.......pee'd off does not cover it 😞   I only looked it up on the net when I had UPDATE on the machine as i was still using it to watch all the programmes already in my hard drive.  Unhappy bunny now.

pewrigh38

the affected ones are pioneer, maybe you also own a DC recorder made by samsung ?
pooksyuk
Explorer

I for one am completely fed up which the lack of an update. I've now emailed various papersand suggest others do the same. It may help Sony to recognise its customers are important.
stroger8938

I am also rather annoyed about all this. I went out yesterday thinking my machine had failed and purchased a new (LG) DVD recorder. Now I find my SONY is not unserviceable but it seems likely that someone has done a change to the EPG which has totally screwed these machines.

Having said that I am surprised that the ONLY machines which are failing are these recorders, none of my TVs have failed in any way with this update, neither has my PC TV card, so SONY (or whoever designed and built these) messed up in how they handle bad data. So I do strongly believe that SONY as the badged supplier do have a responsibility to make changes to the firmware to prevent such a catastrophe in future.

Stuart

grumpyguts
Explorer

I have 4 (yes, four) RDR-HXD970s operating at home (and another not plugged in as a spare, because for some nutty reason Sony don't make this sort of thing any more). All four were displaying the "UPDATE" message. I have now turned a couple of them "French". This really is appalling for a company of Sony's reputation. It's no good blaming Arqiva either. You should already have corrected this by now.

Sony really is no longer the brand it once was, and that saddens me.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Grumpyguts - I appreciate your frustration. Right now we have to understand the cause of it so we can prevent it happening again and so regretabbly a fix isn't instantaneous as EPG data is provided by 3rd parties. But rest assured we will have this resolved as quickly as possible.

jra505

I've reported this to the BBC News website. I think all the UK's Sony freeview boxes malfunctioning simultaneously is a pretty big story.
Neil_V
Explorer

I also have two recorders with the 505 not being affected but the 790 being unusable and either stuck in update or with no channels. I have switched of automatic update, is this wise?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Neil_V

Shouldn't make any difference as there hasn't been a firmware update for 2 years, so unlikley that itsthe casue of the issue. Have you tried the workaround in the top post to resolve the update issue?

thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Neil_V

Shouldn't make any difference as there hasn't been a firmware update for 2 years, so unlikley that itsthe casue of the issue. Have you tried the workaround in the top post to resolve the update issue?

thanks

Tags (1)