Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

195 REPLIES 195
damortl
Explorer

I also have been unable to stop the "update" on our HXD 870. Unplugging resets to the clock for around 3 seconds then the update continues.  

jostani5094
Explorer

RDR-HDX995 Lincs

After switching to France last night, came down this morning to see "UPDATE"!

After a few hours, pressed power off and it restarted - mine goes into disk repair - then it started another update.

So, next I cannot remember whether I did another power off or unplugged entirely.

Noticed channels reappeared! :slight_smile: I had lost everything previously.

Checked EPG - listings had appeared :))

After repair disk, I am able to go to system menu and changed back to UK.

All seems to be OK!! Fingers crossed, don't know when the next standard update is due!

profile.country.en_GB.title
gerry1047

You say you have been 'working to understand this problem'  since early yesterday. Yet its only in the last hour that you have been actively responding on line.

So do you think anybody believes you......they dont!

My machine is still stuck in update. I dont want to 'go french'......so what should I do? leave it churning on....unplug it or what.

I don't want to make things worse, because the chance of getting any help or recompense from Sony seems minimal.

Let's hope the BBC and papers do pick up on this....you certainly deserve it.

jdf2000
Explorer

Same problem here with the RDR-HXD770, stuck on update, if I hold down power button and eventually get the recorder to start I can play recorded content but cannot view the TV guide and all channels are blank.
anneprice
Explorer

Well, it's on the BBC web site, jra505, as of about 5 mins ago. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23395516

profile.country.GB.title
liketv

I have an 870, 2x 790's and a 970 in use  (plus others not connected at present) and they are all behaving differently after timer recordings.  Is this because of the different versions of firmware on different machines?   1.15,  1.24,  and 1.70

rckstdy
Explorer

So after using the France setting last night it worked without any tv guide. Then woke up this morning to find it was stuck in update mode again. After using the classic IT solution of switching it on and off again a few times it came on and started working as normal, I have now reset to UK mode and it is still working as normal. Let's see how it goes once the unit is switched off again during the night.

Egometto
Explorer

I've just tried everything again (including going back to the 'UK' setting, and, as far as I can see, everything is working normally again, including EPG. If, as Catmambo says, the fault was with third party material, perhaps we should thank Sony, rather than curse them? As to not responding sooner to these posts and to emails, maybe they were concentrating on fixing the problem? Hope all is well now.

I have a HXD970 recorder which was affected like all others reported. After reading the posts in the other thread I interupted the update and retuned using Easy Setup, choosing Belgium rather than France as the location (simply as it was the first non-UK location in the list). This restored the channels to a viewable state, but without EPG.

Around mid-day I tried going through Easy Setup without a channel replace, simply selecting the UK as my location from the full list of countries shown in the last stages of the Easy Setup dialogues. After selecting the Digital EPG option I found that the full EPG for the UK channels was once again available, though without the Series Record option when selecting a programme to record.

At 12.30pm UK time I went through the whole Easy Setup once again but selecting UK as the location from the start. Unlike any of my attempts earlier this morning this successfully stored all available Freeview channels, and once the DIgital EPG had been selected it too is now working properly. Full EPG access, which I did not have this morning, all channels remaining on screen  successfully (instead of sound and vision being cut off after a few seconds). The EPG includes the Seres Record option, which I found shortly after mid-day was not present when I tried to select the country in Easy Setup withput going through the full retune.

In any event, I am a bit happer that my 970 is now back to a fully-working condition. I wonder if others will also find that using Easy Setup for the UK is now working once again for them too? 

pbannist
Explorer

2nd most read article on the BBC