Join now - be part of our community!

My battery gauge is tricking me?

SkyEx
Visitor

My battery gauge is tricking me?

Okay, here's the thing. I bought my Xperia ion about 3 months ago, and so far it has been great; except for one thing. It happened a few times before, and I let it go, but I'm not having any of it anymore. The phone gives me a low battery notification at around 43-41% of battery or a little less.

The first time it happened, I thought the battery was actually drained. I put the phone on charge, but then the battery precentage it shows on the top corner of the lock screen was 40%. It happened again but I was on a trip on top of a mountain. So basically, I couldn't take photos for the second half of the trip, and so many memories would've been lost if it weren't for my friend's Note II.

After that one time, I suppose the battery was actually completely drained during the time spent from when it shut off till I went home. The phone stopped doing it for a while after that, and I remember one time it reached 12% without giving me the 0% battery notification. But two days ago, it happened again. Also, just now, it almost shut down at 43% and now I put it on charge.

I love Sony's phones and I always have. This one has been really amazing so far, the camera, the screen, the sound, everything is pure quality, but I'd love for them to last a bit longer. I really hope someone could help.

Thank you.

84 REPLIES 84
Nabeel
Master

akhiltan The time you're taking about is the time for which your phone has been on battery and not the remaining time

suga49 Again do the trick. If the problem still ooccurs then go for a software re-installation using SUS.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

suga49
Visitor

I repaired the software. still no luck..and am facing yet another problem.. Battery is not charging properly. It takes 15-20 minutes to charge 1%. I am using the original charger and am also sure that its not a charger problem. Charger works fine on other phones.

tzortzigr
Visitor

Hello guys!

I have the xperia ray phone for over a year ago and unfortunately i have the same battery drop issue.

I have read some threads about this problem in this forum, so I learned from Nabeel's post about the "get the battery out for 5 mins and reinsert it" trick. When I do this the battery % usually from 50% (for example) will go to 30-40%. But for my bad luck the problem appears again! After the next charge or after many hours the battery % gets wrong again for some reason. For so much time ago I get out the battery and reinsert it almost every day or day after day, but I can't do that anymore. So i decided to sign up and post here.

I have noticed that if i get out the battery,reinsert it,charge the phone and do the same with the battery again after 1-2 hours, the battery% may remain the same or will drop 1%. But if I do this (the battery trick) after a day, the difference in the stats will will be bigger.

I saw at Nabeel's thread here http://talk.sonymobile.com/thread/128862 that to avoid this problem you have not to leave the charger when battery's full. Well I've tried that, also I tried not to charge the phone till battery's full (almost to 90-95%), but the problem still there. I also tried to charge the phone for 3 hours turned on, still no luck.

I can't understand why in my phone the problem solves for a little and after some time comes back. Could anyone help me?

Nabeel
Master

suga49 I thinks it's a problem with the battery because it's taking too long to even charge.

Please get it examined at sony service center.

tzortzigr I added few updates to that battery thread,

If any of the above didn't help then >

Reinstall the phone's software using SUS and start fresh.

SUS > http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/

How to avoid this error in future

1. ............
  2. Avoid using apps that monitor / manage battery, task killers, android manager, battery savers. They usually harm more than they do good.
hazzukota_
Visitor

Hi ,

You told in the main forum not to use battery saver, task killer apps. I am using them tough. I just want to know how the phone is affected with kind of these apps. Can you please make it clear so i will uninstall them...

ro14987
Visitor

Hey everyone!

I bought an Xperia ion 3 weeks ago. After 4 days, I noticed that the battery suddenly dropped from 7 to 0%. I didn't give it any importance and just recharged the phone. A week later, the battery dropped at once from 12 to 0%. I recharged it again and all went back to normal untill today when my battery suddenly dropped from 24% to 0%. I recharged it to 67% and used it a bit untill it dropped to 63% then I did what Nabeel suggested by pressing the volume up and power button together untill the phone vibrated 3 times. Then I turned the phone one and instead of seeing a decrease of 5+%, my battery increased to 65%. Furthermore , the battery graph didnt show any battery decrease from 24 to 0%. It shows that the battery increased from 25 to 67% (when I charged the phone) and I can't see any gap in the graph as the one Nabeel mentionned?

Can someone (especially Nabeel) please explain what is happenning exactly with me? Why the graph doesnt show that my battery ddroped to 0% and why I didn't see a battery drop after forcing a phone restart?

Thanks so much!

Tags (1)
profile.country.BE.title
David_VdV

@Nabeel: regarding your thread about abnormal battery%: do you honestly suggest that I should wake up in the middle of the night to unplug the charger? Seriously, I don't even consider doing this and it is a deep shame that a company like Sony even suggests doing this kind of thing.

Just make a phone that works!

Or -at least- post solutions that work! (I wasted already quiet some time re-installing and searching this forum - but nothing helps!)

profile.country.RO.title
_alexdon_
Expert

No,Li-Ion batteries do not have problems like over charging or anything like that.You could try to restart your phone regularly and do not use battery savers.

alexdon
aK13994
Visitor

I have recently purchased Sony Xperia L, the phone is excellent and has no issues until recently i found a bug in the phne's battery. Whenever my battery reaches around 50% it suddenly drops t0 43% or 45% in a minute when the phone is idle. I dont use any battery doctor type of apps but i do use Clean master. Suggest me a solution ASAP. Thanks!

jasonsouliere_y
Visitor

Samsung to the rescue again.