Join now - be part of our community!

My battery gauge is tricking me?

SkyEx
Visitor

My battery gauge is tricking me?

Okay, here's the thing. I bought my Xperia ion about 3 months ago, and so far it has been great; except for one thing. It happened a few times before, and I let it go, but I'm not having any of it anymore. The phone gives me a low battery notification at around 43-41% of battery or a little less.

The first time it happened, I thought the battery was actually drained. I put the phone on charge, but then the battery precentage it shows on the top corner of the lock screen was 40%. It happened again but I was on a trip on top of a mountain. So basically, I couldn't take photos for the second half of the trip, and so many memories would've been lost if it weren't for my friend's Note II.

After that one time, I suppose the battery was actually completely drained during the time spent from when it shut off till I went home. The phone stopped doing it for a while after that, and I remember one time it reached 12% without giving me the 0% battery notification. But two days ago, it happened again. Also, just now, it almost shut down at 43% and now I put it on charge.

I love Sony's phones and I always have. This one has been really amazing so far, the camera, the screen, the sound, everything is pure quality, but I'd love for them to last a bit longer. I really hope someone could help.

Thank you.

84 REPLIES 84
Nabeel
Master
Markqq
Visitor

Hello,

I used to guide above. First hard resetted the phone and then reinstalled through PC Compaion (reseted the whole phone) and still my battery keep randomly dropping.

Any thoughts..? It is quite annoying problem.

Nabeel
Master

Hello Markqq

This problem is universal and causes troubles across all android phones and google hasn't corrected it yet.

I can only say you to follow precautions given in the the battery thread. Remove charge as soon as your phone reaches 100% .

davek
Visitor

So I did this..

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Facing-problems-with-abnormal-battery-and-shutdown/m-p/320375/thre...

and so far so good. Battery is showing 79% after 7hrs usage - which is an enormous improvement on the problems I was having.

I just have to wait and see if the battery will run down normally, and not shut down suddenly to 0% at any random point (like it had been, at 50 or 40 or 30 percent for example).

I have just one question: the advice in this thread to avoid this problem occurring or re-occurring, is to remove from charge once it hits 100%. I use the Sony wireless charging dock which doubles up nicely as a night clock, so I cannot be checking and removing this when it hits 100% - it defeats the purpose of the wireless charging dock.

It there a dock-specific setting or app from Sony that will shut off wireless charging when charged to 100%. If it's causing a problem as big as that mentioned above, then I think there should be!

thanks.

davek
Visitor

Screenshot_2014-10-08-14-36-22.png

BUT, it was too good to be true. Battery went from 50% to 22% in a matter of minutes and then phone shut down, battery was dead... see above.

davek
Visitor

I have had a battery problem for last week or so where the percentage would drop rapdily and anywhere after 50% the battery could shut down (0%) at any time.

I tried upgrading Android (from 4.2.2 to 4.4.4), I tried fixing the phone with the Support Centre options in PC Companion, but nothing worked.

Then I came across this article yesterday:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Facing-problems-with-abnormal-battery-and-shutdown/m-p/320375/thre...

Perfect, it worked! Or so it seems. I got over 9 hours battery and was on 50%, everything was going great when suddenly the percentage dropped to 22% and then 0% and shut down. How disappointing it was.

See battery graph below.

Screenshot_2014-10-08-14-36-22.png

Markqq
Visitor

Interesting fact that wifi or mobile data kills the battery..

I see some people having the problem as phone shuts down randomly, like something just unload or kills the battery, but I don't have this kind of problem.

Lets say if I charge to 100%, it will go down step by step.. It might be 50% after 5min of using or not, it is just random, but whenever it goes down to 1%, my phone will not shut down. Once I had the phone up for 2 days with 1% battery.

So it seems like my battery is working normally, it does not randomly unload itself.

But it's just being total random by showing it wrong, being 1% most of the time even though there is still battery left.. It is annoying because I have no idea when it's going to shut down.

Nothing seem to help to solve the problem so I might just live with it for now Thinking_Face

Nabeel
Master

Wow davek. Now thats an instant drop in battery but that problem is different from the one with "abnormal percentage"

I believe some app caused that drop. Next time when you have the same thing, take screenshot of all the apps in the list and also of the chart that you posted above.

soj
Visitor

My xperia m2 dual volume unexpectedly going less mostly time. I am very disappointed. Pls fix sony with next update.
NirmalSitaldin9
Visitor

Hi, I also have the same problem in a=battery drop, sometimes the phone's (Z2) battery is normal, then all of a sudden in drains like crazy! Just an hour ago it dropped from 38 to 34% in Standby mode all of a sudden. This always happens atleast once a day, but then it's back to normal.. It occurs randomly, is this normal? And btw how much battery time can you get when watching f.e. YouTube for 5 hours..? Thank u