Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
Tozz74
New

•  Bravia kdl-32w705b no longer accessing bbc iplayer for past 4 days.
  • Firmware up to date.
  • Able to access other apps eg amazon, channel 5.
  • Network set up fine but error messages when trying to refresh internet content.
  • Has anyone found solution please?
  • All working fine 4 days ago.
profile.country.GB.title
gussie

The BBC have nformed me that it is up to Sony to fix the issue.

The real issue is that Smart TVs can never keep up with the constant tinkering that the BBC, Netflix etc do to their streaming services.

ANY Smart TV bought today will be become obsoleted within a year or two with respect to streamingf services. TV Manufactuerers will never spec theit on board proccesing well enough to cope with future proofing!

All you can do is rely on seperate add on boxes like NowTV etc /and even they may have to be replaced every few years to cope with whatever comes along) or a dedicated PC solution.

I've learned the hard way - my 7 year old KDL-37EX403 no longer copes with YouTube etc and my two year old KDL-32W705B and my partners KDL-42W705B suffer the current BBC iPlayer issues.

profile.country.GB.title
Gui3do
Explorer

For your sanity Tozz74, I can confirm you are not alone, I have the same TV, the  kdl32w705b and from sometime on Tuesday June 20th iplayer gives the Internet download failed message very briefy then returns TV to a standard channel:( ..All very annoying as this is a great little TV and I really don't see why I should have to go and buy a firestick or now tv to get iplayer which was one of the reasons I choose it in the first place....

profile.country.GB.title
Tozz74
New

Thanks for the reply.  We went for full factory reset in the ebd and its working now!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy A3 2016 - powered by Three
profile.country.GB.title
Gui3do
Explorer

Good news...weirdly I managed to get it working by using WiFi to connect to my router rather than the direct Ethernet cable that's been doing the job for the last couple of years.  BTW the cable was not at fault as amazon prime was still streaming fine with it...

Nonamous
Explorer

Started happening today..

Glanstonbury episodes

Bug came back

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Nonamous

What model TV do you have?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jimtyro
Explorer

I have no idea why the BBC should consider this issue closed. I have reported the same problem some months ago and was told that 'they were working with Sony to resolve it'. I have worked around it by using Amazon otherwise IPlayer would be almost unuseable.I tried it the other day to see if there had been any improvement, and nearly every programme failed to load with this message appearing.

The fault would seem to lie in the design of the TV which has insufficient memory to cope with the demands of downloading and streaming programmes from catch-up sites such as IPlayer. Unless Sony comes up with a fix, I can only assume that the Bravia range - which is otherwise arguably one of the best HDTVs on the market - is a model to steer clear of. I hate to consider replacing what is a nearly new TV but Sony don't seem to take this seriously and this speaks volumes for their attitude to customers so I suppose that we have to assume that Sony is a make to treat with suspicion where TVs are concerned. Pity.

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

I can confirm the issue is STILL present TODAY on both my Sony TVs - KDL-32W705B and KDL-42W705B.

Both the BBC and Sony are clearly stonewalling this in the hope that folks will simply accept the situation and buy a external box solution if they really want BBC iPlayer functionality.

As I said in my earlier post, it is obvious that ALL so called Smart TVs only stay "smart" for a short time because the onboard processing will be woefully underspecced and can never keep up with future streaming improvements.

The issue is one of "Fit for Purpose" - my TVs are two years old and have 5 year warranties with John Lewis. If this issue cannot be resolved soon then John Lewis will be informed that both my TVs are not fit for purpose and a claim will be raised through the Small Claims Court process if no solution can be found.

I would encourage others with recent model Sony TVs to do the same, escpecially if they still have warranties in place.

Yes, I know I can go out and buy a NOW TV box for as little as £13 today BUT there is a principle involved here - manufacturers hoodwinking consumers and in any case, why should I pay anything extra for functionality that I should already have and have paid for!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Sony is aware of the on-going issues.  I believe they may be publishing some communications about this (unsure when though).

So as a summary:

FY2011 TV Models – BBC iPlayer discontinued (previously fault)

FY2012 TV Models – No fault

FY2013 TV Models – Fault

FY2014 TV Models – Fault

Cheers