Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix not working

SOLVED
macgers77
New

Netflix not working

I have just purchased a new Sony KDL-46W905A today.  I cannot get the Netflix app to connect.  I click on app and it gives me error NW4-8.  I have been in contact with Netflix and they can't even sort it.  Internet is fine - just can't connect to Netflix servers.  Has anyone any ideas it's driving me nuts

178 REPLIES 178
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Calavera00

Is your ISP BT and do you have a BT HomeHub3 Router by any chance?

Cheers

Calavera00
Explorer

@Canary_Paul

That's in my list of things I tried... did it twice, didn't work for me 😞

@Anonymous

Hi! No, I'm in Sweden and my ISP is Ownit. My router is an Apple Time Capsule. Are they known for causing these issues?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Not heard of issues with Apple Time Capsule, but then again no one has posted on this forum in regards to it either :slight_smile:

A suggestion: try using the manual network settings on the TV, and use Googles DNS Servers

Primary = 8.8.8.8

Secondary = 8.8.4.4

Cheers

chris181174

Hi no I have virgin never had a problem only when I bought the tv then I was in contact with Sony and Netflix together and they blamed each other then Sony brought out an update and this fixed all the TVs then they brought out another update and that has messed it up 🙈🙈

Blocked drains northwest
Calavera00
Explorer

@Anonymous

Tried manual over wired network but doesn't seem to work either, same error as always, can't connect to any of the Netflix servers.

Tried directly connecting the network to the TV, but I don't have a static IP address so didn't get it to work. I use DHCP in the router.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Calavera00

Im at a loss on what else to suggest to be honest - as you have done alot of troubleshooting already.  Id say contact Sony support, but in previous cases, Sony blames Netflix and Netflix blames either Sony or ISP 😞

On a side note, many routers allow you to set a range of IP addresses for the DHCP pool.  For me, i lhave the following, and then my statics start from the 100 range.  An option??

_20160405_231436.JPG

peter.carey
Explorer

Hi
If I remember correctly there was a way of testing the login using your browser to a Netflix web address where you enter your system id (forgot what the correct name is) provided in your tv menu. Details may have been in my thread. Check your router logs or call Netflix. I eventually dumped Netflix and used Amazon Prime after the firmware update fixed the issue. I was paying for Netflix and Amazon prime so I simply dumped Netflix when Amazon Prime included movies as part of the membership.

You also need a fast line so fibre is best otherwise movies will stop and start.

Regards,
Peter Carey
krs360
Explorer

Hi, 

I bought a KDL40W705C about a month ago, has been working fine with Netflix, iplayer etc. 

Received a update last night, and now none of the streaming services work. 

Press the Netflix button on the remote, and nothing happens. Except then none of the buttons on the remote do anything, including the standby button. The only solution is to switch off at the plug. 

If I access Netflix or iplayer through the apps menu, I get the splash screen and then the TV restarts itself. 

The software version shows 8.062-1000-1.082-01, and the model number shows KDL-40WD653 (which is different from the receipt, which say KDL40W705C). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi krs360

It seems you have two issues - what model tv you have and TV restarting itself.

TV Model:

I believe you have the WD model.  To confirm this: Press the [HELP] button on the remote control and the scroll down to "System Information"

TV Restarting:

As the 2016 WD models have received an update just recently, can you please do a factory reset as this can clear many issues.  See instructions HERE

Cheers

krs360
Explorer

@Quinnicus wrote:

Hi krs360

It seems you have two issues - what model tv you have and TV restarting itself.

TV Model:

I believe you have the WD model.  To confirm this: Press the [HELP] button on the remote control and the scroll down to "System Information"

TV Restarting:

As the 2016 WD models have received an update just recently, can you please do a factory reset as this can clear many issues.  See instructions HERE

Cheers

Factory reset didn't help, have already tried this. Have also reset all network equipment. 

Is it possible to roll back the firmware to the previous version? 

I do have the WD version, the shop supplied the wrong TV.