Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kemowbr wrote:

Do any Sony personnel ever appear in this community?

Rarely.  This is a Community not a support forum, which is run and supported by all of us.  Overseen by offificial moderators as well as a few labled as experts, who do have direct contant with Sony when needed.  However Sony does keep an eye on these forums, even if they dont post directly.

Funster73
Explorer

Thanks kemowbr... I have Amazon and that's just about the only usable service on my TV now...I select it with baited breath just waiting for it say 'no access' ! 

Do you have any idea how I can get my Sky News app(?) working again. It loads but has 'old news'...  (A story about Russia from about 2 months about!)

I have done a factory reset, have latest firmware and have run diagnostics etc...all to no avail!

AntiSony
Explorer

At least it's partly gratifying to know that Sony is aware of this forum. Unfortunately, I doubt that they will be that concerned about a problem if they believe that it only affects a few people. They're far more likely to focus their available resources into dealing with what they consider to be more urgent issues, like flogging their latest Smart TV's to people who will be oblivious to the fact that they could well be in a similar situation in 4 years time.

Several of us have problems with internet Sky (it does connect to a server, unlike iplayer, but then streams out-of-date content).  Curiously, kemowbr reports that his is working

This probably ought to be a different thread.

Can Quinnicus help to start one, please? Thanks. (I’m probably being dumb, but I cannot see how to do it myself)

Funster73
Explorer

Thought it was just me David!

i also have no idea how to start a thread but yes I would be interested in any help anyone can give 😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

All you have to do is go into the right sub-forum and click "New Message"

Heres the link anyhow to where it should go

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bd-p/tv_en_1

Cheers

Thanks Quinnicus.

So if anyone else wants to pursue the problem with Sky, it is on:

"Bravia TV Streams old Sky Content"

Maybe some newer TVs do not have the problem?

Funster73
Explorer

That's great I will do that. Thanks guys 👍

profile.country.GB.title
Stewnorm
Explorer

Unless Sony is going to fix and restore iPlayer service within a specified timeframe, then perhaps it could be justified to take issue because of the message content itself i.e., "Temporarily cannot access the server".  The intent of the messagte is that the issue is temporary and therefore implies that "access to the server" will be provided within a reasonable timeframe.  If Sony has no intention of restoring access to the server i.e. provide iPlayer service, then they are at fault for issuing an inaccurate and misleading statement which could be considered an intentional act to delude and deceive the customer - also known as fraud I believe..........

KSKI76
Explorer

For anyone interested the Amazon Fire stick £24 worked a treat. Only downside is it streams on wifi and mine is a bit lumpy due to poor internet provision. You can take it out and plug it into any Sony hdmi and it gives you the content you thought you had --// Until you buy a new Samsung or Panasonic or LG ! Sent from my iPhone