Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Sony Xperia Tablet powers itself off.. advice please!

Hi! 

Bought a 32gb Xperia Tablet S last Monday and am happy with it.   I have this issue at the moment and would appreciate any advice.

If I do not use the tablet for a time, it goes into a 'standby mode' and I can touch the power switch to wake it up.  I then slide the unlock icon to make all active again.  :slight_smile:

However, after a period of non-use, my tablet switches off completely and I have to reboot and can see the SONY screen and then XPERIA screen, before it boots and is ready to use.  :thinking:

Occasionally this reboot happens within 5 minutes of being in sleep mode.:smileycry:

In Settings -> Display,  I have set the Power save mode as checked,  and Sleep is after 2 minutes.  Also in Settings, Developers options, stay awake is checked but I know this relates to when the tablet is being charged

Please can you advise me if there is any settings that I need to change or if I have been unlucky and have a faulty tablet and will need to return it to the Sony Store!

I was told that the tablet has an 'Eco Mode'  but that does not make sense because powering off means no mail check etc etc!

Ofiaich

88 REPLIES 88
profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

yes  I have read that the release6 firmware version updates a couple of applications (Socialife and Reader) and now supports the SGPSPK1 Speaker Dock.

I was hoping that other issues would have been fixed! 

Do you have a contact for Japan?  I can read, write and speak Japanese so I can ask them progress etc! :slight_smile:

I know though, that we just have to wait......

I will be there in January and will check out accessories etc for the Xperia Tablet S!

fee.666

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

just received an email from Sony Support telling me to update to release 6 and it will solve the issues.

I can pm you the persons name if you want me to.

Amazing to wait and wait just to get that kind of response, esepcially as I already told them I had updated to release 6!!

fee.666

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

yes please send me the info via PM & I'll see if I can get someone to check it out..

Hi,

yes please send me the info via PM & I'll see if I can get someone to check it out..

I was definately assured that the software update v4.0.3 (release 6) was NOT meant to contain a fix for the tablet switching off during prolonged sleep..

Last update I had was that the issue is being investigated by Sony Japan..

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi Thalamus,

I sent you a PM with details of the email.  I replied to that email and also added that release 6a was to fix VPN issues.

I have had no reply.......................

fee.666

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

fee.666 wrote:

Hi Thalamus,

I sent you a PM with details of the email.  I replied to that email and also added that release 6a was to fix VPN issues.

I have had no reply.......................

fee.666

Hmm well that's kind of embarrassing..:smileylaugh:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tuantung7c7
Visitor

hi guy!

im going to buy this device next month. but it still out of stock in uk sony site.

.the sleeping isssue have been resoved yet?

can i have any advice about this product

paulell45
Explorer

tuantung7c7,

I'm a great fan of Sony but based on my experience they seem to have little or no technical support if there's a problem with the Tablet. The Xperia S is out of stock in the UK because a manufacturing fault led to Sony stopping sales and recalling an unknown number of Tablets. Mine was one of them and the recall process has been spectacularly mismanaged. No refunds were offered, even through the tablets were faulty at time of purchase, no replacements were offered, instead Sony insisted that the tablets had to be sent off for repair. This was meant to take 5 working days but has taken far longer. Sony Customer Services have ignored complains even marking complaints sent via their web-based logging system as 'complete' when no action had been taken.

There are also issues with the length of time Sony seem willing to support their Tablet range. The previous generation of tablets, only a little over a year old, now seem more or less unsupported. It's very unlikely they will receive any further operating system updates and even key parts like a replacement power adapter are not available.

So I'd look elsewhere - at an iPad or a Samsung tablet. The power-off issue is symptomatic of a far larger problem I'm afraid.

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi tuantung7c7,

I agree with Paul.  My powering off problem has been resolved but NOT by Sony.  Please see Thufirtwo post on Ist November.

I have called Sony many times and they do not even call back when they say they will. 

My friend bought the much cheaper Nexus 7 and, except for the lack of a Nexus cradle, she is very happy with it.

fee.666

djruff
Visitor

Hi,

Got my Tablet back last week after a lengthy "VIP" repair, lasted less than a week before the problem reoccurred namely, 15 seconds after startup the screen locks up and a reboot starts. After 6 or 7 reboot cycles it will start up.

There are no third party management power management apps installed, same problem with or without an SD card.

Any one got any ideas before I go for a refund and try the orchard?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Hi djruff

Unbeleivable that Sony could not detect that before they sent it out.....

My Xperia's problem is a bit different to yours, but I have had no crashes since installing the WiFi app "advanced wifi lock" that ThufirTwo  suggested a few posts above.

I received another email from Sony Support a few days ago and was askeed to answer these questions.

- The current Android version.
- How frequent does issue happen a day?
- Do you receive any error / notification before or after the shutdown?
- Does it make any difference if ACAD was connected or not?

I already answered 1,2 and 3 and have no idea what ACAD is.

I hope your tablet gets fixed soon!

fee.666

Message was edited by: fee.666