Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to turn on 3D mode

tim2525
Explorer

Unable to turn on 3D mode

Last week I installed the new firmware (version 3179) on Bravia KD-55X8509C to fix the problem with slow remote control response.

Since then I have been unable to select 3D mode (either side-by-side or over-under). It appears to select it, but when you go Back it turns it off again.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I have reported this to Sony Customer Support  but all I get is stupid emails asking me to do a factory reset, disconnect external devices, install latest firmware, etc, etc.

Tags (1)
77 REPLIES 77
tim2525
Explorer

This morning I got an email from Sony Support saying  "your case has been escalated". I suppose that's good news.

I'm surprised no-one else has reported this problem, or maybe no-one uses 3D yet, or maybe it's just me.

Jgar1973
New

Same issue for me. A real pain when using PLEX app with 3D movies!  Let me know if any solutions come along. 

adyjay33

I have the same set so I will check tonight if my 3D works anymore and let you know if its an issue with this particular model.

All I can say is what a useless TV and how useless Sony is!

If it does not then I think it will have to go back and they can pay for the four glasses I bought too.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
TkBall
New

Same issue for me, and it's a pain with video apps like Plex/Emby/Kodi. Playback through the in built video app allows selection of 3D in the action menu but this option is context sensitive for some reason so disappears for all the other apps.

It should be available at all times as auto detect even where there is an external source is not 100% reliable.

makkku
Explorer

Same here. KDL-43W809C after latest firmware update (02.02.2016) is not able to produce 3D anymore. You turn it on (H-SBS or H-OU), but it turns off as soon as you leave the menu. Please fix that, Sony, and please be quick, or I'm returning the TV and the glasses. It's understandable to have occasional buggy update, but not fixing it quickly is really disturbing.

tim2525
Explorer

Thanks to everyone who has reported the same issue as me.  I chased Sony again, after being told that my case was being escalated, and mentioned that other people had reported the same problem.  I got a message back saying "your case is under investigation and we will update you as soon as possible".  Not very satisfactory.

I've now started chasing Currys and demanding a replacement or refund.  Their initial response was that I would have to deal with Sony, but eventually I got a call yesterday morning from their Knowhow team, sympathising with my problem, and saying that if I wanted to take the set back to the local store it would be at the manager's discretion.  I said I wasn't prepared to box the set up, drag it all the way across town to the store, have a blazing row with the manager and have to come all the way back empty handed.  The Knowhow guy promised to get in touch with the store manager and get him to ring me asap (you can't get a direct phone number for Currys stores for love or money).  That was yesterday morning, so far nothing....

adyjay33

Have done the update and my 3D works, however the 3D option is missing in the Action Menu list then takes around 25 seconds to appear by itself , this is using a Sony Blu Ray player.

I found out that thge TV needs to be on first or it does not recognise the player if you do it the other way round.

Its not very good at all really as they are both Sony products but seem incompatible with each other.

I also found its a lot harder to sync up the glasses now too, had to reboot the TV before it worked even though the Bluetooth was already on before the reboot.

Something is really amiss with this TV.

To be honest I am so close to losing this TV.

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Ive just discovered this thread after replying in another one:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/3d-function-on-kd-55x8509c/m-p/2121235

Are you all saying that the 3D options are missing in the Action menu?  

For the people who are having problems and havnt mentioned thier TV model number, can you please reply back with it.

Is anyone able to provide some photos as an example please?

Cheers

tim2525
Explorer

I've never used the action menu, I get to the 3D settings via Home >> Settings >> Display.

I need to manually select the 3d option when viewing downloaded Youtube videos.  This in itself is a pain - a dedicated button on the remote would have been nice. Maybe it does it automatically if you have a 3d disc player, but I don't.

In my case, I can select Side-by-side or Over-under, but the selection is not saved when you exit the menu.  More annoyingly, it then loses the Youtube video you were watching and reverts to the tv channel.

This only happened since the 2nd Feb update (v3179).  It was fine prior to that.

I saw the other post where the person couldn't see the options at all, but maybe he's not on the latest firmware.

In any event, I have now arranged with Currys to have the set taken away, and replaced with a Panasonic.  I'm an IT consultant so I know all about software bugs, but this tv is far and away the worst thing I've ever seen.  Likewise Sony's support (lack of) and complete disregard for customer satisfaction.

I was surprised that no-one at Currys was aware of any problems with the Sony Bravia.  Maybe that's just corporate policy.  But they agreed to the exchange readily enough.