Join now - be part of our community!

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

Got a brand new XZ3 a few months ago, updated to Android 10 and since then I noticed  since security update on Android 10 Build No. 52.1.A.3.74, I was unable to switch Hey Google voice match back on - it seemed to turn itself off?

Factory reset, cache/data clear, uninstall updates on Google app and software repaired the phone but it just says 'Something went wrong. Try again.' when I try to turn on Hey Google.
thread-68560551-10175818439589214593.jpeg

Since then, Sony support have just sent me running in circles with resent troubleshoot email templates telling me to factory reset again.

Loads of other XZ3 and XZ2 users mentioned the issue here, is anyone else having it and have you had any luck talking to Sony or Google about it?

Google support thread where people are discussing:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Reddit post by me

93 REPLIES 93
profile.country.GB.title
Derria
Explorer

Just tried to respond to your post and it looks like Sony are far too busy with next generation playstation virtual reality...that is possibly available with haptic support as early as Q1 2022.

Think at moment I am correct TBH.

Derrick (that is actually my correct first name) 

profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

Hello, 

I've spoken to sony and this was there response (2nd email reply).

Have you tried this?? 

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
We are sorry to learn that your XPERIA handset is not working properly.
With reference to your enquiry and as an attempt to resolve the issue, please follow the below steps:
-Software repair using Xperia Companion.
To download Xperia companion to your PC/Laptop click on the link below :
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets-mobile-phones/xperia-l3/articles/SX...
Please make sure to switch off your device and backup all of your data and memories on your G-drive, and do not plug it to the PC until the software asks you to do so.
Please visit the below link to back up your data :
https://helpguide.sony.net/mobile/xperia-1/v1/en/contents/backing-up-and-synchronizing-with-a-google...
Please note that you will need a PC for this step.
f the above steps didn’t resolve the issue, we appreciate If you can provide us with the below information so as to be able to investigate the matter further on your behalf:

What is the current Software Version and Android Version installed on the device? Please write the exact version.
Who is the Network Operator / Mobile Network Provider? (Orange, Vodafone, Proxiumus etc)
When has the issue started to occur?
What feature or application were you using when the issue happened?
What was the latest app you installed recently?
If you use any third party device please add it below
Please send us any screen shsots you have.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

@Derria Why did you post that?

profile.country.GB.title
Derria
Explorer

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately Sony are probably confused that so simple BUT it is not the update that is the ISSUE rather it is one of the companion services. 

If you take a look on PlayStore it will be quite obvious as there in black and white there is solution.... apparently all that is required you need to do is to uninstall one of companion services that has a + icon.

Would be more specific but got so annoyed with myself that I got so carried away that have now uninstalled too many services and am now not sure how to get the Apps icon back. 

Wish Sony was a bit more direct as I have tried and solutions has worked for me not so sure quite have been affected on my phone ***** 

Derrick 🙄😥🤗

profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

Derrick,

Please, when you are calm and less annoyed, could you be more specific in what you did? 

If this fixes the problem, then you are the MAN! 

Thanks

Craig

profile.country.GB.title
Derria
Explorer

Hi Craig,

Apologies not really feasible I have done something stupid to my poor Sony
Xperia phone and diffucult as you might understand until I worked out which
services needs fixed first. . .

Looks like the it issue is that one on the Sony Companion apps merely needs
uninstalled to allow the new one to takeover and . . . BOOM . . . problem
fixed.

Hard to be specific but all I can recall for sure is that the service's
icon had a plus sign as it icon and I think there is only one BUT the
latest update info tells you anyway.

Good to help tbh . . . being bug the hell out of me for quite sometime . .

Derrick
profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Finally, the update we needed, this is acknowledged by Sony and will be fixed in a coming update, well done all for helping escalate this issue!

Thank you for contacting Sony Support
With reference to your enquiry, we are sorry to learn that you are facing an issue with Google assistant on your Xperia XZ3.

Sony is developing a permanent fix with utmost urgency that will be implemented in the upcoming SW version (TBD).
You will automatically receive it when your phone is connected to the internet.

In the mean time, I'd recommend that you can manually activate the Google Assistant by:

-Double-clicking the power button

-Touch and hold the Home button

profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

Absolutely fantastic news!!!

Well done everyone 👍

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Hello all:  I email support about once every two weeks. I did so yesterday, and they called me and said that "engineering" told them that there would be a SW update by end of February.  Since that has not happened, they will contact engineering to see why there is a delay, and call me back.

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Support called me..."engineering" apologizes for not yet releasing the update, and said it will be "soon".  He said that two others have the same complaint, likely two others on this thread.