Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
chrgray

If the Sony engineers need evidence of what is happening, I've put a video up on YouTube. Analysing it more, the image appears to jump back a few frames every so often, making it completely unwatchable.

http://youtu.be/5-myt8ZoVvY

In my case, I've given John Lewis 24 hours to talk to Sony about the issue and to establish timescales for the so-called firmware fix.  Although initially they claimed that firmware wasn't covered by the warranty, only the hardware - what a cheek!! Then they wanted to send their own engineer out, which seemed pointless given that Sony have already accepted these TVs are faulty.

palmeri8145
Explorer

This is exactly the juddering effect that I experience and which initiated
this thread. Well done for capturing it and posting on YouTube.
Ian

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have been in contact with Sony in regards to this issue - they have confirmed that they are working on a firmware update fix.  At the moment ETA is unknown.

In the meantime please refer to the work-arounds in:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/133958

Cheers

chrgray

Just a quick update in case this helps Sony diagnose the problem.  This is NOT a 10-bit problem.  I forced the Sky Q Silver box into 2160p 8-bit mode, and the juddering is just as bad 😞

chrgray

I despair with Sony Support. They are now refusing to answer my support question on this fault because I can't tell them what version of HDMI cable I'm using, asking "Is it HMDI version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, 1.3b1, 1.3c, 1.4, 1.4a, 1.4b, 2.0, 2.0a or 2.1?"  Do they not understand the difference between HDMI interface versions and HDMI cable versions?

So, Sony won't give me any support on this fault until I answer an impossible question.  All I'm asking them is when this fault will be fixed. If it's not going to be before 13th August, then I'll be pursuing a refund from John Lewis, who can't get an answer to this simple question either.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

So I am assuming it is a waste of time upgrading to SkyQ right now?

profile.country.GB.title
Mp01sta
Explorer

Just received a sw update on my Sony KD-43X8307C hopefully this might have a fix for these issues. Now running 5.1.1 LMY48E.S243 3.473

chrgray

@Mp01sta, that version was released 19th July and doesn't fix these faults. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@chrgray wrote:

I despair with Sony Support. They are now refusing to answer my support question on this fault because I can't tell them what version of HDMI cable I'm using, asking "Is it HMDI version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, 1.3b1, 1.3c, 1.4, 1.4a, 1.4b, 2.0, 2.0a or 2.1?"  Do they not understand the difference between HDMI interface versions and HDMI cable versions?

So, Sony won't give me any support on this fault until I answer an impossible question.  All I'm asking them is when this fault will be fixed. If it's not going to be before 13th August, then I'll be pursuing a refund from John Lewis, who can't get an answer to this simple question either.

As I am sure you are well aware, HDMI cables are either Standard or High Speed.

Decline to speak to anyone from Sony who does not understand this, by politely but firmly asking to speak to the supervisor of anyone who asks for your 'cable HDMI version'. Keep climbing the tree, and when you reach someone who understands (if ever), ask them to re-educate their subordinates.

Or get John Lewis to replace your set with one from a reliable make; me, I like Samsungs.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
chrgray

Another press story about the problem, although they say that "the issue will be resolved before this week has even finished."  Can Sony confirm that timescale?

http://4k.com/news/sony-4k-tvs-are-incapable-of-watching-the-sky-q-uk-content-service-but-a-fix-is-o...