Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Mr_Zed
Explorer

Thanks all for your contributions, fwiw the reboot/power reset and Factory Reset did not solve this but as last time it returned when BBC/Sony applied the fix.

Came back yesterday though with several programs not working, but is today working normally.

profile.country.en_GB.title
cageyr
Explorer

Many thanks to Quinnicus for the BBC links. Very impressive follow up from the BBC too - this received today:

Thanks for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support team.
We know that a number of users were having problems playing programmes via BBC iPlayer on their Sony Bravia TV.
We investigated this in full and believe that as of the early hours of Tuesday 5 January that the service should have returned back to normal.
We’re very sorry for any problems that this caused and we can confirm that this issue was a priority for us.
We hope you can now get back to enjoying BBC iPlayer and getting back to watching your favourite programmes.
Thanks again for contacting us.
Kind Regards
BBC iPlayer Support Team

Krusher_59
Explorer

Unfortunately mine was working last night but tonight has once again failed.

And its impossible to find how to contact the BBC iPlayer support team!

Anyone else find its still not working?

Mine is still OK (KDL 32EX403)
DavidR1944
Explorer

So is mine! I am watching Sherlock on the i-player at the moment. DavidR1944
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Krusher_59 - just going back on your previous posts.  Im not too sure on your model tv, only that its the NX series.  

Can you ensure that your firmware is upto date on the tv and then do a factory reset.  

Reason is that its working for others, so something must be different on your end.

Cheers

Rubertel
Explorer

I bought a KDL-48R550C in France at the weekend and when I first ran the setup procedure BBC iPlayer, News, Sport etc appeared in the 'Internet Content' list along with Netflix, Amazon Instant Movie etc.

Checking an hour or so later, all the BBC items and Amazon had dispeared, I've done a factory reset and Amazon has reappeared but no BBC.

I use a SmartDNS service to access the BBC IPlayer from other devices without problems and YouTube on the TV thinks I'm in the UK.

chrgray

Which country are you in - France?  AFAIK, firmware updates etc. on Android TVs are based on your IP address.  I think you'll need to have a UK (or Ireland?) IP address to get the UK services.

Rubertel
Explorer

Thanks for the reply,

I am in France but use a VPN back to the UK, so have a UK IP address.

chrgray

Okay, without knowing the specifics about your VPN setup it's difficult to advise.  What firmware version is the TV on?  Some suggestions:

1. Verify that your TV is seeing the UK IP address.
  2. Try a factory reset.
  3. Download the UK firmware onto USB and update the TV.

How have you configured the TV to use the VPN?