Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

If your iPlayer is not working, please reboot your TV as its working on my KDL-43W805C

Also it would help if you list the model numbers of your TV.  Has this only occured since 31st dec - please postbin this thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/bbc-iplayer-outage-31st-dec-2015/td-p/2082647

Cheers

Mr_Zed
Explorer

Was working fine on NYE,

Tried An internet Refresh and rebooting the TV, still get the cannot access the server message, by reboot do you mean a Factory Reset because that didn’t clear it for me in Nov?

Hello again!

KDL-32EX403 - Same problem here ‘temporarily cannot access server’

Tried switch-off TV power and switch-on again. (Sony call this a “power reset”)

This changed the symptoms: ‘file not found’ message appears, followed by BBC iplayer start-up screen, but it ‘hangs’ at that point.

Also tried switch-off/on my router, but no change to symptoms

I am suspicious that the power reset has enabled reconnection to Sony, but that there is no further connectivity following the BBC’s problems. The BBC weather site on my PC was reluctant to work after their sites crashed, too. That was resolved by re-accessing it first via Google (not sure now exactly what I did). Looks rather like an addressing issue somewhere.

For Quinnicus:

I too am uncertain about what you mean by “reboot”. Please explain! The word does not appear in the instruction manual. I rather doubt that a factory reset (Sony website contains details under FAQ) will fix this.

profile.country.GB.title
Whitedb

Same problem for me.  I see a brief message "file not found" and then get the "temporarily cannot access server’.

Both my KDL32EX-503 ane KDL40EX-703, bought at similar time, show the problem. My newer KDL32EX-723 still works fine.

It looks like it is a re-occurence of the November problem and needs a fix from Sony or the BBC.  As there was no firmware change last time I suspect the BBC fixed something that is now un-fixed.  

I am not holding my breath and will not invest in a smart TV in future but buy a cheap add on box that can be changed easily.  I am very disappointed with Sony.  I am now using the iPlayer app on my AppleTV4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys

Sorry for using the term  'reboot' - my head was stuck on the 2015 Android TVs, and without knowing at the time of your tv model numbers i assumed...

Anyhow, it looks like its the 2010 models that are effected.  I will report this to Sony, but as its the weekend, after new year, its unlikely i will get any info until monday.  

To speed things up a bit, can you all submit a fault report to the bbc as well:

https://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/forms/?eid=tech_report&mid=content&url=%2ftv%2ftech_report

Cheers

AntiSony
Explorer

This is an issue which has occured on more than one occasion with certain Sony Bravia Smart TV's.

BBC iPlayer and Sony blame each other for the problem, but apparently the cause is due to the fact that this particular version of iPlayer is now outdated and so it has subsequently become a low priority fix.

I gave up on it after the last lengthy wait and bought a NOW TV box which has a more up to date version of BBC iPlayer, and also includes YouTube (which was previously discontinued on my Sony Bravia TV).

It seems that TV boxes are the way to go in future because TV manufacturers do not appear to be under any legal obligation to divulge to customers when third-party content is due to expire, and it's a lot cheaper to buy a TV box than a new smart TV ! 

I would almost certainly have bought a less expensive TV if I'd known that access to YouTube and then BBC iPlayer were going to be discontinued within 3 years of buying my Sony Bravia TV, and as far as I'm concerned, in future it will only be the picture quality and price that will determine which TV I buy, and certainly not the limited third-party services that come with it.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Antisony wrote:

I gave up on it after the last lengthy wait and bought a NOW TV box 

Hi there

This may sound a little rough, but unsure how to phrase this better....  But why are you here complaining?  Watch iPlayer on your NowTV and enjoy as this issue doesnt effect you any longer :slight_smile:

I followed Quinnicus’ suggestion to tell the BBC today. Perhaps that was the reason! Anyhow, iplayer is now working again.

For all sorts of IT gadgets, following a switch-off/switch-on, it does sometimes seem that trying again the next day is worthwhile. But can’t say why.

profile.country.en_GB.title
secret_squirrel
Explorer

Yep up and running on my set too. I reported the fault via the BBC website on Friday. It's the first thing I do now after checking this forum to see if others are also experiencing a fault.  I guess the more of us that do that when a problem with iplayer arises the more priority will be given to it. At least this time it didn't take too long to fix! Anyone know if it was related to the issue raised in the other post regarding the cyber attack on the BBC website?

DavidR1944
Explorer

Yes, now working on my 32EX503 set! I wonder who did what - and whether it was related to the cyber-attack issue the BBC had on Thursday. Anyway, thankfully back in business! DavidR1944