Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Longbow8

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

Yeap was back up yesterday (lunchtime I verified).  Thanks to everyone that communicated with bbc/sony.  Let's hope this doesn't happen again soon.

AntiSony
Explorer

Thank you for the links, Longbow. I've read so many reviews about various solutions, but to be fair, they confused me and left me even more undecided. Most reviews recommend a wired connection between the Smart box and router, but this is not possible in my house as the router is in a different room.  I currently use a Vonets Wi-fi Bridge which plugs into the TV's ethernet port and is powered by it's only USB port. This allows me to access BBC iPlayer and the other available apps which Sony allows, and it works very well. Despite the wireless connection, I don't have a problem with buffering at the moment because I have BT Infinity 2 broadband which is quite fast. 

However, I would like to be able to access YouTube, ITV player and C4 player in addition to BBC iPlayer, but I'm not really interested in the many other available Smart box features (eg. Netflix). My other great wish is to be able to pause live TV, but as far as I'm aware, this is only possible with subscription based boxes such as Sky, so I'll have to do without that facility. 

tojohns51
Explorer

Hi AntiSony, read your post and thought I'd mention a current offer on the BT TV Youview box as you appear to be a BT infinty customer.

After losing the iPlayer on my Sony TV I took the plunge and ordered the BT box. Was advertised at £7 per month for 12 month contract but as I also managed to negotiate a better broadband and calls deal it has ended up costing less than a fiver a month. (There was a one off £6.95 delivery charge)

It has all the catchup channels, 4 BT Sport channels, loads of extras such as National Geographic HD. It pauses and rewinds live TV and is a 300 hour recorder. It does everything you seem to want except Youtube.

AntiSony
Explorer

Thanks for the info on the BT TV Youview box, tojohns51. I'll contact BT and see if I can negotiate a good deal. The box seems to provide most of my needs. YouTube isn't as important as the other things.

Carolelbbs
Explorer

A one off purchase of a youview box and pvr from humax is a subscription free alternative to the bt version. Sent from my phone. My apologies for any typos.
robox11
Explorer

BBC iplayer not workinng again, dreaded 'Temporarily cannot access the server' has returned just in time for Christmas and new year. KDL 32EX403

Drifter47

Yep, I noticed this last night and wondered if it was naything to do with the latest news that BBC experienced a denial of service attack. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35213415. I was lucky as I had the NOWTV to hand so the programme I wanted was viewed via that but and I think a big but is that this provider does not have all the programmes that are availbale on the iPlayer.

robox11
Explorer

Don't think it's the service attack as I've had no access to the player for 3 or 4 days.