Join now - be part of our community!

New WinDVD BD update 8.0.9.301_3 dated 17.03.08

marcoda
Visitor

New WinDVD BD update 8.0.9.301_3 dated 17.03.08

Has anyone had any luck installing this update?
Tried with my FZ21Z running Vista and get message "a fatal error has occurred while installing WinDVD" at the Installshield Wizard. The green progress bar only gets half way.
Any ideas?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

My laptop is pretty new so it must be almost factory settings, i havent changed much! but i still have the error. :slight_frown: 

Hi Nintensity,

are you able to recover your Vaio back to factory settings and then try to install the Win DVD 8.0.9.301_3 update.?

ShockWhistler
Visitor

Hi,

I recently purchased the AR61S but can't play blu-ray discs properly. The playback is extremely slow and jerky (if there's any at all).

The paperwork I got with the laptop warned me this would happen and told me to download and install the latest update. However, when I tried to install this update, vaio update told me it was unsuccessful and that it needs to be installed manually. When installed manually, the computer tells me it's successfull but when the computer restarts and vaio update re-opens, it tells me the update failed to install.

I tried doing this several times both before and after vista sp1 with no results. I am able to play back blu ray discs perfectly using PowerDVD Ultra but the High Definition playback doesn't seem so high. In any case, this confirms the problem is software related and not hardware.

When is Sony going to release a working update?

Many thanks.

P.S. My WinDVD version is 8.0 DXVA B09.254

helloimgeoff1
Visitor

blada blada blada..."A fatal error has occured while installing WinDVD" - got to 1/4 of the green bar. AR51SU.

Nintensity
Visitor

My laptop is pretty new so it must be almost factory settings, i havent changed much! but i still have the error. :slight_frown: 

Hi Nintensity,

are you able to recover your Vaio back to factory settings and then try to install the Win DVD 8.0.9.301_3 update.?

what does this involve? will i lose my updates and programs?

helloimgeoff1
Visitor

Hi Nintensity,

You lose everything to start, then reinstall Windows Vista, and the applications which came with your VAIO when you got it new.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Nintensity,

Hi Nintensity,

thanks for the reply.. :slight_smile:

Yes the Vaio recovery utility will format your hard drive, then reinstall the original Sony supplied OS and all of the pre-installed applications..

Further information can be found on page 33 in Sony's guide on the procedure, use the following link to view the Guide: Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide

NetHolik
Visitor

Hi,
just wanted to say that for my vaio running Vista it went smooth. No problems.

Regards,
Rafal.

b1098s
Visitor

Hi, own a AR41S, same problem here. Fatal error after 1/3 of the installation. Current version is 8.0.8.425 and no SP1.
I am not restoring my machine to hope it works, Sony needs to solve this or I buy other equipment next time. I am also having issues with my remote, only works 2 of 10 times. For this kind of money I expect all issues to be resolved.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

kendo88 posted: installed fine here, on my FZ21M running vista.

and
NetHolik posted: Hi,
just wanted to say that for my vaio running Vista it went smooth. No problems.

yet
kingpuiwong posted:my WinDVD version is 8.0 DXVA B08.425, on a FZ21M.

luminessence posted:same problem with my FZ21Z and my WinDVD version is: 8.0 DXVA B08.425

It's strange that the update installs on some FZ21M model but not on others..

I guess that why Sony Support have requested that someone runs the Vaio recovery, as this would eliminate any possible conflicts by third party applications, Vista updates, etc... :thinking:

Chanandler
Visitor

I'm getting the same error when trying to install the update.

My Vaio is running Vista (no sp1 though) and 8.0 DXVA B08.425

Is it a good idea to uninstall the old version first? I wasn't sure as I have done this before and found out that the new versions are update versions and won't install if the original has been removed.