Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-A845 To quiet.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
popplewolf
Visitor

NWZ-A845 To quiet.

Not realy a question, just a point to Sony in the U.K.

You've made the thing to damb quiet to listen to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi popplewolf,

welcome to the Club VAIO Questions & Answers forum..

I believe new MP3 players  have had there output levels reduced due to new EU rules..

The  EU has passed a ruling, following concerns that listening to the  portable music players at high volume could cause hearing damage, that  MP3 players must not be louder than a maximum setting at 85 decibels.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi popplewolf,

welcome to the Club VAIO Questions & Answers forum..

I believe new MP3 players  have had there output levels reduced due to new EU rules..

The  EU has passed a ruling, following concerns that listening to the  portable music players at high volume could cause hearing damage, that  MP3 players must not be louder than a maximum setting at 85 decibels.

w4rmachin3
Visitor

I just got an NWZ-E453 and it has the same problem, way too quiet. This just ruins an otherwise great product.
My NWZ-B135 stick walkman is just as loud at only half volume.

It seems Sony has a history of crippling walkmans by adhering to EU loudness guidelines. They did the same thing on the old NZ-A1000's, luckily a way was found to disable the volume limitation through a hidden service menu.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi w4rmachin3,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I think you'll find that Sony are not alone in following this EU ruling..:smileywink:

profile.country.da_DK.title
mikaelbille
Visitor

Have the same problem with my NWZ-E453. Anyone have a solution?

profile.country.nl_NL.title
Propheticus
Visitor

I've been reading all the complaints about the volume being too low just after I ordered my NWZ-A845. I was afraid I would be disappointed, but with the 'standard' (they're really good actualy) earplugs 20/30 on older music and 16/30 on newer (due to loudness war) music sounds really loud to me. I don't think I'll listen to anything over 20/30 as it actually hurts my ears....

So my questions to you: are you either a: starting to become deaf (which this whole law is supposed to prevent :smileygrin:) or b: using large (high impedance) over-ear headphones?

A possible solution in both cases; buy a battery powered headphone amplifier. Amazon or ebay have them. Another possibility: use more efficient headphones or ones with a lower impedance.

Anyway, In my opinion mp3-/mp4-players should still give the option to increase the volume. It's a good thing the EU wants to 'protect' people from deafening themselves but sometimes you need more power. For example when hooking up to an amplifier or carstereo that work best with 5v in. Just make the default setting 'save' and add a setting to change this default to a higher output. You can display a clear warning of the risks every time someone raises the volume past a certrain level. If people ignore that it's their own fault and their own responsability. You could even add some sort of parental control for the parents that want to protect younger kids that don't/can't read the warning (or just ignore it :smileysilly:) .

profile.country.da_DK.title
nwz-e453
Visitor

Hi,
Here is the combination for the servicemenu:
Back 1,5 seconds
Hold ON
Right
Left
Volume UP
Volume Down
Right
Left
Option
Back
Option
Back
Now it should restart, then set Hold to Off.
Under Audio you can change the settings.
Remember to be careful.
profile.country.it_IT.title
ale.epifanio
Visitor

I followed your advice and it worked.
But then the radio was not working.
I did a reset and the mp3 and you 'reset and you and' the language is set japponese
I reset the language, but since then the radio sees only the bands ranging
76 to 90 mhz .....
What can I do??

please help me!!!

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Taiji971
Visitor

Hi,

it doesn't work for me.

I Have a NWZ-A844 but i think it's the same (just mine is a 8go).

greendust
Visitor

The LCD Screen for my NWZA 845B walkman cracked at the top left corner and has the potential to crack downwards. Does any one know how I can have it replaced and would it be anything like the original after repairs. It is so fragile.. even with a soft case. Many thanks