Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer no longer loading on BRAVIA TV (Dec 2013)

SOLVED
Lawsonfen
Explorer

BBC iPlayer no longer loading on BRAVIA TV (Dec 2013)

Help please,  Yesterday Iwas the first time I gave been unable to connect via my Sony Bravia tTV to iBBC Player

A couple of days ago - when watching regular TV - message boxes suggesting use of alternate HD channels pop up when, for instance I am watching BBC1.  Since these appeared I am unable to connect via my Sony Bravia TV to iPlayer. All other internet connections are fine and it loads 5 on demand, Sky News, YouTube etc fine. The only fault is with iPlayer.

I have been through the Bravia systems and used Fadtory Reset and reconnected and checked my broadband  wirless network - I use Virgin Media n- all of which do not solve the problem,

When trying to load t I get a fault screen stating that there may be Netwirk issues.

Any assistance/advice would be very gratefully recieved.  Thank you.

96 REPLIES 96
profile.country.GB.title
3l3ctronica
Explorer

I love the way that Sony and the BBC have said that they've been able to replicate the problem. It's as if they're trying to say that all of us who've reported the issue are somehow wrong and are all fools in the operation of our devices. Or is this me being to cynical?
profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

How can the fix what they can't replicate and on which devices? Its not failed on all Sony devices so need to narrow down the root cause first and what the issue is.

So yes you are being cynical :wink:

Bill_C
Explorer

So, what caused it to break in the first place?

It would be reassuring to get some direct feedback from the techs who are working on this - there's been a staggering lack of hard technical and timescale information about this problem, especially considering it's been broken for days now.

Bill_C
Explorer

being able to replicate an error is a useful first step in debugging software faults. When you can't replicate the reported error, it can be pretty hard to know where to begin looking.

What I don't understand is that it worked fine and then stopped. A technical explanation would be reassuring ...

retromart
Explorer

As I said in an earlier post - "Customer Service starts with effective communications"

We have had nothing solid from either Sony or BBC since the problem started I think on Friday 13th Dec.

Have they made a iplayer upgrade?  changed the video renderer ?, or had a denial of service attack?

What have they done to restore the unusable front end display page?

This forum is packed with years of experienced technical people, we deserve better than this,

If Sony wants to protect its fanbase they need to keep it well informed.

I'm getting rather frustrated and even angtry now at that lack of feedback which would reassure us and stop these frustration posts. Christmas is coming fast viewers deserve better treatment!

profile.country.en_GB.title
Batfinkk

@retromart StartTheCar posted earlier this evening explaining that it was presently under investigation. As iPlayer is probably the most importand service on the system and BBC updated their website to reflect an issue, I think that gives you a measure to how seriously its being taken.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

I can guarantee that there has not been any firmware update on my Bravia tv so I am pretty sure that is not the cause of the iPlayer problem.

There have been lots of posts asking for information from Sony and it seems the Experts have been trying there best to get what they can and keep us updated of which I am thankful.

At least we have had some communication from Sony try contacting the BBC on the BBC iPlayer site. In my opinion I suspect that it is the BBC Iplayer and not Sony where the problem lies.

Which seems to be backed up by comment in the BBC's latest update-

We have been able to replicate the problem and are working on a fix as a priority.

We'll update this FAQ when further progress is known.

profile.country.GB.title
clecky
Explorer

Cynical

Sent from my iPad
SirCumfy

As others have stated, it does note seem possible to load iPlayer, but the navigation is seriously screwy,for example, I navigate up to TVand when I select it takes me to a programme rather than the list of programmes, and from there the only escape is the return button,so basically it's pretty unusable.

Clearly, something was changed which stoppediPlayer working properly.What I don't understand is why instead of leaving a large user community without any access and not being very forthcoming with updates, why not roll backthe change that was made so that people can continue to use iPlayer, whilst they work on identifying the fault and resolving it. Then they could re- implement the new release.
retromart
Explorer

Well great expectations this morning at 7am when I turned on my TV. "Software update available".

So I took the install - PKG4-022EUA-0104  up from 021EUA version.

Rescanned the Network Devices and tried iplayer. No change - Bah.

Powered off TV and rebooted from cold.- no change.

Still unnavigable and even the Help screen is useless. The settings seems to work a bit but the Parent Control button highlights at he same time as the Back button, so the only way out is to pull the rug on Internet Video.

Re contacting the BBC, I have posted on the iplayer sight, but its a one way to a black hole, with no response

and no visibility of others postings. So what good that does is anyones guess!?

So still no technical position from the Powers that be at Sony/BBC.

Its no good our senior members getting protective, we all know that find and fixing takes time.

I have been in IT service for 30 years and I can tell you all there is NO WAY I would have been able to get away with this major lack of feedback to my customers!!!!