Join now - be part of our community!

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

SOLVED
Longbow8

[Nov 2015] BBC iPlayer - Temporarily cannot access the server

Suddenly, no access to Iplayer and error message "Temporarily cannot access the server". TV is hard wired to router at 40Mbps. Computers working OK. Menu option Network>View network status>Check connection gives OK for cable, local access and internet. Refresh Internet Connection does Authenticate and Acquire successfully. However Server diagnostics reports "servers could not be found". Server list is empty and the menu option Update Server List results in a similar "server cannot be found error". Software is latest

PKG4.131EUL-0108

Anyone know what the gremlin is please? Frequently suggested hammer blows of General Setup>Factory Reset and power reset have had no effect.

152 REPLIES 152
Longbow8

Update. Sony Support said they are aware and hope to fix by Friday ( 27 Nov 15 ). Incidentally BBC iPlayer site now says "We have been in contact with Sony who are currently working on a solution". 

Same problem here, KDL 32EX403, Current firmware is  pkg4 131eul 0108.

Contacted Sony support and they replied -

I regards to the issue you are facing with BBC Iplayer, please note that a newer software version is available for your TV that should fix the issue.
Please check the below link to get the latest software update.
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/bravia-kdlw-firmware-update-v2601/KDL-42W706B

Update with firmware for totaly different model  ?!? I dont't think they're taking this seriously.

DavidR1944
Explorer

The suggested firmware update does not seem to be applicable to all affected sets including my KDL 32EX503.

profile.country.en_GB.title
cageyr
Explorer

Bravia KDL-32EX403 and same symptoms. (The Sky News thingy has been hopelessly out of date for as long as I can remember.)

Thanks for clarifying that my 'Sky thingy' is not the only one hopelessly out of date. As for the iplayer, we will all await developments.

profile.country.GB.title
Whitedb

Count me in too. Kdl-32ex503 & kdl-40ex713 both with no iplayer and "temporarily cannot access the server.  Please retry".  Not very smart, smart tv's.  Come on Sony please supply a firmware update.

A further thought:

The fault message wording:

"Temporarily cannot access the server.  Please retry"

would be much improved (an more useful to the user) if the name or web address of the relevant server were provided.

Longbow8

Yes I agree the actual error message would be a better title. Hi Quinnicus can you please change it as you edited the original. Thanks.

Longbow8

Hi Cageyr, Thanks for mentioning that you have problems with Sky thingy as well. That was next on my list to sort out and you've saved me a lot of effort.

GR_Dragons
Explorer

I have been in touch with Sony and now received this responce from them:-

Thank you for contacting Sony support. We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing difficulties accessing BBC IPlayer.

The BBC IPlayerwebsite cites maintenance costs of the IPlayerV2 service as being the reason.
In March 2014 the BBC informed the market via the BBC blog that they had started rolling out a new version of BBC IPlayer: designed for a multi-screen world, so the experience is consistent, and optimised across PC, tablet, mobile and TV devices.

As part of this BBC’s strategy they will, where possible, migrate devices to the new version. The BBC claim that the version IPlayer used on your device, is currently only being used by a small percentage of BBC IPlayer users, and as a consequence has taken the decision to close the version of IPlayerused by your device.

Link to BBC IPlayer site:
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/connected/closing_version2_iPlayer

And I have responded with:-

Wow - are you saying my not that old TV has become redundant already?  75% of its usage is iPlayer.

Surely this is just a case of getting the right software updated on to the TV to work with a newer version of iPlayer - I wouldn't have thought it was in anyway a hardware problem?

Model and serial number have already been provided -  but here they are again:

Our TV model number is KDL-32EX406

and serial number 9143534

The BBC site says Sony are working on a fix.

Come on guys stop blaming each other and get this sorted.